• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeMusicVideos.Org Served with Cease & Desist Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
thebaron wrote:
Well it could fall under the Fair Use, since no one really makes any money on the AMV (a few get prizes for popular AMV). They promote both the anime and the music for free, so I think they are shooting themselves in the foot in the long view.

Here we go again.

Long story short, no, it's not fair use. It's fair use to make the AMV, yes. However, that leeway ends like a cliff once you distribute it.

As far as it promoting both the anime and music, it doesn't matter. Even if the label agreed that AMVs helped sales of their songs, they're legally bound to attack infringements such as this, even if they don't want to.

Personally, I think they've known about AMVs for quite a while. But once people know that they know that infringement in the form of AMVs exist, their hands are tied and they must pursue.

So, The moral to the story: Don't give labels a reason to acknowledge that AMVs exist.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
No, that is not how copyrights work. You have to copyright it yourelf and submit it to make it official. George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead didn't have a copyright on it when it was released (not sure about it's current state though) and theaters around the world were showing it. Mr. Romero didn't get that money that should have come to him because he and his freinds forgot to copyright it.

You couldn't be more wrong. The US Copyright Officies official faq says
Quote:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Registering it only makes it easier to prove someone has infringed your work and provides you means to recoup legal expences if you have to sue for damages (this is in addition to the damages themselves.)

Fair Use is a very, very grey area. However, one of the corner stones of the laws pertains to the amount of the original work that's used. The anime clips themselves would probably be considered "fair use" but using the full song probably would blow the defense.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Hunter Sopko wrote:
people should be glad that Linkin Park wasn't on that list,

Glad nothing. The fact they only got Evanescence and didn't take Linkin Park with them is only a half-victory for fans of quality AMVs all over the world. Laughing

Seriously though, you don't know how tiring it gets having to wade through a thousand "crying in my cereal waahaahaa" cheap angst type of videos set almost exclusively to Linkin Park & Evanescence just to get to anything good, so for once—though it still feels a bit odd—I actually have to kinda-sorta thank the record industry for something.

I'll tend to agree with you the music is just used so much it's boring. That I don't even download them anymore.

I tend to go to the abnormal stuff but like some people are saying free advertisement it did get me into the band vastand I've bought there music. Also, it's not like kazaa or file sharing programs with just the music because these you can't put on an mp3 and take them where ever you want.

But the lawyer is right and they have to do this according to law, so I won't kill them over it just the so-called fan if it becomes other bands. I just hope it doesn't become wide spread into other bands and that really is a moron fan if he didn't do it on purpose..

At least none of my amvs got locked up...lol

Last edited by remember love on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:

I shudder to think what the immediate fallout will be at anime conventions. Given the high profile of AMVs at cons, I could see record labels getting fussy about having a band's music played to a crowd of 5,000 people (who paid for the privilege of watching) without their permission. Ouch. And now cons, I would think, would hesitate to accept AMVs with music by those bands for fear of drawing attention on themselves. and causing more problems. Oy...the potential ripple effects are enormous.

This won't affect anime conventions.

Anime Conventions (such as AX) purchase an ASCAP license which grants a temporary legal right for them to play any music at that venue, which includes music used on an AMV. Feel free to use any song you want for any video you send to a convention.

In order for AnimeMusicVideos.org to be legit, they would need to purchase a shitstorm of licenses. They'd need to negotiate a distribution license, which would cost megabucks. Then each video sent to the site would need the approval of the artists, since label contracts often state that any music videos MUST be approved by the artist. Then there'd need to be a method of tracking what's downloaded and how often. Quite simply, it'd be a mess. Conventions have it easy since all they need is a license to simply play the song.

Anyway, long story short, conventions are OK.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
sycomonkey wrote:

This is still stupid, because honestly, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that should be covered under Fair Use, if it isn't allready.

Unfortunately, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) pretty much rules that your guilty until proven innocent on these sorta matters.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
sycomonkey wrote:
This is still stupid, because honestly, this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that should be covered under Fair Use, if it isn't allready.

As Kalium and I have already said, creating AMVs falls under Fair Use under Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107, USC. (Title 17 of the US Code contains the copyright laws.)

I don't see anywhere in that law where derrivative works containing content not granted for use by the originator are considered fair use.

The law you quoted seems to cover "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

There's also a list that determines whether it fits under copyright.

Quote:
1: the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.

Okay. We'll say you're making an AMV so that you can learn how to edit. You don't intend to sell it, you just want to learn. No problem. That's a fair use.

However, look at item four on that list:

Quote:
4: the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

In distributing the video freely and without license to the content originator, you effectively fall under the same legal precident as the first Napster. In that, you are eroding market value of a song in that it can now be freely acquired and extracted.

Also, you are denying the content originator the right to determine how their work can or cannot be used.

Additionally, please reference Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 103, Subject matter of copyright: Compilations and derivative works.

Quote:
(a) The subject matter of copyright as specified by section 102 includes compilations and derivative works, but protection for a work employing preexisting material in which copyright subsists does not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully.

AMV makers create their derrivative works using material which has been used unlawfully, as in without permission and authorization of the copyright holder.

