• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I like the OST of this show, it really sets the mood pretty well. The art style is a little too kiddy for my liking, but it's a Mahou Shoujo show, so I can tolerate it. Plus, the PP effects dampen the vivid colors of the girls to fit the mood more. I'm not sure where the plot is moving towards at the moment; hopefully it'll have a large overarching story that's also interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The monsters of this show seems okay to me along with the transformation scenes. I'm still not entirely sold on this yet but hoping for the good. The OST is brilliant though and OP song is worth listening to every episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, second ep. This was more of a info dump ep, introducing characters, explaining plot devices and the external Conflict. You know, necessary stuff, but not the most interesting. We also get some internal Conflict, as our heroine is understandably freaked out after learning she murdereded her cousin. Again, the show is trying too hard to be dark and edgy, but I find that charming in a way. Kind of the same style was the whole "putting the girls in metal cages and dropping them into the Pit of Doom". Sure, it looks cool, but it makes no sense at all.

Things I liked: the interplay between the Sun and the Moon. Thinking about the imagery and all that jazz, it makes a kind of sense that the Sun and the Moon would be intertwined and have a close relationship, although it could as be foreshadowing a one-way relationship. And there are hints of yuri subtext that intrigues me, but those are pretty much standard in magical girl shows these days.

Make no mistake, this is pulp. But it's entertaining pulp -- plenty of action, lurid visionary and over-the-top antics. But I'm okay with that.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty dry season for me, but I must say that this show so far is the new series that I'm enjoying the most.

The soundtrack is really something incredible; I find myself noticing the music, which is a very good sign. A lot of the imagery is very well thought through; the world has a sense of darkness, but is saturated with color, much like the mood of the events in the show itself. I'm a big fan of the multicolored lightbulb/vacuum tube clockwork teleporter, especially since a lot of the mechanisms were animated by drawing rather than CG. Also props for the use of WWI imagery when describing how previous wars had been caused by the Demoni; I liked it since it was an unconvenitonal choice.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
(Just gonna copy/paste this from the summer anime thread since i'm too lazy right now to re-write it Wink )

Daybreak Illusion Episode 2

I know it's kind of early, but this show is getting really good. There is so much going on here that is worth talking about.

(1) The tone: It is very obvious now that the writing here is not at all simple or superficial. This is not a dumb Madoka clone. As of episode 2, the writing in Daybreak Illusion continues to be just deadly serious. Nothing of import that happened in episode 1 has been casually tossed away or ignored. Episode 2 has done a fantastic job of following up on the somber tone and taking things in an even deeper, more intellectually/emotionally challenging direction. In particular, the part where we find out more about the fate of Akari's cousin and how that affects her relationship with her family was very compelling.

(2) Music/Sound: I am just loving the music in this show. It sets the mood so wonderfully, particularly the somber piano compositions played over quiet scenes of reflection. With as much action that this show has had in the first 2 episodes, there seems to be just as many scenes where the characters are sitting and thinking, or simply embracing or enjoying another's company. They've done such a great job balancing the dialogue in these scenes. There's never really too much, always just enough.

(3) Pacing: The pacing in Daybreak Illusion is very strong right now. As I noted in a previous remark, one major deviation from the direction of Madoka is Daybreak came out the gates guns blazing and that same "full-steam ahead" pacing continues in the second episode. I am enjoying that a LOT. As much as I liked Madoka, I thought the slow burn didn't play out as it should have. True, Daybreak Illusion is not taking a risk in that regard (and therefore might seem more conventional), but I feel like I am getting so much out of this show right now. We're only two episodes in and we've already seen each of the girls use multiple skills and powers, we've seen two battles, and we've learned a pretty great deal about what their role is in fighting these strange demonic creatures. Additionally, this whole spoiler["amnesia"] aspect of the show is very intriguing. They've already used it wonderfully to create a great deal of inner turmoil for Akari, and we've seen glimpses of how it affects the other girls as well.

(4) Animation/art: It seems like the level of artistic detail increased in the second episode. That entire battle scene starting with the girls spoiler[entering the "drop zone" inside their school], transitioning through their transformations, and ending with the battle itself was beautifully done. It's cool how they've fluidly mixed the high intensity, bright colors of the girl's magical powers with the dark tones/shades of their enemies and the pocket world they battle in. This aspect of the show is probably also inspired by Madoka, but the art is so different. It's much less abstract. The colors and magical effects are more defined and direct. I like it.

It is clear that the show is introducing some potential yuri aspects, though it is subtle and the fan service was almost non-existent. I expect that the writers have not totally forsaken that part of the otaku base, but so far it seems like they are taking the show in a more serious direction and not focusing much on that. I am starting to have high hopes for this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Still going quite good. There is strong animation, good music, well thought out drama which works with characters that show some depth, and the show is doing its own thing with showing you how dark it is despite the magical girl aspects. It seems pretty clear that they know what they are doing with animation and music. My favourite aspect is where they tend to use the more drawing animation for everything, and then throw in the distortion effect every so often that beautifully contrasts with the style.

