• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Details New Wii U Console for 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazychild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's conference was the only nee I watched this year, and I thought it was fairly disappointing. The only things we didn't pretty much already know about for a fact were Luigi's Mansion 2 and Smash Bros.

Regarding the Wii U (I'm sure everybody else also came up with Pii-U within 5 seconds of hearing the name), I just don't get it. The idea of an HD Nintendo console with more robust online interests me, but just about everything they showed of the controller looked pointless to me. Some of the multiplayer applications made sense, but I play single player almost exclusively, and I have doubts whether developers will actually utilize it. Other than that, I prefer sticks to the circle pads, but it looks like the pads might be easier to use while keeping a grip on that beast of a controller.

On the 3DS front, they showed off some more footage of stuff we already knew about plus Luigi's Mansion, but still no dates for most of them. For some reason, all of the clips they showed looked really slow-paced to me (especially Super Mario and Mario Kart), but they looked great once I downloaded the trailers and saw them on my 3DS. Maybe there will be some surprises from the actual show floor.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Kind of sad how many people think this is a portable system, after he said it wasn't meant to leave the house.

I don't know if this is a reflection on Nintendo not doing a good job on stating it isn't a handheld, or just the plain idiocy of some people who can't read.

It was the first one, the conference was simply confusing. They never really mentioned the console, and didn't list any features for it. They should have stated that it was a HD console with 1080p, with the ability to add a Hard Drive, and then got into what the controller can do. The interview after the console gave you more information than the actual conference did.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jacksonart55 wrote:
Repostin' the launch list, if any of you are interested.

LEGO City Stories
Darksiders II
A new Tekken game
Batman: Arkham City
An Assassin's Creed game, with multiple screens.
Ghost Recon: Online
Ninja Gaiden 3
Metro: Last Night
Madden and other EA Sports titles.
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Battlefield 3

Source: http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86667/e3-2011-wii-u-games-announced/

All these titles have officially been confirmed as launch titles in development for Wii U, except ONE: Alien Colonial Marines.

Gamespot's E3 site is reporting that insiders have revealed to them that all those titles are currently in development for Wii U but that a port Alien: Colonial Marines is being "Prototyped and considered" meaning SEGA might be having second thoughts about publishing the title on Wii U.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Super Smash for the 3DS = WIN
Surprised
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
So many Nintendo haters here. I like Nintendo's new innovative ideas while trying to keep up with both casual and hard core gamers. The problem was with the Wii was that the technology was great for the first party games but no so much with third party games. There's also the fact that it's not HD, but that's a feature that isn't a necessity for me, though I'm assuming the Wii U will be HD which is probably why the Wii U will be able to get ports of other games.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But seriously Wii U? Wouldn't it make more sense to call it Wii P considering it's portable? Unless the U stands for union or something around those lines, I don't get what the U is supposed to symbolize or make a reference towards.

We Pee?....yes, that would turn up well... Razz
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
I can say Nintendo left a lot of details out. Rumors have the Wii U picking up GTA V next year. Confirmed is an IBM Power PC processor (quad core?) and an ATI GPU with a 25GB proprietary format (single layer Blu-ray?). They will go a long ways adding Blu-ray playback to their console. I am not holding my breath though. Nintendo has not allowed video playback on any of their consoles. They better get some game developers on board this time. I was NOT impressed with the library the Wii had. At this point, Sony Vita is more interesting that Wii U. Not to say, Wii U does have a lot of promise. I like to see if the controller is nothing more than a dumb wireless terminal, or a device with decent amount of processing power to compliment the base station. The latter can be very interesting IF games come out for it.

As for catering to hard core gamers, Nintendo has failed with the last two generations of consoles. I am not saying they "sold" people on the Wii. The Gamecube just bombed. The Wii has an unique idea which came up short with an underpowered console, and the lack of real support from developers. But what the heck. The controllers sold the Wii, period. In the end, the bottom line is all that matters.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If the people with Wiis upgrade to the Wii U then Nintendo does not need to worry about attracting people that have preferred the Playstation or Xbox, considering the fact the Wii outsold those consoles.

That's a big if though. The Wii originally succeeded because it was popular with the huge casual/novelty market. Sure, if they can catch on with that group again they'll do well. However, you have to keep in mind that the Wii had some pretty big competitive advantages over the Wii U.

Firstly, there's the issue of price. Wii had a pretty massive advantage in this department. Even right off the bat the PS3 and 360 cost more that twice what the Wii did. Although there were certainly other factors, I think it's save to say that this alone eliminated the PS3 and 360 as options for the majority of these casual players. Now though, entering the market while PS3 and 360 are still mid life means that Wii U will in all likelihood be the most expensive console on the market. Suddenly you'll be asking these casual fans to actually pay more for a Wii U than they would for a 360 or PS3. But wait, there's more.

The Wii entered the market as something pretty damn unique. At that point nobody had really seen anything like it for a console. The likes of Wii sports really was pretty novel and pretty eye catching. It was pretty easy for it to become this big novelty success that everyone just had to check out. Now though, we've got Wii, Move, Kinnect, DS, 3DS...so many novel little innovations. There's so much out there that no matter what you come up with it just doesn't seem nearly as novel by comparison. Just by virtue of being unusual the Wii was able to garner massive attention but now, coming up with some kind of gimmick does not itself guarantee that. (I'd say the 3DS is proving this).

