• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Sarin Gas Attack on Akihabara as April Fools' 'Joke'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I arrived in Tokyo, Japan from America on the exact same day. That's some scary stuff right there.

I know Willag is scary when she cracks the whip... But I love it!

Love you Willag! Wink

Korogoro - they haven't yet; if they did some digging on this guy... Just saying. It is an easy way for officials to explain the actions of someone who is immature and has no regard for his actions, but I can see this line of conversation opening up Pandora's box so I'll stop now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
People saying violent things and making crass jokes on the intertubes? We have a name for the prison you'd need to hold them all: planet earth.

[Edit]: removed quote - it violates willag's direction. Errinundra.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Switch-kun,

Rolling Eyes In case you didn't notice, the only person in the entire comment section using all caps is you, sir. 8 posts and I'm already less than liking you. Not a good start on the forums man. We are too serious? I would rather humanity be more serious than foolish. It is because of idiots like him that government soldiers who protect their country have to waste their time chasing down a "joker". If you have seen this kind of mentality way too often, then go somewhere else where you won't "LOL" at everything. Perhaps this place is not suited for you.

[Edit]: removed content violating willag's direction along with unnecessary quoting of Switch-kun's snark. Errinundra.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the things to joke about, he chooses a terrorist-related plot. While I myself have joked about outrageous things to the point that it has gotten me fired from my old Home Depot joke (11/19/10; a hooker joke), this is extreme, However, I did use say at Home Depot that, when dealing with customers, that I would've killed them were I not so self-restrained.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if you can call it a joke. People can be arrested for making bomb threats and I don't see how this is any different.

Now excuse me, I'm going back to my beloved tin hat before ZOG scan my brains.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
If a moderator tells you to stop derailing a thread, then please do as they say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
In America, the joke is SWATting.
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

You're an idiot. What the Twitter guy did is NOT Swatting. Do you even know what Swatting even is? Do some googling and then come back once you know what it means.

errinundra wrote:
If a moderator tells you to stop derailing a thread, then please do as they say.

The second half of my post before you deleted the whole thing was not derailing the thread at all. I feel oppressed. When did ANN become a semi-Communist website/forum? I was very careful with my words. I appreciate the fact that I didn't receive a ban, but I don't understand why Cyphon's post wasn't deleted as well. The structure of his post is similar to the lower half of the post I made before you deleted it. I find this quite hypocritical.

Either ways, I'm glad I only read ANN's articles and I don't participate in the conversations. I would have already been long gone banned by then. I don't like it when I'm being oppressed like this. The rules are too strict, I'm not comfortable with them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Switch-kun wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You're an idiot. What the Twitter guy did is NOT Swatting. Do you even know what Swatting even is? Do some googling and then come back once you know what it means.

I'm a gamer, of course I know - that's why I linked an explanation for people who won't know! (Did ya even check the link? It's right there.)

Such hoaxes, as the article puts it, the same end result that taxpayer resources being wasted when authorities have no choice but respond due to the severity of the hoaxes, while locals and businesses suffer being placed on lockdown because of the perceived threat. Tokyo subway already has such history; one doesn't go to Columbine (another one that has a history) and do the same thing and expect a different reaction.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Switch-kun wrote:
When did ANN become a semi-Communist website/forum? I was very careful with my words. I appreciate the fact that I didn't receive a ban, but I don't understand why Cyphon's post wasn't deleted as well. The structure of his post is similar to the lower half of the post I made before you deleted it. I find this quite hypocritical.

Well, this can also apply to other forum sites. The powers that be have different levels of tolerance of what can/cannot be said. Also, as Justin himself has said, ANN is a moderately family-friendly site. So, it makes sense for them to be harsh.
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I'm a gamer, of course I know - that's why I linked an explanation for people who won't know! (Did ya even check the link? It's right there.)

I know what SWATing means. I don't need the link to know what it means. SWATing is where you call the police about a crime that does not exist. Where else the Twitter guy did not call the police about the false crime. Get the difference?

Kadmos1 wrote:
Well, this can also apply to other forum sites. The powers that be have different levels of tolerance of what can/cannot be said. Also, as Justin himself has said, ANN is a moderately family-friendly site. So, it makes sense for them to be harsh.

>ANN posts about risque animes like Highschool DxD
>considers the site as "moderately family-friendly

This does not compute.

Pretty much everyone on this thread thinks one way: the Twitter guy is wrong and he should be punished. But I think of the situation differently. Furthermore, referencing other situations such as terrorist paranoia is considered part of the conversation. Telling people to stick to a certain parameter cripples the enjoyment in a debate/conversation. If I can't even reference or discuss about another topic that's linked to the original topic to better understand the main topic as a whole, then I think the rules need to be changed around here on ANN to make the forum experience better for everyone.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
To go on a 500 word conspiracy theorist diatribe on a subject that only partially correlates to the subject at hand is pushing the "no soapboxing" and "stay on topic" rules, especially since such things can easily derail the thread with heated debates. If you want to continue the topic of conversation with someone, do so in a PM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Anytime I see something like this, I always wonder what, if anything, was going through the person's head at the time. Seriously, any amount of though beforehand would make it pretty obvious that this would not be brushed off as an April Fools' joke. The fact that posting things online makes them viewable to the masses should make people think more about what they say and do, not less.
sWiTcHKun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
To go on a 500 word conspiracy theorist diatribe on a subject that only partially correlates to the subject at hand is pushing the "no soapboxing" and "stay on topic" rules, especially since such things can easily derail the thread with heated debates. If you want to continue the topic of conversation with someone, do so in a PM.

EDIT: I learned what I did wrong. I won't be an insensitive flak next time. I discussed it with some people on IRC, so I don't think the same thing will happen the next time I lurk around on ANN.

Fine I'm wrong. I was never good with talking to begin with. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not threatening you in any way. You know what? I should put a disclaimer that I mean no harm to the moderators every time I write something risky, because god dammit, people always misunderstand my intentions.

Like I said, not your fault, it's my problem, I have bloody speech disorder. I can't get my words right.

I don't like it when people are wrong and I just feel like it is my duty as a citizen to correct people. I mean, who's going to do it? I want to help people and I want to correct them, that is my mentality. Even if it's somewhat unrelated to the topic, I still want to correct the person. I know I can do it via pm, but I want to say it out in the open.

I think next time at therapy, I should discuss this with my psychiatrist. Maybe he knows a thing or two to help me become a better person when conversing on the forums. Or hey, I can make a new topic on ANN and discuss about it.

Again, sorry for the trouble I caused to both of you Moderators. I never meant it. But I had good intentions, okay? Either ways, I'll be careful.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Quoting one of my favorite indie internet series, this guy was a "twittering tweeting twit." That is basically it, Twitter tends to bring out the worst in people and others will find out just how narcissistic they are. People think they can stay anonymous but if you seriously think that you can stay anonymous on a site like Twitter, you are dead wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3