• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Has 19.5 Million in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

That's 1 example, you seem to like small numbers Smile

And you seem to like no numbers at all it seems.

Kerberous wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-11-18
"Artists like Akira Toriyama and Yoshihiro Togashi had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing fighting manga, when all they really wanted to produce were gag manga"

From your favourite source.

Good job quoting Jason's words and not the words of the mangaka themselves. Speaking of which

animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2011-03-10

"but in general, they certainly have more respect for creators' rights than Hollywood or the superhero comics industry"

Kerberous wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012
3 million in 2011, 2 million 2012. Now, read the title of this thread you keep insulting people for hurting for your precious Shueisha, kid.

Uh...why do you keep quoting previous years when we're talking about THIS year once more AoT actually DECREASED in sales in the second link you provided

Kerberous wrote:

You have yet to contradict anything I've said with actual facts or reasoning. What's more, you're ignoring parts of my comments because... ?

10 titles from Shiuesha sells more than AoT
You don't have a valid reason as to why Shuiesha rejected him
You don't know anything about Shuiesha's process, you're still blindily hating them because they rejected your overrated precious mangaka.

Kerberous wrote:

19.5 mil X 450 ¥ were at the tip of their fingers. You must be really naive, to think that some of them NEVER even blinked when they saw those numbers.

You really suck at math once more you really are naive if you believe Shuiesha kept tabs on what goes on with other manga.

Kerberous wrote:

And don't change the subject you laughable fanboy, Silver Spoon or Magi were never offered to them on a silver platter. Edit: For that matter, Silver Spoon was a manga from a very successful mangaka, what if it wasn't ?

Oh...since AoT went through the process of most manga means the others don't count? I see where this is going

Kerberous wrote:

Here's another fun fact, One Piece went down by... 14.531.507(I even did the math for you) from 2011 to 2012. Because you keep bringing it up like it's this eternal source of money.

Here's another fact; One Piece sales were so high previous years because it was for three years straight getting it's revenue from backlog i.e. people buying the previous volumes because now everyone in Japan has caught up, the latest volumes sell roughly over 3-4 million per copy still more than your precious Aot (which latest volume hasn't even broken the 1 million marker yet) and the backlog will not last as long either since they continue to fall.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
pykrete wrote:
jree78 wrote:
The Manga seemed to have low sales in the US, it was very low on the manga sales charts on Amazon.com. Now the sales are in the top ten in Manga on Amazon.com. Rather amazing.

Yeah, all the four released English versions are in the top 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Manga-Comics-Graphic-Novels/zgbs/books/4367/ref=zg_bs_nav_b_2_4366

So apparently by this [insult removed] logic Amazon is the only retailer that carries manga. Laughing
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Just ignore.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
"but in general, they certainly have more respect for creators' rights than Hollywood or the superhero comics industry"

There's something wrong when you're being forced into doing crap you don't want to. Despite what respect Shueisha or anyone else supposedly has for their mangaka, that still happens.

BarCho66 wrote:

Uh...why do you keep quoting previous years when we're talking about THIS year once more AoT actually DECREASED in sales in the second link you provided

At the start of this year, every volume of AoT was around 400-500k. Now they're around 1.2 million (just a 600-700k X 10 difference, not like that will ever). Surely this will have no impact on this years best selling manga list and there's no way it can POSSIBLY reach 10 mil or more.

BarCho66 wrote:

10 titles from Shiuesha sells more than AoT
You don't have a valid reason as to why Shuiesha rejected him
You don't know anything about Shuiesha's process, you're still blindily hating them because they rejected your overrated precious mangaka.

Name them, I'm not going anywhere for 1-2 hours. Several sources say they were trying to make him change his art. This isn't exactly hard to find, you know.

And for the last time, I don't care about him or his work. But, in an industry where a creator will change his work if 10 fans or 1 editor says something, it's really something that he actually stood up for his work.

BarCho66 wrote:

You really suck at math once more you really are naive if you believe Shuiesha kept tabs on what goes on with other manga.

My math sucks because I pointed out the amount of money Kodansha and the author made or will make from his work ? And silly me, it's not like they have a common market or anything. Shueisha doesn't care about the money it could have been making or its competition.

