• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, T.O to Make Anime Movie of Mass Effect Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm torn here. On the one hand, Mass Effect is one of the tiny handful of games with an outstanding story that actually can stand on it's own as excellent without the preface: for a game story.

Then again, because of that, a movie based on the actual plot of the game seems redundant and if it isn't based on the plot of the main game I must wonder if it will be anything more than the typical side story/cash in.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will follow characters from the games, just without Shepard since Bioware games pride themselves on offering choices to the player, and that simply doesn't jive with a passive viewing experience. The books and comics for Mass Effect and Dragon Age have followed people from the games, either past or present, so I'd expect something similar.

Of course, it could be something completely standalone that just takes place in familiar settings since the comics and books based on Bioware games were written by the writers at Bioware, so they might not agree to allow certain characters to be used if someone else is writing them.

Hell it could be the companions sitting around the Normandy talking about their past for an hour anc 30 minutes and i would watch it. Heres to hoping Bioware supervises the story so we don't end up with crap.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
At least they're using a series that isn't complete dog shit this time (as opposed to Dragon Age), but I still won't be watching it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm torn here. On the one hand, Mass Effect is one of the tiny handful of games with an outstanding story that actually can stand on it's own as excellent without the preface: for a game story.

Then again, because of that, a movie based on the actual plot of the game seems redundant and if it isn't based on the plot of the main game I must wonder if it will be anything more than the typical side story/cash in.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will follow characters from the games, just without Shepard since Bioware games pride themselves on offering choices to the player, and that simply doesn't jive with a passive viewing experience. The books and comics for Mass Effect and Dragon Age have followed people from the games, either past or present, so I'd expect something similar.

Of course, it could be something completely standalone that just takes place in familiar settings since the comics and books based on Bioware games were written by the writers at Bioware, so they might not agree to allow certain characters to be used if someone else is writing them.

Hell it could be the companions sitting around the Normandy talking about their past for an hour anc 30 minutes and i would watch it. Heres to hoping Bioware supervises the story so we don't end up with crap.

If Bioware actually has a significant say beyond just having somebody named as an "executive producer" I'll probably be pretty pumped for this and the Dragon Age anime. If not, well we'll see.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Ugh, PLEASE do not let them make it like Halo: Legends. That show ruined Halo, what with all it's self-conflicting anti-war BS. "Spartan 1337"...there's no justifying that.(And Microsoft & Bungie approved of the writing and plot. Sad )

For the record, you know Odd One Out with Spartan 1337 was stated time and time again by the project developers (O'Connor and Chou) that it was intentionally non-canon. Lot of people don't seem to get, they actually wanted to appeal to non Halo fans too. Rolling Eyes

I understand that it was not canon. That isn't my issue with it. My issue is that it is asinine, and by the time he appeared, it was too late for comic relief. He was also sufficiently far in such that a non-Halo fan would have to show some Serious dedication to even get to him. While we're here, let us not forget the completely preposterous episode of the movie where the Covenant were shown to be the Feudal Japanese...in space. (The Duel)
Quote:

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will follow characters from the games, just without Shepard since Bioware games pride themselves on offering choices to the player

Yes, Bioware offers choices to a player, and the choices don't matter, as the story ultimately ends how Bioware wants it to end. Your choices simply change the window dressing, and infamously force you to replay the game. (Which must be done at least once to gain all achievements anyhow). BTW, what happened to the Bioware who said they would not make sequels? (See KOTOR 2)

Will EA force us to make EA accounts to view this movie? After DA, I wouldn't put it past them. (Though this is hyperbole)

If "Mass Effect: The Anime" were to espouse the same self-conflicting, fallacious, and honestly boring anti-war themes as Halo:Legends, the Mass Effect franchise might be done a misservice.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Force you to replay the game? I'm guessing you are playing the console version then? Sad since on PCs there are save game editors and save games you can download.

I don't think I'll ever buy a console game if there is a PC version. Even when "watered down" you still get significantly more capabilities out of the PC. Sitting on a couch with a controller is not a desire of mine though and I've heard a few who have said they prefer that.