Don't get me wrong folks, I love AMVs. I make a few myself on rare occassion (watch "Total Waste of 6min 35sec" someday). But I'm sick of all you people thinking that you've got an exclusive right or privledge. This may be the first time that AMVs have fallen under music company's radars, but it's been a giant blip on the Anime company's radars, and you should be kissing some massive ass for them ALLOWING you do do this even though it severely weakens their copyright.

Last edited by xstylus on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
No wonder ANN is looking for a legal mind.

"A fan" asking should not be a problem, I would think. A dozen fans might be, and 50 definitely warrants attention, but one? There's something they're not telling us about.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
kouryuu wrote:
In terms of those 3 specific bands, I must admit I wouldn't mind Linkin Park getting pulled as well.... AMV.org would have much more bandwidth to give out Anime smile.

There is some truth in that.

kouryuu wrote:
I'm definately concerned about the ripple effects though. I mean if they can pull those bands, whats from stopping other labels/artists from pulling theirs? if they pull them all then AMVs are going down the tube, and Thats definately not going to be fun or fair.

There is nothing preventing you from making your AMVs to song from "banned" bands. The AMV hobby existed well before The Org was created, let alone when they started providing local hosting. It will still be around even if The Org is required to remove all download links. It will just make it a bit harder to get the videos.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
As far as it promoting both the anime and music, it doesn't matter. Even if the label agreed that AMVs helped sales of their songs, they're legally bound to attack infringements such as this, even if they don't want to.

They are not legally bound by the copyright laws to attack infringements. Trademarks require holders to attack infringers. Copyright does not. I am getting rather tired of having to repeat this information.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
In distributing the video freely and without license to the content originator, you effectively fall under the same legal precident as the first Napster. In that, you are eroding market value of a song in that it can now be freely acquired and extracted.

I did say creating, not distributing. Distributing is illegal. Creating, for your own fun, and to show to a limited group of your friends, does tend to fall under fair use.
rond556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Darn shame, I was looking forward to more Evanesence and Creed videos. I have a whole collection [/sarcasm]
bellatora88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I, personally, have been introduced to some great songs and bands that I never would have discovered without AMVs (of course, Creed, Seether, and Evanscence are not among those). This has led me to buy songs off Itunes that I never would've otherwise.

I really hope this does not lead to a trend and the loss of the wonderful animemusicvideos.org site.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:

They are not legally bound by the copyright laws to attack infringements. Trademarks require holders to attack infringers. Copyright does not. I am getting rather tired of having to repeat this information.

Ah. Then you must have discovered something that thousands of lawyers across the past few decades have not. My apologies, and I commend you on your legal fortitude where so many have failed before you.

Please educate us and quote where in Copyright law there is provided an exception to the obligations of due diligence.
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I would also have to agree that that site is treading very thin ice. I checked it out and the first things they ask for is money to help pay for bandwith, listing it as a "donation" but in my opinion that would constitute the making of profit on others works, that being the original artists and even the creator of the video.

I have like many others created AMVs for conventions and that will continue but we as fan must start to respect the original creators and copyright holders and honor thier requests when made.

-k-

xstylus wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:
sycomonkey wrote:

As Kalium and I have already said, creating AMVs falls under Fair Use under Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107, USC. (Title 17 of the US Code contains the copyright laws.)

I don't see anywhere in that law where derrivative works containing content not granted for use by the originator are considered fair use.

The law you quoted seems to cover "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

There's also a list that determines whether it fits under copyright.

Quote:
1: the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.

Okay. We'll say you're making an AMV so that you can learn how to edit. You don't intend to sell it, you just want to learn. No problem. That's a fair use.

However, look at item four on that list:

Quote:
4: the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Also, you are denying the content originator the right to determine how their work can or cannot be used.

Additionally, please reference Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 103, Subject matter of copyright: Compilations and derivative works.

Quote:
(a) The subject matter of copyright as specified by section 102 includes compilations and derivative works, but protection for a work employing preexisting material in which copyright subsists does not extend to any part of the work in which such material has been used unlawfully.

AMV makers create their derrivative works using material which has been used unlawfully, as in without permission and authorization of the copyright holder.

Don't get me wrong folks, I love AMVs. I make a few myself on rare occassion (watch "Total Waste of 6min 35sec" someday). But I'm sick of all you people thinking that you've got an exclusive right or privledge. This may be the first time that AMVs have fallen under music company's radars, but it's been a giant blip on the Anime company's radars, and you should be kissing some massive ass for them ALLOWING you do do this even though it severely weakens their copyright.
alangaruku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

This won't affect anime conventions.

Anime Conventions (such as AX) purchase an ASCAP license which grants a temporary legal right for them to play any music at that venue, which includes music used on an AMV. Feel free to use any song you want for any video you send to a convention.

In order for AnimeMusicVideos.org to be legit, they would need to purchase a shitstorm of licenses. They'd need to negotiate a distribution license, which would cost megabucks. Then each video sent to the site would need the approval of the artists, since label contracts often state that any music videos MUST be approved by the artist. Then there'd need to be a method of tracking what's downloaded and how often. Quite simply, it'd be a mess. Conventions have it easy since all they need is a license to simply play the song.

Anyway, long story short, conventions are OK.

It's good to hear. Fans can still have AMVs at AX '06! Anime smile
I was getting worried there for a second.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8