BarCho66 wrote:

Oh...since AoT went through the process of most manga means the others don't count? I see where this is going

Why should it count ? Shueisha never "lost" any money from Magi or Silver Spoon, because no one offered those titles to them to begin with. Are you even trying to make sense ?

BarCho66 wrote:

Here's another fact; One Piece sales were so high previous years because it was for three years straight getting it's revenue from backlog i.e. people buying the previous volumes because now everyone in Japan has caught up, the latest volumes sell roughly over 3-4 million per copy still more than your precious Aot (which latest volume hasn't even broken the 1 million marker yet) and the backlog will not last as long either since they continue to fall.

Translation: I don't care that One Piece sold 14 mil less copies in 2012, it's still sells BETTER than AoT like that point was ever CONTESTED by anyone.

pykrete wrote:
Just ignore.

I'm honestly curious how far his insanity will go, otherwise I would have ignored that loooong ago.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Alright, I shouldn't have to say this but yet clearly I do; let's keep it civil people. Outright insulting and attacking people for having an opposing point of view or because they're a member of a fanbase you don't like is not going to be tolerated. Present information and discuss the matter at hand, but attacks are not going to be tolerated. That includes generalized and insulting comments regarding entire fanbases as well, as insulting the fans as a whole in a thread where those fans will be participating is just as much an attack on them as a more direct attack.

Further posts from this point that continue this type of behavior will simply be removed, and further action taken against the offender if necessary. You're free to discuss these things, but you are expected to be civil and respectful towards other participants in the discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm shocked by the news.
It always happens when a manga gets an anime adaption and is successful.
I think this show will be THE hit of 2013, and rightly so.
Apart from the odd static scenes (hopefully fixed in the DVD/BDs), the anime has been great, and thus, the manga will benefit greatly in terms of sales.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

There's something wrong when you're being forced into doing crap you don't want to. Despite what respect Shueisha or anyone else supposedly has for their mangaka, that still happens.

[Comment removed due to the user of attacks/insults]

Kerberous wrote:

At the start of this year, every volume of AoT was around 400-500k. Now they're around 1.2 million (just a 600-700k X 10 difference, not like that will ever). Surely this will have no impact on this years best selling manga list and there's no way it can POSSIBLY reach 10 mil or more.

Yeah...you're talking out your ass now or you have no idea how these averages work.

Kerberous wrote:

Name them, I'm not going anywhere for 1-2 hours. Several sources say they were trying to make him change his art. This isn't exactly hard to find, you know.

And you're still lying out your ass...

Kerberous wrote:

And for the last time, I don't care about him or his work. But, in an industry where a creator will change his work if 10 fans or 1 editor says something, it's really something that he actually stood up for his work.

Uh...you do realize that his prototype manga he gave to Jump is completely different from the manga that is now right?

Kerberous wrote:

My math sucks because I pointed out the amount of money Kodansha and the author made or will make from his work ? And silly me, it's not like they have a common market or anything. Shueisha doesn't care about the money it could have been making or its competition.

No you made a shitty guesstimate based on incomplete numbers from this site as well as make up your costs for the manga itself ignoring all the retailers Oricon puts into account. You don;t know nothing about Shuiesha or even what you're talking about. Give it a rest

Kerberous wrote:

Why should it count ? Shueisha never "lost" any money from Magi or Silver Spoon, because no one offered those titles to them to begin with. Are you even trying to make sense ?

But never lost money from AoT either, you're not making much sense at all.

Kerberous wrote:

Translation: I don't care that One Piece sold 14 mil less copies in 2012, it's still sells BETTER than AoT like that point was ever CONTESTED by anyone.

I gave you an explanation and you just flat out ignore it? Classic.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
[Comment removed due to the user of attacks/insults]

When you're being forced to work on something you don't want to, that stops being editorial bs that everyone has to deal with.

BarCho66 wrote:

Yeah...you're talking out your ass now or you have no idea how these averages work.

Estimated
Copies Sold

See that little thing over there ? It averages 1-1.2 million for most of AoT's current 10 volumes. The numbers increased by 500-700k for every volume this year, as I mentioned earlier.

BarCho66 wrote:

And you're still lying out your ass...

