• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: K-ON! BLURAY 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
dtm42: from what I've heard, the characters will be attending an all-girls college, so problem "solved".

Hah. They aren't children any more, they will have social lives outside university where they will go out and at least talk to members of the opposite sex.

Hey, wait, there are all-female colleges in this day and age? The heck? Actually, Wikipedia has a whole list of them for Japan, so there's that. Still doesn't matter. Unless they're training to be nuns, they'll have to talk to a male in a social situation sooner or later.

I guess in several seasons the women will be in their forties and still single, except they won't be lamenting how they still don't have boyfriends but rather revelling in their common obesity caused by ingesting too much cake. Hey, don't diss it, it could happen. Better chance of that than of them actually getting normal lives, at the rate the Manga is going.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
I think this is the thread you're looking for. Laughing

Doubt K-ON! would change the formula. They'll go to college and create a club there and that's it. Real girls at their age are already all over boys, so it's not like reality is their aim.

Now what if they really started dating male characters? Do you really think the Japanese police can hold all the desperate loonies going out for revenge because the characters who look exactly like the body pillows they sleep with every night lost its dignity?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
A good review that lets everybody know what to expect. Girls live life, play some music, the end. For my money, it is rather ironic and unfortunate music gets a "C" in a series like this.

Which i did not get at all. In my view the music should at least a B. Sure , it's no Beck or Haruhi , but it does have it's moments.

Also even though I'm a die hard dubber , it's one time that this dub's cast is miscasted. I was certain they would have used the entire line for lucky star to give it merit, but that was not case.

But dont get me wrong. Steaphnie Seph aka Orihime Inoue is great as Yui , but even I admit that casting was off the mark , especially after Lucky Star. However it's at least better than the Animax Asia dub which by dumb ot bad luck i came accross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teferi

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
dtm42: from what I've heard, the characters will be attending an all-girls college, so problem "solved".

Hah. They aren't children any more, they will have social lives outside university where they will go out and at least talk to members of the opposite sex.

Hey, wait, there are all-female colleges in this day and age? The heck? Actually, Wikipedia has a whole list of them for Japan, so there's that. Still doesn't matter. Unless they're training to be nuns, they'll have to talk to a male in a social situation sooner or later.

I guess in several seasons the women will be in their forties and still single, except they won't be lamenting how they still don't have boyfriends but rather revelling in their common obesity caused by ingesting too much cake. Hey, don't diss it, it could happen. Better chance of that than of them actually getting normal lives, at the rate the Manga is going.

QQ harder?

Seriously, moeblob will remain moeblob and if that's a problem for you why are you watching it? This stuff has a very obvious audience and will likely not change too much. DVD/BD sales are more important than inserting realism into a show that doesn't need it.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I am running an experiment on whether my JP/ENG dub preferences are determined by which I watch first, and therefore am most used to. So I'm watching K-On! for the first time via the English dub...and enjoying it so far.

I hope Bandai actually has some real extras on later volumes, like the animated shorts.

dtm42 wrote:

Man, I went to college at UMass Amherst, which is part of the Pioneer Valley Five College Consortium. Out of those five colleges, two are all-female colleges (Holyoke and Smith).

Anyways, it's more a PC-granola-leftist thing than an old-fashioned, traditionalist thing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
QQ harder?

Seriously, moeblob will remain moeblob and if that's a problem for you why are you watching it? This stuff has a very obvious audience and will likely not change too much. DVD/BD sales are more important than inserting realism into a show that doesn't need it.

First of all, "QQ harder"? Not sure what you mean there.

Secondly, I'm not watching it, and I haven't read it. My MyAnime page (which I keep fairly up to date) should tell you that I haven't watched any of K-ON!, and my lack of a MyManga page should indicate to you that I don't read Manga. So I haven't experienced any of the franchise. Of course, given how often it is talked about on the net, I basically know as much as I need to know just from what I've absorbed through osmosis.

And can't I complain about the complete lack of any artistic merits in a work, especially when my complaints are spot on?

There are two ways to earn DVD sales. First of all there is the Light Side, where you make a good Anime which people want to buy because it's good. Then there is the Dark Side, where you make a poorly-constructed and artistically barren Anime which appeals to Otaku by being nice to look at and checking all the necessary boxes. The latter is easier to do and gives you higher sales volumes on average, but I like to think that titles in the former category are the ones that will better stand the test of time. I mean, tastes change, but quality is quality.

At any rate, I'm not lambasting K-ON!, although I could do so very easily, but rather I am just gently pointing out its flaws in a light-hearted manner. Surely I can do that much, right?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Secondly, I'm not watching it, and I haven't read it.
...blablablabla...blablablabla...

Aha...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At any rate, I'm not lambasting K-ON!, although I could do so very easily, but rather I am just gently pointing out its flaws in a light-hearted manner. Surely I can do that much, right?

Of course your are not lambasting it. You are doing is parroting general insults just to see what fits.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Of course your are not lambasting it. You are doing is parroting general insults just to see what fits.

Are you sure about that? Because you're wrong. Stating the truth is not by definition an insult, let alone me trying to find one that fits. K-ON! doesn't have any meaningful story or message and yet it also manages to be inconsistent with the world and social structures that you and I live in. That there wasn't an insult, just a statement of fact. I have never in this thread attacked K-ON!, or insulted it, because there was no malice or anger behind my comments. I was pointing out in a light-hearted fashion the lengths it will have to go to in the future to keep its fans happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3