This show does not deserve the disinterest that Heinzendegger is saying that it gets.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
I myself wouldn't say it deserves the disinterest. Just saying it was easy to see it's gonna happen.
At least like I said I have some respect for them trying out some original designs, and the second episode even was a bit better than the first.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I actually got to see the episode again with company and I noticed a few things. I'm really feeling more Kagihime (manga) than Madoka from the show now.

First, I'm liking their apparent fanservice stance. It's like if you're actively looking for it, you'll find it. But the flow of the episode is so smooth I'm only noticed other fanservice potentials when I was watching the show the 2nd time. It's like there's always a boob zoom or a butt shot you can look at if that's more important to you than

Second, I was too caught up in the flow to really notice the beauty of the... machine room, let's call it. I think GaoGaiGar and the old Transformers movie were the only other two times I saw music and movement combine so well in a machine. There's tons of crap happening in this room and it really builds up the show's energy. Considering what the machine is for, this has to be completely intentional.

Also, I love how they're right in the hot zone. Having such a feature will allow them to divide their character and plot progression based on it's accompanying mood. i.e. thought-provoking twists or hooks can be met in the journey to the enemy or when there's no enemy around, while sudden revelations can happen in the much faster-paced scenes like this. A lot of shows (especially shounen ones) royally screw that up.

As for it's popularity, I partially judge that on the flow of fanart. I've learned that, for a series not based on anything I can't get a decent measure until about 3 episodes in unless something which is easily exploitable by fan artists happens before then. But the Pixiv count is slowly increasing so that's a good sign.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
So let me see if I have this straight so far: They're a team of magical girls who literally run around murdering innocent people. That's what I'm getting from this show so far.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
They are killing people that have become possessed by something, and will in turn kill others, preferably stopping any unnecessary deaths. Although the girls are obviously still affected.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
It's like the Star Trek "It's not murder if he was under alien control" thing.

If it weren't for the victims being removed from the "muggle world" completely the girls would either need a license to kill or spend half the show evading the authorities.

Both are cool options, IMO. But sidestepping the issue with a global memory wipe works too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So let me see if I have this straight so far: They're a team of magical girls who literally run around murdering innocent people. That's what I'm getting so far from this show so far.

That's a pretty superficial gleaning. It's been established that spoiler[once a person is fully taken over by a Daemonia, they cannot revert back. And there is no way to destroy the Daemonia without killing the human host. Letting the Daemonia roam around to hurt/kill other people is not a viable option.] It's actually a horrible position for the Magic Girls to be in which the show is obviously exploring.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I was just poking around on the website looking for pics to make scroll saw templates from (it's a hobby) and noticed they have a flash-based single card tarot game so I thought I'd try it a few times. My own views on tarot and any fortunetelling have always stopped people from giving me a reading (I take an objective/insight stance as opposed to a mystical one) so I like playing around with games like this.

Can somebody else please try it and tell me what card you got? I got the same card (inverted 13) 3 times on my own computer and then again on a totally different comp, regardless of which card I chose or how many times I shuffled. So I want to see if others get the same card too. Maybe it's broken.

http://www.geneitaiyo.com/fortune/ (lick the button once to start, again to skip the Tendo Trio's dialogue, The next button shuffles a little, then a button will appear to spread the cards. You can only pick one from this selection. After you pick, the lower right option lets you play again.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
^ I gave it a shot just for the kicks and I got the second card, the Popess/High Priestess. I tried a second time and got the same card, but caught a small note on the bottom that says "you can try again tomorrow", so I suppose you'll keep getting the same card for a whole day since it's "today's fortune", and you'll get a new one tomorrow.

Tbh, I feel this show is trying too hard "Oh look at me I'M SO DAAARK. spoiler[I'm having little girls KILL PEOPLE.] GET IT? DAAAARK". I'll keep an eye on it, but it's currently on the very low end of priorities for this season, barely above Danganronpa and Brothers Conflict, both of which I'm this close to dropping. Also, the transformations are so cheap. And the names are so cheap. Oh, I wonder what Hoshikawa's card is? And Luna Tsukuyomi? And of course Akari Taiyou. Seriously, they could've tried a little harder.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it tracks IP in order not to be able to pick different cards a day.

Also, its poor sales sadden even me.
**8,119位/**8,119位 ★ (***,*41 pt) [*,**2予約] 2013/09/25 幻影ヲ駆ケル太陽 1(完全生産限定版) [Blu-ray]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15