Google it.
Where are those 10 titles that are selling 1-1.2 million copies per volume from Shueisha ?

BarCho66 wrote:

Uh...you do realize that his prototype manga he gave to Jump is completely different from the manga that is now right?

Yes, I'm sure that manga in no way resembles his current work at all. It's like Resident Evil 4, it changed every E3 drastically.

BarCho66 wrote:

No you made a shitty guesstimate based on incomplete numbers from this site as well as make up your costs for the manga itself ignoring all the retailers Oricon puts into account. You don;t know nothing about Shuiesha or even what you're talking about. Give it a rest

What ? All the numbers I gave you are from Oricon Laughing Those ANN links I keep giving around here USE those numbers. Do they only work when you feel like it ?
If you would actually look at the bottom of the page Source: Oricon
If you want to know how much a manga costs, it's not that hard. You go to amazon.co.jp and check it out. AoT volumes were 450 Yen when I looked last time.

BarCho66 wrote:

But never lost money from AoT either, you're not making much sense at all.

Again, AoT could have been a Shueisha title. It could be making them all that money. They had a chance to get it and they blew it.

BarCho66 wrote:

I gave you an explanation and you just flat out ignore it? Classic.

What explanation ? Going by Oricon numbers, One Piece did not sell as many copies as it did in 2011. No one ever denied that it sells better than AoT or that it makes more money than AoT. As for the latest AoT volume, give it a week or two, it'll sell around 1 million copies as well.

BarCho66 wrote:

Oh look another ******.

Btw, I'm still waiting for those 10 titles Shueisha has released that are selling 1.2 mil copies per volume. You gonna dodge your statements even more ?
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

When you're being forced to work on something you don't want to, that stops being editorial bs that everyone has to deal with.

And now I know you're just making shit up.

Kerberous wrote:

Estimated
Copies Sold

See that little thing over there ? It averages 1-1.2 million for most of AoT's current 10 volumes. The numbers increased by 500-700k for every volume this year, as I mentioned earlier.

And you're still making up numbers, not to mention is that not even the correct average.

Kerberous wrote:

Google it.

Kerberous wrote:

Where are those 10 titles that are selling 1-1.2 million copies per volume from Shueisha ?

The same imaginary world you live when where AoT sells that much per copy. I'm still waiting on your source that gives reason as to why Jump rejected his prototype, where Akira and Togashi were forced to change the format of their manga and how Shuiesha are upset about AoT suceess

Kerberous wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that manga in no way resembles his current work at all. It's like Resident Evil 4, it changed every E3 drastically.

So your entire stance is worthless.

Kerberous wrote:

What ? All the numbers I gave you are from Oricon Laughing Those ANN links I keep giving around here USE those numbers. Do they only work when you feel like it ?
If you would actually look at the bottom of the page Source: Oricon

Whelp you've already proven to be bad at math but you've actually proven to be poor at inflation as well.

Kerberous wrote:

If you want to know how much a manga costs, it's not that hard. You go to amazon.co.jp and check it out. AoT volumes were 450 Yen when I looked last time.

Just so you know amazon.co.jp isn't the adjusted cost for the majority of the retailers out side the market. Laughing

Kerberous wrote:

They blew it because they couldn't s into the future,, but I'm gonna ignore the fact that the majority of their titles are still selling better than Aot because I'm a biased fantard.

Yeah...they're crying in their sleep as we speak. Rolling Eyes
Kerberous wrote:

I'm still gonna ignore the explanation given because I'm too much of a biased fantard to pay attention.

Your act is getting kinda old now, I've already explain why OP's numbers were down but you still seem to be covering your ears.

Kerberous wrote:

Btw, I'm still waiting for those 10 titles Shueisha has released that are selling 1.2 mil copies per volume. You gonna dodge your statements even more ?

As soon as you get out of your own make believe world where AoT sells 1.2 million per copy and provide source that SHuiesha is regretting their descison.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
These comments are terribly entertaining.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

So your entire stance is worthless.

Sarcasm, learn to notice it.

Kerberous wrote:

Your act is getting kinda old now, I've already explain why OP's numbers were down but you still seem to be covering your ears.

You can say w/e you want. Lower sales = Lower sales.