But really, it's more than just the loss of novelty. Before Wii, nobody had really even tried going after this casual market. Initially, PS3 and 360 were pretty much caught with their pants down. They were utterly unprepared to market themselves to this new, untapped casual market and as such, even price aside, were not really viable options for these people. Now though, they've caught up. That's why everyone has a gimmick. Everyone is pursuing that same casual market. Nintendo no longer has the monopoly on that market that they gained initially by virtue of moving on it first. PS3 and 360 are now viable alternatives in the casual market. The degree to which they are competitive remains to be seen but just the fact that Nintendo has got competition unlike with the Wii is huge.

Maybe the Wii U won't be a disaster. Maybe Nintendo still has enough brand recognition and this LED controller will catch on more than I think. Even so, I just find it highly unlikely that they will find anything close to the success they did with Wii. The Wii succeeded because it discovered a massive untapped market. Now though, everyone is fighting for a piece of that market and capitalizing on it is not as easy as simply realizing it exists and targeting it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:
So many Nintendo haters here. I like Nintendo's new innovative ideas while trying to keep up with both casual and hard core gamers. The problem was with the Wii was that the technology was great for the first party games but no so much with third party games. There's also the fact that it's not HD, but that's a feature that isn't a necessity for me, though I'm assuming the Wii U will be HD which is probably why the Wii U will be able to get ports of other games.

Loads of Nintendo hate from gamers probably means the damn thing is going to sell like mad then. The more gamers whined about the Wii the more successful it got. Really goes to show that Nintendo has one of the best grasps on gaming without a lot of people even realizing it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Gimmick controller, but I shouldn't talk shit just yet. I bet I'll be camping outside of Best Buy next year for one of these. The fun of the launch is worth the hundreds spent.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Okay for anyone that actually reads this far and sees my comment: I've watched the tech demo videos on several sites. This is what it's about so far:

- The controller has no processing functionality in it. The video on the built-in LCD screen is streamed via wifi from the WU console. The controller screen doesn't support full HD like the main screen does.

- A button on the controller can switch the "main view" to the controller so that you can walk away within wifi range and still play. (Ex: Need to stir dinner cooking in the kitchen, but still want to play)

- They had a limited preview of the new Zelda game and the graphical quality, but I assume they want to keep most of their 1st party stuff to themselves for now. It will be nice to at least have easy port-ability from the other major consoles so that if someone DOES want to make the WU their main console, they won't have to system jockey (as much).

- Controller has a gyro in it so it can be used as a "periscope viewport" in games by physically pointing it above you, or around you, etc.

My personal feelings:
The name is a poor choice, as 3 vowels in a row is awkward in English. The sound doesn't roll off the tongue, and as we've seen -- people have a hard time differentiating it from the original Wii name.

The controller has a terrible design. It's not ergonomic for prolonged used. The buttons are small, the analogs are nubs not sticks, and they're positioned poorly ABOVE the main control buttons. Also theres no way they can pricepoint those controllers for less than $80-100 ea without taking a loss. So I hope they have cheaper normal controllers available and don't expect people to still be using their Gamecube controllers from 10 years ago.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Loads of Nintendo hate from gamers probably means the damn thing is going to sell like mad then. The more gamers whined about the Wii the more successful it got. Really goes to show that Nintendo has one of the best grasps on gaming without a lot of people even realizing it.

Not really, after a few years third party support became incredibly limited, as it was much more easier to just make games for the PS3 and X-box 360.

As soon as the next generation consoles start coming out the developers will have a choice of either making their games for Microsoft, and Sony or Nintendo, and unless Nintendo enjoys PS2 level domination than I don't see it being that successful.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Not really, after a few years third party support became incredibly limited, as it was much more easier to just make games for the PS3 and X-box 360.

As soon as the next generation consoles start coming out the developers will have a choice of either making their games for Microsoft, and Sony or Nintendo, and unless Nintendo enjoys PS2 level domination than I don't see it being that successful.

It kept selling far more than its predecessor, something that I notice people tend to ignore. And quite frankly, people also claimed the Wii wasn't going to do well and they were proven wrong in the most spectacular fashion imaginable. MS and Sony won't have their new systems out for a LONG time, meaning Nintendo is in a prime position.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
We don't know how far along Sony and Microsoft is, Nintendo showed very little besides test footage (the thid party support where actually just footage from X-Box 360, and PS3) so unless Sony and MS are just starting their new consoles (we know the next Sony console is being worked on) than it's not going to be a huge head start.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
It kept selling far more than its predecessor, something that I notice people tend to ignore.

That's true, however, the PS2's continued success is all about it's insane popularity during it's lifetime. It manages to stay alive despite being replaced because it achieved an almost absurd level of market penetration, selling over 150 Million units (and more importantly, some 75% of the total market share). I think I already outlined some pretty significant reasons why the Wii U will face an uphill battle in competing for that same casual market that made Wii a success. But okay, let's assume that the U finds the same success as the Wii. Well, the Wii, as successful as it was, looks likely to top out at some 90 Million units and about 45% of the total market share. But of course, that's without factoring in the 105 Million combined that the PS3 and 360 have already sold. If you add that to our already optimistic projection we end up with the U moving about 90 Mil and the other two moving a combined 210 Mil by the end of the generation. That's a mere 30% of the total market. Not even close to what we saw with PS2. So no, no matter how optimistic, you can't possibly claim that the U will be anywhere close to where PS2 was at the end of this generation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5