• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Quote:
It's a dull roster

you kids must be smoking crack.

Three of the biggest anime WAIFUs in the anime world are in this game and you have the nerve to call it dull? I think you need a dictionary, son. call it over-rated, sellout, mainstream, whatever, but it is absolutely not dull.

listen, the average anime user does not even know who the hell Kino is, let alone want to play them, regardless of how great a standard that niche anime series is.

Niche, huh? So in Japan Kino Journey is niche. Yes, the same Kino which is still running with Dengeki Bunko to this very day, alongside all of those "WAIFUs", is niche. Sure, there hasn't been an anime production since 2007, but to act like Kino's Journey is some no-name light novel series that's been unseen for years is ridiculous.

Also, I both love how you would be supposedly fine with all of those other derogatory terms, each of which is technically harsher a descriptor than "dull", yet hate how dismissive you are of an entire imprint's history. It can be called a dull roster because, as you state, it has a bunch of "WAIFUs" in it, plus some of the obvious "hot-right-now" representatives; it's effectively a "safe" line-up appealing to the present only. The main problem is that such a line-up will quickly make it feel outdated once most of the properties included in the playable line-up finish & become the past. Hell, even looking at the support characters there look to be a good few that could have worked easily as playable characters; Kino is simply one of those characters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't say much about Japan, but Kino does seem pretty niche over here. I never see it being brought up in casual conversation. Only between 'sophisticated' people discussing high brow titles.

I'm only opposed to the use of "dull" because it's clear you really mean "they didn't put in characters I wanted them to." Complaining about going with popular choices just makes you sound like a hipster.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Can't say much about Japan, but Kino does seem pretty niche over here.

This is a game made for Japanese audiences. If it's still running to this day, then it probably isn't niche among Dengeki Bunko readers. Not anywhere near on top, sure, but I doubt it's niche.

Quote:
I'm only opposed to the use of "dull" because it's clear you really mean "they didn't put in characters I wanted them to." Complaining about going with popular choices just makes you sound like a hipster.

First off, I never originally stated that the line-up was dull; that was Dave's choice of words. I merely explained how it could be interpreted as such, because it's not like he was stretching for a nitpick. Personally, I'm not expert of Dengeki Bunko's line-up, hence why I didn't pick it up; I have a basic understanding of all the series represented, but that's it. Still, I certainly wouldn't mind finding out about titles I had no idea existed & becoming potentially interested in them. That's a big appeal to me for playing games like Jump Ultimate Stars, J-Stars Victory Vs. (to a lesser extent), or the Super Robot Wars franchise. It's why I picked up Aquapazza, even though I have no real familiarity with Aquaplus or Leaf products; the talk of it being a surprisingly deep fighter of its kind also helped.

Unfortunately, DFC kind of fails in that aspect. The entire line-up, including the support cast, reads like nothing more than "Here's what's popular right now! Plus, there's Virtua Fighter & Valkyria Chronicles." Boogiepop & Kino (& Dokuro-chan, too) seemed to be tossed in as a faint acknowledgement of Dengeki Bunko's history; a simple sugar cookie for older fans. It doesn't do much to promote the entire history & catalog the imprint, which could have maybe helped sales of reprints of older titles, but instead is content with what's hot at the moment. Of course, the Sega-only selection of levels, though neat, doesn't help out, either.

Again, I enjoyed what I played of DFC, as it's a very solid & fun 2D fighter that has a lot to like about it. I just wish it was more than what it was from a line-up perspective. But, hey, if that makes me a "hipster", then I'll be glad to be the hipsterest hipstery hipster you've even hipstered.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
This is a game made for Japanese audiences. If it's still running to this day, then it probably isn't niche among Dengeki Bunko readers. Not anywhere near on top, sure, but I doubt it's niche.

I know, I was just explaining why potatochobit might claim Kino is niche.

Lord Geo wrote:
First off, I never originally stated that the line-up was dull; that was Dave's choice of words.

Sorry, meant that as a general you rather than a specific you.

I understand where you're coming from, though I don't blame the makers for wanting to keep things small for a first outing. Still, when the line up was being announced I kept being surprised by who they went with. It is a bit of a shame so many got left as support characters, but it's better then them not being featured at all. Besides, support characters are super useful.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
marvel knight wrote:
Technically Virtua Fighter too since Akira was there in the first All Star Racing.

Were there any others? Somehow, I feel like I recall Opa-Opa being playable in Project X Zone.

Still, the point remains that besides Sonic, what SEGA is known for in Japan and in the west are totally different, and there are even different identifies between North America and Europe, with the Total War and Football Manager games being big successes in Europe, though I can't really think of examples of SEGA franchises that did well in North America and nowhere else. Rhythm Thief?

Tallis Latif wrote:
I use Ayase ("O" Kirino), Maria from Maria Holic ("O" Taiga) with the maid assist, Shizuo, Tomoka for laughs, Misaka, and the guy from Black Bullet. I'm random with assists, which reminds me, why don't we have random? Issue in Ultimax too.

As someone who refuses to main anything in any game, I pay attention to if games have a random character select feature or not. (Or whatever is the equivalent of characters, like vehicles in racing games...or planets in Meteos.) Some fighting games don't have a random character select feature either because the designers themselves never thought about it because they all play with mains in mind, or they don't think there are enough people who won't stick with a particular character that they feel it's unnecessary.

It makes me think of the profile cards in the BlazBlue games, how it lists a player's main and sub-main. Because of it, I intentionally count how many times I've played as each character online to confuse it as much as possible. (All BlazBlue games DO allow a random character select though.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Were there any others? Somehow, I feel like I recall Opa-Opa being playable in Project X Zone.

