• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Creator: Manga Was Pulled Due to Tokyo Ordinance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else wonder if this series is worth protecting actually?
I am asking because to love ru darkness and whatever sora (the incest hentai from a few years back) are both deemed to be ok but this one is not. which makes me wonder why it did not pass.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
I see that most people on this forum disagree with my comments about this subject to manga censorship in Tokyo.
But you have to understand, I'm just trying to speak out openly to the artists themselves & their works that this new law has destroyed.
BTW, Japan's constitution still allows the right to free speech & ideology.
So don't be afraid to speak up your mind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I happen to live by New York City.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to pass the large sugary drink ban, but the soda companies sued him and a judge threw out the ban.
Why can't manga artists who's works have been banned from stores do the same and sue the pants off the Tokyo government & Shintaro Ishihara?
Well if one think's about it most mangaka's don't really have the disposable income that a multi-national, global stock market top 10 beverage company has to keep a stack of litigation lawyers at the ready with unlimited budget to fight City Hall in Tokyo. Not even if they pooled all of their mortgage, rent, and food money into a war chest. Wink

Also further investigation proves this title is no different that a ton of others of the same H genre. Who's going to miss one grape in a vineyard? Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I see that most people on this forum disagree with my comments about this subject to manga censorship in Tokyo.
But you have to understand, I'm just trying to speak out openly to the artists themselves & their works that this new law has destroyed.
BTW, Japan's constitution still allows the right to free speech & ideology.
So don't be afraid to speak up your mind.
Again, you're failing to understand the culture gap. You would never hear stories like the keeper of Pennsylvania's great seal refusing point blank to stamp any orders issued by the governor while insisting unstamped orders were invalid or the tax revolt that brought the City of Chicago to its knees under cover of legal technicality from Japan. Unless they start targeting more mainstream works or there's a major shift in Japanese culture, what you're calling for would never happen. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...

Digital version can still be sold, but not the print version? What's going on here?!

I guess shrink wrap is out of the question. Razz

configspace wrote:

So, something like Denmark? Laughing
But a nation-wide system would be even worse. Even the US does not have any enforced or compulsory media ratings system (though there is tremendous political pressure), but for other regulations, decentralization is the way to go. Power is always going to be abused. The ridiculous NY regulations are a primary example why decentralization is necessary in any kind of government situation.

Still I wouldn't mind a Comics Code Authority device informing me when I step out of line, you just have to figure out a way around that back door!

Polycell wrote:
Again, you're failing to understand the culture gap. You would never hear stories like the keeper of Pennsylvania's great seal refusing point blank to stamp any orders issued by the governor while insisting unstamped orders were invalid or the tax revolt that brought the City of Chicago to its knees under cover of legal technicality from Japan. Unless they start targeting more mainstream works or there's a major shift in Japanese culture, what you're calling for would never happen. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

It's like being in grade school and some guy had to come by and show off slides showing how they did things in Morocco (like how a dentist has to work with a pair of pliers while the patient sits on a bed of other pulled teeth), and have to remind ourselves why we're glad to be citizens of the United States of America and never question authority again (the Cold War sure warped us).
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

So, something like Denmark? Laughing
But a nation-wide system would be even worse. Even the US does not have any enforced or compulsory media ratings system (though there is tremendous political pressure), but for other regulations, decentralization is the way to go. Power is always going to be abused. The ridiculous NY regulations are a primary example why decentralization is necessary in any kind of government situation.

Here's what the Danish think about hentai/loli mangas.
http://cbldf.org/2012/07/danish-report-discredits-link-between-cartoons-and-child-sex-abuse/
http://cphpost.dk/news/national/report-cartoon-paedophilia-harmless
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The late stand-up comedian George Carlin once said,
"The government can mess with you anytime they want, as long as you put up with it".
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well lets be honest in many 'free' western countries, where something like Negima! is sold shrink wrapped in case a nosy kid sees some schoolgirl's panties, this material would be far harder to get hold of than it is in Tokyo post-Ordinance Bill. Wink Nothing has been banned, even from print, what was the fuss about...
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
That said, the birthrate issue is building up to crisis proportions, so we'll most likely see some sort of radical shift in Japanese culture soon.
Surely true but this Bill wasn't prudish really. Unable to change much, at least as they saw it, conservatives noticed hordes of herbivore male otaku reading dirty manga and not procreating, it made them feel like they were doing something. And no, I don't think it'll have an effect on their birthrates either, but its not prudishness either.

On the other hand of course before the Americans opened Japan in the 19th C all kinds of material the Japanese consider subversive today was quite public - images of atrocity were thought to have a cooling effect. But this goes in both ways. Although public standards of decency are not a historical constant and they surely shift over time, remember that Japan never tolerated behaviours such as brother-sister incest, rape or outright paedophilia. Japan is not so different, they have sexual taboo like everyone else and their laws will, sometimes, express a moderate backlash.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how to feel on this one. Yes,I can see where "Welcome to Sugarpot" would cause some controversy. The title of this might suggest that a group of kids go to an enchanted land where candies and cakes and things walk around and talk like people and there are rivers of chocolate cascading everywhere and trees made out of candy canes. Instead,on the cover,there's a little girl with the chest of an adult woman. That would be controversial in and of itself.
I know the old saying that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but it's hard not to do so in this case. I don't know what this manga's about and I'm not sure I want to know what it's about. But,I know that freedom of expression is important. If the Tokyo government tried to ban a "Neon Genesis Evangelion" manga that had a "King Kong"-type scenario in which Misato,Rei,or Asuka get grabbed by a giant Angel,her arms are pinned to her sides while the Angel heads for the tallest building in Tokyo and proceeds to imitate King Kong while jet planes are buzzing around trying to rescue her,I can see where there might be a lawsuit.

There are stuff like "Library Wars" which deal with issues such as this. There aren't exactly places like the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in Japan to help comic book artists mount a legal change to things like this. On the one hand,the need to protect kids is important but also free expression is also important as well. It's hard to know where to land on an issue such as this. Ultimately,you need to form your own opinions on things like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3