• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am Xam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

After on the last shell life i believe you give the anime version of devil may cry an auto perishable even though I liked it a lot.

That wasn't an "auto" perishable. If I remember correctly, it was a super-lame story. Maybe if I'd play the game it would've been better, but a story ought to be able to stand alone as a work in whatever media you consume it in. Videogames based on movies should still be fun to play as videogames, etc.

I agree about that 100%. But the storyline was not that super lame.

Sure it need improvement, but it was not a complete wash in my view. Myabe cause i played all of the games for DMC. Besides compared to other video game series that went either anime or live action, like Sonic X anime series and the F-Zero anime series which was butchered by 4 crap kids, and then there's the tomb raider movies, this is kinda a blessing for my taste. the last video game based anime I enjoyed this much were the Zone of the Enders TV series which was also from ADV like DMC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scrapps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
I love me some Kaleidostar, a show which I wasn't sure I would like at all when I first rented it. Erin, you may like New Wings better. I don't prefer one more than the other as I realized I liked the seasons for different reasons.

May Wong is what makes New Wings awesome for me. She yells her circus moves as if she's piloting a super robot. What more do you need!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
I figured that you'd pop up the moment Xam'd was brought into this discussion. Laughing

W-well, you know, didn't want to disappoint anybody. Laughing

Megiddo wrote:
Anyways, speaking of extras, what extras were in the second part of the Xam'd collection? I didn't see the extras mentioned in your little write-up for it.

Zip aside from the clean OP/ED, and the on-air versions.

Add: I just watched the on-air ED(s!) for the first time, really liked both of them. Bones really pulled out all the stops for Xam'd's soundtrack.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So it's interesting that she's expecting more in terms of extras on something that has an MSRP of $39.98 for 26 episodes compared to something that has an MSRP of $69.98 for 13 epiosodes.

And heck, at least the Kaleido Star collection had something, even if it were just one episode of commentary. Truly incomprehensible.

As far as New Wings goes, it took me a long time to like it. The first 9-10 episodes or so are pretty much a re-tread. but the second half is much stronger, and the final episode may just be one of my favorite last episodes ever (whereas, I didn't particularly care much for the final episode of the first season).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I'm glad Xam'd was rated shelf-worthy at least. It's not perfect, but in a world where Eureka Seven has (or had, for a few years anyway) such a strong and vocal fanbase, I can't understand how nobody likes a show that does so many of the same things, but better, and without like 20 episodes that are basically filler. (and really bad filler at that)

Agreed, both of these shows were really good.

Just finished re-watching Xam'd with new BDs and enjoyed re-experiencing the show with the nice new dub. Also, I have to add, I hope Michiro Oshima teams with BONES again in the future for another awesome soundtrack after this and the first FMA! They're a great mix.

In relation to E7, I definitely think any E7 fan would be doing themselves a disservice by not at least giving Xam'd a try.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then there's The Fool. Somehow a bizarre (and ugly) magical mascot character only Sora can see made it into this otherwise realistic show. The Fool draws a tarot card in each episode and gives Sora advice that she mostly ignores. He seems less important as the show goes on, as if the creators realized that including The Fool was a bad idea to begin with. Nevertheless, Jay Hickman is the exception to this dub cast and really sells The Fool in the dub.

Ugly? Fool is cool looking for my money. A bit more pervy than I'd hoped for, but he's probably gone crazy over the years being seen so little. And it's Koyasu who does a wonderful job on the delivery. (He is also in Sengoku Basara, though it doesn't sound as though you spent any time on the Japanese track.)

I ended up watching Sengoku Basara in Japanese because there were too many excellent VA's on that side of the vocal track. Sho Hayami as Mitsuhide vs whoever Funi had was no contest & with Koyasu & Hoshi in there, it never really seemed worth all the popping back & forth. Hoshi & Genda (Yukimura & his boss-Tenzen? I forget since it's been a couple months. Yukimura Sanada I remember from Samurai Deeper Kyo) were so funny
JarethaUlrich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I hardly ever post on Ms. Erin's page, but I just had to see if anyone else disagreed with her on Kaleido Star.

SO HAPPY that tons of others share my love of KS!

I showed it to my anime club randomly on a day I forgot the disks for our regular show. They loved the first two episodes so much that we watched both seasons and the OVAs in a row. Every single person I've shown KS to has loved it, from my husband to our hardcore army friends.

It's an endearing story, full of scenes that made me bust our laughing. Yes, the dub is terrible, but the sub is FANTASTIC with Ryo Hiruhashi as Sora. She made my club cry when she broke down and begged not to be forced back to Japan.

I don't buy my anime for extras, in all honesty. I don't think I've ever watched the extras. I want the shows I love on DVDs I can share instead of pirated online.