Opa-Opa is actually called out by Ulala to attack when you summon her for an assist.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Can't say much about Japan, but Kino does seem pretty niche over here. I never see it being brought up in casual conversation. Only between 'sophisticated' people discussing high brow titles.

Sweet! I guess that makes me sophisticated. Your use of quotations seems to indicate that's a bad thing, but hey, I'll take it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
No, the quotations suggests that the being sophisticated part isn't necessarily true.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Is this game going to be getting a western release at any point?

Jajanken wrote:
This game will NEVER EVER EVER be released here. copyright issues and huge hassels. your best bet is to buy it as is like j stars. i still need both games

Funimation, Sentai, Aniplex, Viz Media, NISA, and even Media Blasters and Nozomi Entertainment all have at least one property involved here. Good luck with that.

Also, good luck trying to get Crispin Freeman and Brittney Karbowski in the same cast together.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Jajanken wrote:
This game will NEVER EVER EVER be released here. copyright issues and huge hassels. your best bet is to buy it as is like j stars. i still need both games

Funimation, Sentai, Aniplex, Viz Media, NISA, and even Media Blasters and Nozomi Entertainment all have at least one property involved here. Good luck with that.

Also, good luck trying to get Crispin Freeman and Brittney Karbowski in the same cast together.

I highly doubt any of those companies own the game rights to any of the titles that are represented in DFC. I don't know why this is still such a heavily-pushed & shared belief that anime companies play any major factor in game licensing; do you seriously think Atlus had to talk to FUNi, Right Stuf, etc. to bring over Aquapazza, too? Sure, it's happened before (Media Blasters bringing over the Samurai Deeper Kyo GBA game), but it's not as prominent as most fans assume. Also, there is a strong possibility that DFC is utilizing the light novel licenses, not the anime ones, making it even less likely that the anime companies have any say in it.

Finally, if DFC was even brought over I highly doubt it would be dubbed, since it's already such a niche product.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Jajanken wrote:

We couldn't get Super Robot Wars (except the 2 OG on GBA and Endless Frontier), nor we couldn't get a English translation of Jump Superstars nor it's sequel. So I don't expect this game to get a domestic release ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, the quotations suggests that the being sophisticated part isn't necessarily true.

I never realized that Kino was such a popular series among faux sophisticates. Also, I'm kind of unclear on what makes the series "high brow." While much of the material loans itself to deeper interpretation, the stories and their accompanying messages are fairly easy for virtually any viewer to understand and appreciate.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Finally, if DFC was even brought over I highly doubt it would be dubbed, since it's already such a niche product.

Just as you pointed out, I don't think licensing would be the largest hurdle to localization. At least in the states, how many fans really got into Accel World, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Black Bullet, Shakugan no Shana, or Ro-Kyu-Bu? I'd even venture that Izaya from Durarara as a support character is a bigger draw than Yukina from Strike the Blood as a main fighter. Perhaps European fans see things differently. Still, as long as enough fans are subbing the footage to give me a decent idea of what's going on where my Japanese fails me, I'm fine with having to import this. I'll buy it in hopes that it will encourage another release with an expanded roster.

I know that nothing succeeds like low expectations, and if I wanted to puff up the game with that route, I would say, "What do you expect by a game supported by Sega; of course every level references their brand." They should have known better, and Dave rightfully calls them out on that. Still, I would weigh this game under different expectations by thinking about it under the "party game" genre. No one calls out Mario Kart for not having the same level of challenges of Gran Turismo, even though they both involve racing. Similarly, I could see this as a comedy game played among other fan friends and folks one meets in the game room of an anime convention.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

You have me intrigued, what properties are you talking about? Do voice actors cannot do said characters for other companies, even if said company is the owner of any copyright or trademarks involved?

Quote:

Unlike Japan and Mexico, where voice acting is done in sessions where everybody involved is present, in the USA dubbing is done in solitary, so said people would not knew their voices were supposed to interact unless they see the finished game.

That said, i doubt there would be a release outside japan unless Dengeki Bunko wants to promote their properties outside japan, this would be cheaper than a full fledged publicity campaign.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Just as you pointed out, I don't think licensing would be the largest hurdle to localization. At least in the states, how many fans really got into Accel World, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Black Bullet, Shakugan no Shana, or Ro-Kyu-Bu? I'd even venture that Izaya from Durarara as a support character is a bigger draw than Yukina from Strike the Blood as a main fighter. Perhaps European fans see things differently. Still, as long as enough fans are subbing the footage to give me a decent idea of what's going on where my Japanese fails me, I'm fine with having to import this. I'll buy it in hopes that it will encourage another release with an expanded roster.

Well as I mention above, we couldn't get Super Robot Wars (except the 2 OG game and Endless Frontier), and we couldn't get Jump Superstars or it's sequel.

However, the only character crossover video game that people in US were able to get were:

Chao Wars (which had characters from Shdowheart, Growlanser, Blazing Souls, Spectral Souls, Gungrave, and Code of the Samurai)

Cross Edge (which had characters from Darkstalkers, Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls Atelier Marie, and Mana Khemia)

Trinity Universe (which had characters from Disgaea, and Atelier series)

One exception is:

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (I heard bringing this game to the US wasn't easy according to interview with the producers, Seth Killian of Capcom USA has added more thing about bringing that game to the US)

So judging from only these 4 crossover games that got US release. These characters are video game characters and not anime/manga character like let say Goku of DBZ or Naruto. I guess this is why DBFC may not get pick up in the US, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is the only exception. But I ighly doubt this game would get pick up for US and outside of Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4