(It's not impossible to do the couch with a PC, I have mine setup with a TV and bought a blue tooth adapter which works with my playstation 3 controller, although it requires some basic google searching to set up and was a pain due to the driver being a little weird).
Clueless313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Liked the gameplay, but the story bored me.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Force you to replay the game? I'm guessing you are playing the console version then? Sad since on PCs there are save game editors and save games you can download.

PC versions of console games have been historically bad ports, so I play them on the original version. ME1's mouse integration wasn't up to PC levels, and if I have to use a controller, better on the device designed for it. (Tho, via xpadder,I use my 360 controller on my pc regularly.) Plus, I can't stand DRM on my PC & the graphics of the PC version weren't any better than 360 so there was no motivation for me to suffer Wink
Quote:
Sad since on PCs there are save game editors and save games you can download.

You can save in ME on the console, and reload, in a limited fashion. I consider myself a PC gamer first and foremost. The mouse is king for aiming, the control stick can't compete. To elaborate on what I said, and you quoted, ME on the console forces you to replay to get all the achievements, ME 1 moreso than ME 2. Say what you will about achievements, but they're damn addicting. Stupid psychological hooks.

Additionally, I do not see the story of Mass Effect doing well on its own. Outside of a video game, it'd be just another pulp scifi novel, not high literature or particularly noteworthy. The plot is pretty banal, and it's been done to death. (rant)Why, why, WHY does science fiction like to take the low road and assume that Humans can't come up with advanced technology themselves? Too often the plot device is some deus ex machina--a device created by aliens which is integral to the plot. Like the relays in ME. (/rant)
Airforce1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
Let's hope they keep the same voices as they are in the game.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:

There's plenty of room to just retell the game's story. After all, not everyone has 40-odd hours to spend beating the game to find out the story, but could enjoy a two-hour version. Just strip a lot of the running around and subplots, convert 20-30 minute combat missions into 2-5 minutes of the best segments of it, and you can cut down the runtime considerably while retaining the important bits.

They'd better use Femshep as the protagonist though, Maleshep doesn't exist for me, but he's the only boring jack### that ever gets any appearances in promotional material.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

They'd better use Femshep as the protagonist though, Maleshep doesn't exist for me, but he's the only boring jack### that ever gets any appearances in promotional material.

I doubt they would use femshep, If their gonna use shepard at all it would be the male one, but, i doubt they would put shepard in the movie at all, they have a tendency to not use gender pronouns in the extended universe novels.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Woah. This is something to keep an eye on.

Wasn't Funi producing a Dragon Age movie? What happened to that?
What, you thought it was going to be a Winter release? ??

The press release in June of last year set a 2011 release date. Summer seems most likely.

prime_pm wrote:
Yeah, remember when they released that Dragon Age anime? That just blew me away. In 3D, no less.

Think maybe we should focus on what we've got right now. Their palette is pretty big at the moment as is.
Isn't this statement a tad ... uh, silly?

"One Bioware anime production a year! Starting production on one before the previous is released{+}!! Oh no! Its just too much too handle!!!"

{+ But likely after the same steps in the production on the previous one have been long since finished}
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City, I'll agree ME1s controls weren't the best and so they took some getting used to on PC. But most of that for me was that I expected it to play like an FPS and it did not. ME2 was a vast improvement over ME1 on the PC side due to working less like an RPG and more like an FPS.

This issue you bring up somewhat saddens me with the new game Dragon Age 2 however. Dragon Age was a game I couldn't imagine playing well on the console, and apparently Bioware agreed, and thus they simplified the game, took out friendly fire on everything but nightmare, and eliminated the strategy camera angle.

I haven't played it yet but I hear that Crysis 2 doesn't look as good as Crysis 1 due to it being developed for consoles first. Economically I can understand why they are focusing on consoles, but it sure sucks as a PC gamer.

Nevertheless, to this point I've not had a huge problem with PC ports other them not being as good as games developed for the PC first. I think Assassin's Creed played great (I was using a PS2 controller adapter) and I had no problems with Prince of Persia either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3