• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Card Captor Sakuga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megumikomeshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
You kept talking about Yotsuba&! when I think you mean Azumanga Daioh. Just sayin', unless there was actually in the last twelve months an anime and a dubbed version of the show made that I didn't hear about.

Last edited by megumikomeshi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

Anyway...personally, I was asking about the anime. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it got released here, even if only in a subtitled-DVD release. Come on, Sentai, get on it. Didn't it do pretty well on Crunchyroll?

I'd probably blind-buy the Yuruyuri anime if it got a physical release. I'd also buy the Yuruyuri manga if only it was also licensed for good old-fashioned paper and not just digital manga. (I don't have a tablet or an eReader and I have no interest in getting one either.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
If I believe Wikipedia, Comic Yuri Hime has a 70% female readership. But Yuru Yuri first came out in Comic Yuri Hime S, which was targetted towards males. None of this answers the real point, which is the age range targetted.

Ichijinsha said in 2008 that Comic Yuri Hime had a readership that was:
27% 10-19
27% 20-24
23% 25-29
23% 30~

And yes 70% female, 30% male like was said.

Maybe that will help, though it's old data.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This is nitpicky but in one question he refers to a manga (Yotsuba) as a show. And in the last question the kid is talking about the Yuri yuri anime, and he refers to it as a manga. He says keep reading...... What is up with that, it almost looks like he is not reading the entire question or just giving lazy responses.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched the show. Does Hazumu start off as a girl inside a boy's body, or a boy inside a boy's body? And if it is the latter, when Hazumu's body changes, does his mind change too, or does it stay the same?

What I'm getting at is maybe Hazumu's relationship with Tomari is only physically Yuri, and that Hazumu is still a boy inside. If a boy (physically and psychologically) becomes trapped in a girl's body, does that mean his once-heterosexual feelings for his love interest suddenly becomes lesbianism just because his outward appearance has changed?

Like I said, I haven't watched the show, so I have no idea what his sexual and gender identity was before the transformation. But if Hazumu was a boy whose body was changed into a girl's, then I can understand why Vaisaga would say that maybe he's just accepted the hand he was dealt
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hazumu spoiler[ starts out as a boy, is accidentally killed by a falling alien spacecraft, and is brought back to life, but as girl for some reason.] been some time since i watched the show, but I beleive Hazumu's mind spoiler[still works like a guy's].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It did. The other girls had to even teach her how to act like a girl.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've never watched the show. Does Hazumu start off as a girl inside a boy's body, or a boy inside a boy's body? And if it is the latter, when Hazumu's body changes, does his mind change too, or does it stay the same?

Hazumu's generally read as MtF transgender, the flashbacks across the series make it very clear that she was always more comfortable taking on more "female" mannerisms and activities.

And at no point does she ever even mention wanting to be a boy again, in fact, she's pretty much the only person who never brings this up.

The entire show basically hammers home that Hazumu is far more comfortable as a girl than she ever was as a boy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Hazumu's generally read as MtF transgender, the flashbacks across the series make it very clear that she was always more comfortable taking on more "female" mannerisms and activities.

Vaisaga wrote:
It did. The other girls had to even teach her how to act like a girl.

Hmm, these two statements do not agree with one another

Fencedude5609 wrote:
The entire show basically hammers home that Hazumu is far more comfortable as a girl than she ever was as a boy.

Well from what little I know about the show, I could see why Hazumu would be happier now. After all, girl-version-Hazumu now has the love and attention of Hazumu's crush, a girl who would never have gone out with boy-version-Hazumu.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

They only had to teach her things like sitting when wearing a skirt and putting on bras.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
"Sakuga" analysis seems like a lot of anal-retentive overthinking. Good animation is always appreciated, sure, but going on for hours in panels about who the best Animation Supervisor is? Wow.

Most of the time people get "animation" confused with the art style and character designs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

As Hitokiri mentions, its stuff like "how to wear a bra" (especially since Hazumu's fairly well endowed), "don't spread your legs when wearing a skirt" that sort of thing. Hazumu otherwise was already very...well..."girly" in hobbies and interests and mannerisms.

Quote:
Well from what little I know about the show, I could see why Hazumu would be happier now. After all, girl-version-Hazumu now has the love and attention of Hazumu's crush, a girl who would never have gone out with boy-version-Hazumu.

While this is true, that also never feels like a hugely motivating factor for her. Compare Natsuru from Kampfer (for all I loathe that series) for an example of a cis-male who's clearly uncomfortable in a female body.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Interpretation, really. I think Fencedude is looking too much into it. Hazumu was your typical 'boy who gets criticized for being too girly' (he likes gardening! That's girly!) characters. Of course she's happier as a girl because people just plain old treat her better simply because she's a girl (girly boy = bad, girly girl = good!).

Just because he was a boy that had stereotypically feminine traits doesn't make him a transgender.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
"Sakuga" analysis seems like a lot of anal-retentive overthinking. Good animation is always appreciated, sure, but going on for hours in panels about who the best Animation Supervisor is? Wow.

Most of the time people get "animation" confused with the art style and character designs.

That's a bit harsh. Most of the people that do the analysing do it becasue they have a strong interest in the animation as well as the context in which it's presented, in my case i intend to get into the animation industry at some point but generally it's done to better one's understanding of the art form. I know i'm biased but i wouldn't call it "anal-retentive overthinking". Confused
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Interpretation, really. I think Fencedude is looking too much into it. Hazumu was your typical 'boy who gets criticized for being too girly' (he likes gardening! That's girly!) characters. Of course she's happier as a girl because people just plain old treat her better simply because she's a girl (girly boy = bad, girly girl = good!).

Why did the reconstruction change Hazumu sex into being female? Even the alien mentioned it should not have occurred (and their systems never error). I think the logical interpretation is she was always a girl inside, just born with discrepancy between her self (gender) and her sex. The system saw the error and corrected it. While Hazumu struggles with many issues afterwards, being female is not one of them. That you can now see her face is another strong clue (whereas when her sex was male, her eyes were covered). This also explains why Yasuna could partially see Hazumu while she was still male whereas she cannot see any other male, including her own father! (inside, Hazumu was always female).

As far as Tomari goes, yes, she struggled with whether she loved Hazumu after she became female (sex). Tomari did, eventually, spoiler[resolve that she still loved Hazumu. One could also interpret it as Tomari discovering she was, in fact, bi or that love can transcend gender. The manga doesn't say what Tomari considers herself to be, but it's clear she can only love Hazumu and Hazumu alone (see the ending).]

As far as Hazumu goes, she showed 0 interest in Asuta so there's no evidence she liked anything but females.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6