Shelf Worthy? Hellz yeah, it's on MY shelf!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Add: I just watched the on-air ED(s!) for the first time, really liked both of them. Bones really pulled out all the stops for Xam'd's soundtrack.
Speaking of which, question: you mean to say that Back on my Feet and Over U aren't on the DVDs/BDs? Theron Martin said in his review of the BD/DVD that part 2 kept the same opening/ending, but then he said in that end of 2010 article that Back on my Feet was one of the best openings of last year.

I wanna know, cause I'd probably take those 2 songs over the 1st 2 songs, mainly because ED 2 is hella better than ED 1.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
They are included in both sets, but only as NC extras. The original net broadcast OP and ED are used through the entire 26 episode run (I'm not sure how it was handled on the Japanese BDs).

Personally, I wish that S23 had authored the BDs in such a way that the viewer could select which versions to watch during playback, but I suppose that would have taken additional time, licenses, space, etc.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
JarethaUlrich wrote:
I hardly ever post on Ms. Erin's page, but I just had to see if anyone else disagreed with her on Kaleido Star.

I showed it to my anime club randomly on a day I forgot the disks for our regular show. They loved the first two episodes so much that we watched both seasons and the OVAs in a row. Every single person I've shown KS to has loved it, from my husband to our hardcore army friends.

It's an endearing story, full of scenes that made me bust our laughing. Yes, the dub is terrible, but the sub is FANTASTIC with Ryo Hiruhashi as Sora. She made my club cry when she broke down and begged not to be forced back to Japan.

I don't buy my anime for extras, in all honesty. I don't think I've ever watched the extras. I want the shows I love on DVDs I can share instead of pirated online.

The dub is terrible? You gotta be kidding me! Cynthia Martinez is fantasic as Sora, she starts off a bit disinterested in the 2004 dub but by New Wings she delivers more emotion and more energy. Ryo Hirohashi is very balanced,firey and emotional but later Martinez delivers better. Mai Nakahara and Hilary Haag are on the same wavelength and make May Wong a very likable and interesting character.

Ms. Erin, please don't skip "New Wings". You'll regret it if you do
GrilledEelHamatsu

JarethaUlrich wrote:

The dub is terrible? You gotta be kidding me! Cynthia Martinez is fantasic as Sora, she starts off a bit disinterested in the 2004 dub but by New Wings she delivers more emotion and more energy. Ryo Hirohashi is very balanced,firey and emotional but later Martinez delivers better. Mai Nakahara and Hilary Haag are on the same wavelength and make May Wong a very likable and interesting character.

GrilledEelHamatsu

JarethaUlrich wrote:

Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Kaleido Star is almost Shelf Worthy... but between the lackluster dub and lack of extras, I couldn't justify it. I mean, there is a voice over commentary by the dub actors for one episode, but that was it. I mean, if it was the set that came with the little seal doll, maybe... Did I mention this box is ugly?

I can't believe you watched Kaleido Star dubbed... I seriously can't believe it. I mean, I saw it was "Rental Shelf" and was like "oh, seriously? it's not like she watched the dub" but no, you did. Wow, Erin. What on God's green Earth possessed you to do that?

I'm also disappointed that you were upset that there was little continuous storyline in the foreground and most episodes wrapped up neatly. I'm sorry it wasn't the kind of show you thought it was going to be. Are you familiar with the works of Junichi Sato, because that's how Princess Tutu operated, and Aria to an even more extensive extent. Continuous storylines were run in the background, slowly culminating for a full-blown climax. That's the man's style.

Between this and excusing Xam'd for being a "disappointing mish-mash of plot and pseudo-philosophy" due to stylistic reasons just made it impossible to take you seriously ever again. I mean, really.

Also, Xam'd fans, I adore Eureka Seven. This was a very poor attempt to retread the ground that Eureka Seven graced beautifully, retaining all of the style and none of the substance.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
They are included in both sets, but only as NC extras. The original net broadcast OP and ED are used through the entire 26 episode run (I'm not sure how it was handled on the Japanese BDs).
Oh, alright. Thanks. Smile When I do end up jumping into HD, I wanna make Xam'd the first series I own on BD. Really enjoying the show.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love Kaleido Star. Always did, I have watched it multiple times (yes, with the dub--I've heard much worse). But as much as I like the first season, to me it's even better in retrospect after seeing the second. It just elevates the show because so much development and growth happens for various characters. For people that were a part of the stage, for newcomers, even for certain characters that just had limited roles in the first season. It's really satisfying to witness how these people change and grow into their positions at Kaleido Stage, along with influence that they and Sora have on one another. Season one is mostly about Sora and ultimately Layla as well, and that's fine because they're both great characters. With just the first season, you have a very good show. But the show grows so much in the second season that I'm grateful it had the chance to be longer than 26 episodes.

The TV-14 rating bemuses and amuses me. Despite some drama, to me Kaleido is pretty much an all-ages anime if ever there was one. Its serious moments are more than offset by its persistently positive tone, and as Erin says it's A-OK on content. These days, the way it casually avoids fanservice-driven pandering is all too refreshing...

Xam'd does seem interesting. Will have to try it sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4