• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Characters With Insatiable Appetites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Allen Walker from D Gray Man eats a lot too.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:

Interesting article. I've always wondered why the binge eating anime character archetype was somewhat popular. Is it a fetish? Just played for comedic effect? Meant to characterize a character as happy go lucky and living in the moment while not caring about the consequences?
Probably none of these consistently, and it's common enough it just become a trope that may or may or not have any actual meaning. However, if I had to guess it mainly just played for laughs or meant to develop the character as hyper or somewhat impulsive.

Pretty much:
If a boy chows down, it's typical for a Japanese teen male; if a girl does it, it's embarrassing and impulsive. Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
How could you have a list like this with no mention of Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi? (Or am I just showing my age...)
Ryoko24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I think Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev should be on this list. Very Happy
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Tough poll. I thought she was awesome as Nyarko, but I love White Heart/Blanc. Probably have to go with former though. Also, I would have included Van from GunXSword on the list. He may not be the biggest glutton, but the amount of condiments he puts on his food is disturbingly ridiculous.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Tough poll. I thought she was awesome as Nyarko, but I love White Heart/Blanc. Probably have to go with former though. Also, I would have included Van from GunXSword on the list. He may not be the biggest glutton, but the amount of condiments he puts on his food is disturbingly ridiculous.

"DAMN THAT'S GOOD!!!" Laughing
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised Miya Tachibana wasn't one of the listed characters. I had to choose other. She was absolutely adorable as Miya. Out of the other shows I've seen on the list, no one really stuck with me all that much.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I still vote for Sakura from Urusei Yatsura:
Not only, in the shrill first season, did she singlehandedly eat an entire nasty beach resort out of house and home WHILE on a diet-suppression pill, we would also later see her calmly discussing problems with the other characters over a casual twelve bowls of ramen.
Or in one scene, she's enjoying an interlude at a coffee shop when a spiritual emergency erupts; as she's ready on a moment to spring into action, we see a closeup of a tall parfait disappear out of shot and come back two seconds later empty... Shocked
Mew1Mokuba-Akari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to have forgot Goku and Goyjo from Saiyuki. Goku is ALWAYS hungry and he and Goyjo are always fighting over food! Although one ep did show that Hakaru their dragon/jeep could keep up with Goku's appetite and eat just as much.

Although if there was a poll of who could hold their liquor Hakkai would have to be at the top of the list. Since no matter what kind or how much he never seems to get so much as a buzz.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Honorable mentions for gluttony: 801 T.T.S. Airbats' Yoko Shimorenjaku, and Guzula of Araa, Gudzulla da to, since he has the same power as Eat-Man's Bolt Crank.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:

Interesting article. I've always wondered why the binge eating anime character archetype was somewhat popular. Is it a fetish? Just played for comedic effect? Meant to characterize a character as happy go lucky and living in the moment while not caring about the consequences?

Because it's Japanese TV. Seriously. Laughing

• Too many programs about food. Sure, foodie culture has exploded throughout the West over the last decade, with tons of shows following the exploits of professional chefs and emerging restaurateurs. But while Japan does have a handful of cooking shows, the majority of its culinary-related television programming isn’t about people preparing or selling food, it’s about people eating it.

Specifically, Japanese TV is filled with programs wherein a completed dish is lovingly displayed, then bit into by the on-camera talent. The diner takes a bite, pauses for dramatic effect, and then lets loose with an elongated cry of “Oi—-shii (delicious)!”
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
there is no doubt goku should be on this list, though i would put him number 1 easily with toriko as number 2.

but really? SQUID GIRL? sure the appetite is something to behold, BUT its only one thing and the only thing she mainly eats. where goku and toriko, they eat ALMOST EVERY FREAKING TYPE OF FOOD PERIOD!

like it or not but sg is an epic fail for this list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Kind of hard to judge her performance in Nisekoi, since the character hasn't been introduced yet!
DQBunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Lynzee mentioned in response to my asking about Lina during the redheads thing that she had seen some of Slayers in high school.

Quote:
I have seen some of Slayers. I watched it back in high school in marathon mode but remember next to none of the plot, which probably speaks to why I didn't include Lina. I was aware of her when I wrote the column but skipped over her for a few reasons: she didn't leave much of impression on me and I thought she was too expected.

Before I get jumped for the second half the statement, let me explain. When I write the column I try to do an equal mix of standard fan-favorites that people are familiar with and a few that qualify but might usually be neglected because the character/series isn't InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Fruits Basket, Bleach, etc. I could probably stick to the medium staples and churn out a lot of columns, but I think it'd bore the readers.

I see the approach she's taken to columns like this. Really, you can take the paragraph for Goku and substitute the name/relationships for Lina and Gourry. But considering how big of a plot point that food is in Slayers, I'd dropped Squid Girl and put in Lina and tailored it toward how their quest for food drives the plot. Unfortunately, you're going to miss someone in the end.

Which, BTW Lynzee, Slayers really is worth it. Likewise, I watched it in university but it didn't leave much of an impression at the time. I went back to it five years later, and now it's my absolute favorite anime. I owe a lot to Slayers (including my marriage and the comic I write).
Papochulo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
No Katsuragi Yako from the "Neuro" series? The girl was built like a toothpick but could eat like a horse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4