• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like I will have to wait even longer to watch Free. Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Discotek will be 10 years old this year and they should do something special to celebrate.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
I'm the only one not surprised with Free! not going to Funimation? This is pretty much what I wanted to happen when Funi started announcing season 2's cast list while the distribution rights to season 1 were still in question.

No, actually, what I wanted was someone who'd get it and use their own dub cast. And I don't even like CR or probably Free!... not that I'd know since I'm not watching the first season on CR.

Anyway, it amused me, carry on.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
No blu, no buy.

Why would I pay for an inferior experience than what I can already have for free?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Funimation didn't get season 1 of Free.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
So I guess this is what may happen to any titles Crunchyroll received the home media rights to. Pretty unfortunate for Free to be distributed this way.
Indeed. I am happy we're getting both seasons of Free!, but sad that it's two different companies handling both seasons.
I really feel bad for the ones who were hoping to get both seasons on BluRay. I don't really mind season one being DVD-only, but I know some people are very upset about it.

Took the words right outta my mouth. I mean, this is kind of nuts.

Why can't things be simple? Crying or Very sad
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
These goons ruined Free! I honestly love season 1 better than season 2 and these retards can only manage a DVD-subtitle release.....just give the damn show to funimation for a dub and a blu ray release.

I would rather import the Japanese singles for $100 a piece but on BD than buy this release...
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'll get FUNi's season 2 of Free since it'll have all the bells and whistles (LE and bluray) but definitely skipping Discotek's since it reeks of "meh here you go ..." with sub/dvd only
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
With the current market being as utterly argumentative to price as it is, Discotek/Crunchy are putting these titles out as profitable as they can for each title. As much as people say "dub it! I'll buy it!" there's little evidence to show that it's worth it to start a new venture unless you do what Aniplex and Pony are doing. It sucks for fans, but this is the market you voted to support with your wallet, so deal with it. If you want a dub, show financial support that there's a market for that title. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do as your fellow R1 fans have spoken for you.

Funi can take a loss on a dub since they have big titles to offset any loss; Discotek and Crunchy can't. For those saying "give it to Funi", remember how aggressive Funi is going after Crunchy's marketshare for streaming. Why would they want to help a competitor, especially one trying to put them out of business?

Again, you reap what you've sown. Many complaints here and on Facebook about prices and you get the cheap set you wanted. Why complain now?
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that the first season of Free! didn't go to Funimation, but I am disappointed that it's DVD-only and subtitled-only. I will buy it on the hope that if the numbers are good enough that Discotek will release it with a bluray and dub.

I wonder if this will effect how Funimation releases their half. Maybe there won't be a Collector's Edition version. That'd be sad - I like their collector's editions.

Such unfortunate circumstances for Free! The releases will look uneven on the shelves because Discotek does cheap, barebones releases. The first season won't have a BD or dub. I bet this ends up eating into the numbers for both sides - fewer people willing to buy because of the differences between the releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Shame that Free! isn't getting a BD release, but if they decide to release it on BD later on I'll just have to buy that one as well. It would be great if they'd decide to give it a nice release, but Discotek is not like Funimation or NISA unfortunately.

Also pretty glad that Arpeggio of Blue Steel finally got licensed. I really liked that show.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Upset that Free! is only subs, but I guess it's no surprise considering the amount of negativity about Rin being voiced my Mignogna. I wonder how they're going to look side by side on my shelf. I'm sure one release is going to look different than the other. And does Discotek do boxsets? I don't have time to read the whole article, but I don't want to buy just 4 episodes at a time while Eternal Summer I can get the whole series at once.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Discotek does not release its titles in single volumes. In fact, it doesn't even do half-sets the way Funi and Sentai do with their initial releases. They tend to release an entire show at once, especially if it is a one or two-cours show.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Street Fighter II movie is the Japanese cleaned up remastered transfer and not the garbage transfer we got with the 25th anniversary box set.

Finally Darkstalkers!
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
For those saying "give it to Funi", remember how aggressive Funi is going after Crunchy's marketshare for streaming. Why would they want to help a competitor, especially one trying to put them out of business?

Yep, though a few of their titles are on crunchyroll. I bet sooner or later they will be taken off like Steins Gate or Panty and Stocking. Hell, Funimation will probably get AOT S2 on their site to stream/simuldub while giving nothing to Crunchyroll. But the Fans won't complain as long as they get a dub with a inconsistent script that makes H.O.T.D. sound like FMAB.

This is why Crunchy works with Sentai Filmworks alot, not just because they sell a peice of the full license they sometimes bought beforehand for Crunchyroll to simulcast. But they can work alongside eachother. And even if TAN gets simulcasts, they bring them over to Crunchyroll later down the line.

Funimation sadly works with Conglomerate as 1200 media, meaning most of their earnings are taken then distributed to other companies under their division. It's Navarre all over again, but with U.S communism. That could also be the reason from the interview rumors that AOT didn't help funimation out more than they expected In sales. They only got 35 percent profit back out of 70 spent.

So they need to reach out and get as much money/power as they can. Which is probably the reason for this simulcast/simuldub spree. There throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10