• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live from Anime Expo 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because some people care about discussing works instead of engaging in mindless hugboxes of "I like this show" "I like it too" "...."

Opinionated reviews are not discussions, they're pretty much one-way statements about what one person thinks. I'd say those scathing critical reviews you want are essentially replaced with disk sales given the way the format works. If a show sells 400 copies, people didn't like it. If it sold 50K, they loved it. It basically substitutes big, wordy opinions with numbers and statistics.

willag wrote:
Alternative Phrasing That Gives Credence/Criticism to Both Sides wrote:

Did you just review a review?

Regardless, my statement was a comparison about the fundamental differences between the two cultures and why you're not likely to see what that person was asking for, not listing opinions on the "pros and cons". Whether you like or dislike personality-driven videos isn't really the point of the issue.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for JO I have really only had a problem with one of her reviews so I think she's great at what she does. Her Trigun work in particular was fantastic.

Someone needs to talk her into continuing Inbetweens. She could even start off the next episode joking about how long it's been like it was a Hellsing Ultimate commentary.

Oh the show itself now i know why we have so many viewers like you. Also Mike Toole being on so often besides the fact he sounds awesome.

Some titles in the good bag are debatable.

And I loved the pick 4 things and be happy if you get into two bit.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
I remember that NYAF (or NYCC?)-- 2008 or 2009? As I recall the shots were supposed to be for ANN's 10th anniversary-- it was a bar special of five shots (Bailey's, rum, gin, vodka, whiskey maybe?) and two people did it...along with having additional rounds.

There were a LOT of people there, everyone was staying at that hotel so a lot of industry and press (including myself, I was at Anime Vice at the time) were there and we all just hung out and talked and drank.

That impromptu party is actually one of my favorite con memories, though I'm sorry that the aftermath was unpleasant for some. ^^;
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Did you just review a review?

Regardless, my statement was a comparison about the fundamental differences between the two cultures and why you're not likely to see what that person was asking for, not listing opinions on the "pros and cons". Whether you like or dislike personality-driven videos isn't really the point of the issue.

My point was specifically related to what was said earlier: "In what remote recesses of your mind was anything in that statement construed as "Pro-Japan"? It's pointing out a culture difference in response to someone's proposition."

You compare a Japanese video to an American video and then imply that the American video (and styles done that way) is 'attention whoring'. I'm just pointing out alternative ways that paragraph could have been phrased that take a less biased approach and make your point more credible (though, yes, my third quote was overdone and not really what you were going for with your argument). You had a good enough argument in your first few sentences and were building support with examples. And then that one sentence kinda destroyed all that. "Oh, whelp, typical TitanXL with his typical biases poking through - nothing to see here folks!" Because, honestly, once someone has a reputation on a forum, a lot of what is said tends to be put through a filter and can be easily ignored or lost.

But now I'm just being condescending, when really I was just going for snarky in my original post. So, sorry, just ignore me, and then we'll be on even ground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
grooven wrote:
Oh my god the Justin question! He totally doesn't look like what I thought at ALL! His voice is really deep, so I en-visioned very heavy set Caucasian male with sight balding, thick glasses, a beret and perhaps a beard. Please don't kill me lol!

A BERET?! REALLY?!? Mad

LOL! Only some days though! Reminds me of Tezuka's style. Your manner of speaking seems so intelligent along with your love of cinema. This is only in my mind though. So somewhere out there, I like to imagine you with a beret Very Happy But now I know you don't have one Sad
hertz32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks for recommending the Chad Kime and Carl Macek previous anncast episodes. They were really great listens. I've recently gotten into anncast a few months ago and jumped into the current episodes. I'm looking forward to digging through the back catalog to learn more about the bolts of the industry and the history. Thanks for all your hard work.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Woo! That was fun to go to, as they always are! I was the first question and the one who mentioned homestuck, and gave Lynzee the little homestuck plushie. I was also sitting near the mike, and wow you can hear me a lot.

(Also, I just realized I was in my Nami cosplay on Day one and three, like I was last year, and I hope the ANN people don't think of me as "that one girl in the bikini"))

hertz32 wrote:
Thanks for recommending the Chad Kime and Carl Macek previous anncast episodes. They were really great listens. I've recently gotten into anncast a few months ago and jumped into the current episodes. I'm looking forward to digging through the back catalog to learn more about the bolts of the industry and the history. Thanks for all your hard work.

The more recent ones about Bandai and Anime Insider are also pretty fun, looking back on defunct US companies is a goldmine for entertainment.

Edit: Also, since Justin asked what we thought of him via his voice, I originally would have thought you were a fat white guy, and I was surprised when I saw you at AX a few years back and you were Asian and kinda pretty.
For some reason I also thought you would be a lot grumpier in real life, but maybe that is accurate under the right circumstances.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
In response to Justin's question about how people picture him when hearing his voice: I imagine they look like the Penny Arcade comics, Zac is the black haired guy and Justin is the other one. Weird huh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3