• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Another huge factor for me at least in the anime vs manga was that Anime Usagi didn't outright annihilate evil...

That's exactly what she did in the first series, though.

Villains becoming punch-buddies is pretty common in shonen, anyway. Dragon Ball is full of ex-villains by the end.
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
I got to episode3 and in general it seems okay. We're still really just at the introductions and Usagi comes out pretty well as an airhead but cheerful and likable. But the inconsistencies in the animation is no joke to the point that a weird limb or distorted face steals the entire shot. Rei had gimped hands in ep 3. How can that even pass basic QC in 2014.

Surely they didn't try to remake Sailor Moon on a shoestring. I would keep watching if they can just keep the animation nice and tight.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying this version a lot, since it is very faithful to the manga (well, pretty). I enjoyed the story of the original manga SO much more than the anime. No skiing, snowboarding, skating, beauty parlor, singing contest, etc. filler, and it doesn't mess up the character relationships. All Japanese fans and I screamed when they stayed true to the past life relationships, with Jadeite showing a passionate attraction toward Mars.

Though, I do have to agree that some of the things about this adaptation are disappointing. The biggest being the cut on Rei's personality. In the original manga, she yelled at the women who were badmouthing her and Usagi to go home. In this she kind of just wimpily whispered. ALSO THERE WAS NO SHRINE MONK JADEITE FROM THE MANGA WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS MAKE JADEITE A BUS DRIVER HE CANNOT DRIVE.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
I remember suggesting at a panel I did back in the spring that something was amiss, given the delays. The fans seemed to be just as excited for the show after a set of mystery delays as they would be for the next air date. Then we only got a PV a couple weeks out? Then it was to be every other week?
---Theeeen we actually got the product!?

The review is accurate. The show is just a disappointment. The original show was a legendary gateway anime that launched many people into anime. SMC? As someone said prior, just a show going through the motions. I have a personal love for the franchise so I would like to see it get better.

As to the composer working on Naruto, he also has handled the music in Precure for quite a few of the recent series. Possibly worth noting is he recently won the award for his music. I believe for how much it gets in overseas/international sales or soemthign similar.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I thought the "past life relationships" were really contrived, and the manga didn't even do that much with them. Zoisite/Kunzite from the original anime all the way, for me. Very Happy

Lili-Hime wrote:
God I'm loving this thread Anime hyper I'm so happy I'm not alone, the consensus on Tumblr is always 'Crystal is awesome solely because it's more like the manga'. TBH Ikuhara, Sato, Enokido & Ikuko Itoh are far more talented than Takeuchi. Takeuchi is still awesome for giving us the concept, but still- the Anime team refined it into something special.

Tumblr is a "fandom" community and it's a common fallacy in fandoms that something being "close to the original" automatically makes it better/"different from the original" automatically makes it worse. They say this with comic book movies that had to change things for the screen; they say this with Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (there are other reasons people might prefer the latter but people will say "well it's closer to the manga!" as though that's the entire argument); they say this in complaining about mostly manga-faithful series that came up with their own endings because the manga was still ongoing, like Ouran and Black Butler S1. It's silly and frustrating if you know anything about film, and know that it's its own medium and that not everything that works in print media can translate to it. The message needs to fit the medium.

Sailor Moon is a good example with that, and we can see a lot of the pitfalls of trying to be too manga-literal in the character designs, for instance. Their flatness works fine in print, but just looks strange when applied to a 3D world and the angles and motion in it. I think the manga story could make a great anime, but SMC doesn't seem like it's going to be it. It's cutting it too close to home.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
I actually like a lot of the first series' "filler" episodes. It seems like they used them as a way to let directors like Ikuhara or Sato try out some cool ideas they had within the Sailor Moon universe (which is why you can see a lot of what would become Utena in Ikuhara's SM episodes, for instance). So I haven't been skipping very much at all while I've been re-watching it on Hulu. Of course, now the Hulu stream is into the Rainbow Crystals stuff so there isn't very much in the way of filler anymore anyway, but I'd say people should be careful about those "filler-free" Sailor Moon guides. You'll miss a lot of really fun stuff that helped give that old series its charm.

Oh yeah, in the list I had, I took the option of watching what the creator deemed "good filler" rather than skipping the filler altogether, and some of those episodes had my favorite moments. In the third season, i watched most of the filler because I loved Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune...whereas in season four I skipped most of it because I hate that season and wanted to get to the end as quickly as possible. Anime hyper
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I'm actually enjoying this version a lot, since it is very faithful to the manga (well, pretty). I enjoyed the story of the original manga SO much more than the anime. No skiing, snowboarding, skating, beauty parlor, singing contest, etc. filler, and it doesn't mess up the character relationships.

NO SKIING?? That was one of the episodes (while channel-surfing the dub) that got me to stick around! Smile

Tumblr is a "fandom" community and it's a common fallacy in fandoms that something being "close to the original" automatically makes it better/"different from the original" automatically makes it worse. They say this with comic book movies that had to change things for the screen

...And they said it for bad Tim Burton remakes that promised to be "closer to the original source", and ended up screwing around with whatever they felt like putting in, and then sticking in kissup tribute scenes to the popular generational version everybody remembered.

At this point, if a reboot promises to be "closer to the original", RUN. Shocked
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

That's exactly what she did in the first series, though.
Villains becoming punch-buddies is pretty common in shonen, anyway. Dragon Ball is full of ex-villains by the end.