Kerberous wrote:

Just so you know amazon.co.jp isn't the adjusted cost for the majority of the retailers out side the market.

So, you think it actually costs less in other places ?

Kerberous wrote:

Yeah...they're crying in their sleep as we speak.

Losing millions of dollars will do that to a company.

Kerberous wrote:

As soon as you get out of your own make believe world where AoT sells 1.2 million per copy and provide source that SHuiesha is regretting their descison.

I did, but you keep ignoring them. As for Shueisha regretting their decision, there will never be a public statement about such a thing. How can they admit that ?

Enough of this, I'll just answer my own question since you can't and move on. One Piece, Kimi ni Todoke, Naruto and maybe Hunter x Hunter... That's it, 4 titles sell 1-1.2 million copies or more... And you have the nerve to say that there's no way Shueisha cares.

MasterKingJC wrote:
These comments are terribly entertaining.

At least there's 2 of us getting a laugh out of this.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

Sarcasm, learn to notice it.

Now you're just grasping for straws.....

Kerberous wrote:

Blah, blah blah, I'm not listening

Basically.....

Kerberous wrote:

So, you think it actually costs less in other places ?

Is this a serieous question?

Kerberous wrote:

Losing millions of dollars will do that to a company.

How can they lose something that was never there to begin with? Your logic makes no sense.

Kerberous wrote:

I did

You've yet to...

Kerberous wrote:

As for Shueisha regretting their decision, there will never be a public statement about such a thing. How can they admit that ?

So you pretty much admit that you're talking out your ass...

Kerberous wrote:

One Piece, Kimi ni Todoke, Naruto and maybe Hunter x Hunter... That's it, 4 titles sell 1-1.2 million copies or more... And you have the nerve to say that there's no way Shueisha cares.

Whelp, you're wrong in those cases especially Kimi ni Todoke. One Piece, Naruto and HxH is right you're still missing 7 more titles.
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
In 2012, only 12 volumes sold at least one million copies per.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/50-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2012

12 volumes from 4 series.

2011 - 15 volumes, 7 series.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2011

AoT volumes 9 and 10 should hit the required 1 million copies per for sales within 2013 and probably also volume 11 which comes out in August.

AoT volumes 1-7 may also meet the 1 million mark IF they manage to continue averaging 30000 copies per volume per week for second half of 2013.

It's possible though I wouldn't bet on it until we get about 10 more weeks worth of sales data.

AoT volume 7 has sold 234480 copies since the anime premiere, about 7 weeks ago.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

So you pretty much admit that you're talking out your ass...

No, I'm saying they would need to be really happy and have no pride to admit they made a mistake.

BarCho66 wrote:

How can they lose something that was never there to begin with? Your logic makes no sense.

The same way internet sites lose money if you have adblock. That and AoT was right in front of them. You're still talking as if as AoT was never offered to them and they ignored it.

Poor Oricon, they must TRY HARDER ! Obviously, their numbers are inconclusive. Although, I must admit I've been wrong about the numbers a bit. The sales seem more like 200-300k per volume(this year) with the newer volumes selling 1 million nearly instantly.

I wonder if this is having an opposite effect on anyone ? People who never cared about AoT just blindly buying it to annoy a troll.

Edit: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-29/japanese-comic-ranking-may-19-25
Still not a stretch to assume that AoT will sell at least 10 mill by the end of the year.
pykrete

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
I've done some digging and have little choice but to agree that AoT's anime-boosted manga sales are extraordinary.

For example, let's compare to 2012's second place winner - Kuroko's Basketball with 8 million sold. Its anime ran from April 7, 2012 to September 22, 2012 and boosted its volume one sales by nearly 400k copies.

Meanwhile the AoT anime first seven episodes has already boosted manga sales by 300k per volume. Still 15 episodes to go and until mid-November (25 weeks) to add to its sales count.

Also, I think it's not too presumptuous to predict that it may do as well as Blue Exorcist whose anime in 2011 boosted manga sales by 700k per volume.

Btw, neither Kuroko nor Blue Exorcist dominated the weekly comic ranking charts the way Titans has been doing so for now seven straight weeks. So, I can't help but think Titans will do as well if not better than a 700k manga boost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3