Actually spoiler[she didn't kill Jadite or Zoicite- Beryl did. She tried to save Nephrite. But yeah she did off Kunzite tho.] I'll give you that but in the rest of the series she saved her enemies even at a potential sacrifice to herself spoiler[Hotaru & Galaxia especially]Idk, in DBZ it was more of a 'You beat me? I respect your strength so I'll hang with you now and grudgingly help you because we share a common enemy...spoiler[Piccollo, Vegeta, etc.] In Sailor Moon it was more about helping someone overcome negativity and trauma... idk it strikes me as the difference in emotional depth between shounen & shoujo manga. I'm sure DBZ wouldn't have so many fans if Goku asked Vegeta to talk about his feelings, it's just not that kind of show lol. Not to say some shounen can't be super deep and some shoujo super shallow tho.

Honestly, I thought the "past life relationships" were really contrived, and the manga didn't even do that much with them. Zoisite/Kunzite from the original anime all the way, for me. Very Happy

I agree totally Anime hyper the whole shittennou / senshi seems just seems so shoe-horned in... like 'hey all my friends can date my boyfriend's friends, isn't that convenient?' of course I could be biased because I'm a lesbian who ships Rei & Minako but hey zoisite/kunzite was hella cute and humanized their characters a lot. Not to mention manga Rei's pretty forward about how she doesn't like boys, I don't see how they can reconcile that and a Jadeite/Rei pairing... unless they drastically change her character (which they've already kind of done).

I think the manga story could make a great anime, but SMC doesn't seem like it's going to be it. It's cutting it too close to home.

Again totally agree. The manga chapters were like ~50 pgs each... and with Takeuchi's uber-fast pacing they actually have to CUT stuff from the manga to make it fit an anime episode! Even then a panel-by-panel animating of the manga is just plain boring. I've read the manga, I don't need to see it (poorly) animated.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I just realized this isn't even bi-weekly, it's semi-monthly. So instead of ending in May, ignoring any holidays or other delays, it'll end sometime in July, and that means an occasional three week break that still won't help the anime look any better.

Imagine if you weren't already a fan of Sailor Moon in any form, be it the manga or the 90s series, do you think you'd hold onto watching this? I would, just in case any more episode 3s cropped up. Still, whether it's closer to the manga or not is irrelevant when it results in a dry and lifeless show.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
er.
Imagine if you weren't already a fan of Sailor Moon in any form, be it the manga or the 90s series, do you think you'd hold onto watching this? I would, just in case any more episode 3s cropped up.

lol this is why i still watch Anime hyper and seeing horse-kitty luna. sad that something i was so excite for turned out this way but eh we have the original on blu ray so i can't complain
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
but eh we have the original on blu ray so i can't complain

I wouldn't buy that BD, it's just gonna be a shitty upscale.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Yeah, I'm curious to know why episode five was pushed back another week. Unless it were pre-emptied due to news or a special program, pushing back a series which is already being released every other week isn't a good sign. I don't know what the Japanese ratings are for SMC but it would be interesting to see how it's standing up to PreCure.

I feel very underwhelmed by this series. The character designs still bother me. I also wouldn't mind a couple of fillers since they contributed to fleshing out a character's personality. It's just been a neutral experience for me. I love Sailor Moon and I wanted to love this series, but thus far, I feel as if there's so much emphasis on making the series sparkly and shiny that they've forgotten to add in what made the first series so special to fans around the world.
Sorry if this was already tackled, but when it comes to the release date, it's every first and third Saturday of the month.

I actually feel quite pleased so far. I mean, sure. There are things that they could have improved on, but I'm kinda liking the lack of fillers and some of the toned-down expressions. As for what made the series so special to me in the first place, it wasn't necessarily the slapstick, off the wall antics of our blonde bunhead. Heck, I found the side characters more likeable than her until the S series, where she actually seemed to grow up and stop some of said antics. So, to see Usagi slightly aloof and sort of clumsy is kind of a nice change up.

That said, I like both renditions, but each for their own reasons. And that I'm able to see Usagi grow in two different paces in anime form pleases me.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:
but eh we have the original on blu ray so i can't complain

Ok correction I'LL have the BD Razz The hulu eps look great to me anyways
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Imagine if you weren't already a fan of Sailor Moon in any form, be it the manga or the 90s series, do you think you'd hold onto watching this? I would, just in case any more episode 3s cropped up. Still, whether it's closer to the manga or not is irrelevant when it results in a dry and lifeless show.

Yeah, I seriously doubt I'd keep watching it if I didn't care about Sailor Moon. As it stands, most people I know who don't have some investment in this series have stopped watching it, unless they're just the sort of people who watch every new series. Most of the people I know who keep plugging along are Sailor Moon fans. That really says something to me, you know?

But as it stands, I'm in love with this franchise enough to have made it through and mostly enjoyed the live-action series, so I suspect I'll sit through anything Sailor Moon. And because I liked the manga and think it could make an engaging anime story, I'm going to keep watching in hopes that Crystal will improve. But my hopes aren't very high.

What's good is the Viz re-release has gotten a lot of newbies who were unimpressed with Crystal interested in watching the old anime. Which fills my Moonie heart with joy. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's better than nothing. There aren't really any other options if you want a physical copy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 53