• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses KyoAni's Amagi Brilliant Park Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
{deleted by nobahn}

W/e, if that's the excuse you'll roll with i'll just leave it be. Pretty amusing though Anime exclamation. I mean, your post and his post are completely different, I don't even know why you replied to him. It seems like you read his post as something completely different and responded as such or you just don't really know how to use sarcasm... If you want to talk more about your agendas and conspiracy theories please do PM me instead of going off-topic Wink
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SHIT! I mentioned just the other day how happy I am to see KyoAni shows go to people other than Sentai and then this happens.

It's really jarring when you've got this show that has really expensive looking animation with all this careful attention to detail and then pair it with a cheaply made, half assed English dub.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Considering that ADV had FMP and this if from the same creator, I see it as an appropriate license.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

Could you also delete the the other troll posts. I am not the only one posting crap in this thread.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
^
Please report them by clicking on the red-exclamation-point icons. (and make sure to provide details)
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that Amagi Brilliant Park was licensed by Sentai Filmworks--after all, it's only 12 episodes long. Hyouka has a subject matter somewhat difficult to understand for non-Japanese and its 26-episode length makes it pretty expensive to get a US license.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
Please report them by clicking on the red-exclamation-point icons. (and make sure to provide details)

Done. I look forward to seeing more posts deleted.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Definately gonna pick this up. It isn't my favorite KyoAni series but it was entertaining enough for me to definitely rewatch. Though is this a Kadokawa series? I had always assumed it was due to its relation to FMP but the encyclopedia doesn't have them listed as having worked on this.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Great! Now I can watch this show and pretend it's the continuation of FMP! that I'm still waiting for while I sob into my tea!

(No, but seriously, I'm excited to watch this because it's at least SOMETHING from the people BEHIND Full Metal Panic, so that's a start.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Finally! Now, it's time to start hoping that this will be one of those anime that Sentai actually dubs.

Sentai dubs like 90% of their titles, and now to read some comments saying "dub is going to suck because it's sentai"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Sentai dubs like 90% of their titles

They used to do a lot of dubs in the past, but now they dub like a third of their new titles.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get the complaints about subtitles. Sentai's are a good size, a good color, and they're egible. I have blurays from other companies where you can barely read the subs regardless of color, and have even seen ones where the bottom lines cuts off on the screen. Not to mention, they usually take the time to sub signs that are in a foreign language and actually put them somewhere on the screen that makes sense. I've watched quite a few blurays where the subs for the signs are just lazily thrown on top of the screen, which can be a pain when you are trying to figure out what on screen they are translating. When Sentai subs a sign, TV screen, or something similar, the text is usually near by and generally in the same orientation.

Plus, I really like the fact they if two people are speaking on screen at the same time, they actually use two different colors so you know who is saying what. I can't stand when a company only uses white or yellow subs with no difference between two speakers.

As for dubs, honestly there is no point arguing about them. When it comes to casting particularly, everyone has their own opinion. I really dislike the vast majority of Funimations dubs, mainly due to their casting, but I don't run around and say that 90% of their dubs sucks, especially when I doubt I've listened to all of them to make that assumption. Not to mention, the people who make comments like that have usually watched very few of them overall, and this is usually evidenced by the fact that when confronted they can only listen one or two recent dubs, out of dozens, and then proceed to list shows that were dubbed two or three years ago. I saw someone mention From The New a World, and it was probably one of my favorite dubs from 2013/2014. The most recent dubs I've heard from Sentai like Watamote and Sunday Without God we're both quite good and very well cast, but that is just my opinion. I know others don't share it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Why so much clamour for Hyouka? As much as I enjoyed the show, the ending was such a buzzkill that I probably couldn't watch again. I mean the series just kind of ends in mid sentence, the last episode literally feels like an epsiode in the middle of a series, and when it ended I was like......okay and on next weeks episode, oh wait.

Regarding Amagi, good pickup, hopefully the make a season two and sometime down the line we get more fmp.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I really don't get the complaints about subtitles. Sentai's are a good size, a good color, and they're egible.
Subtitles can be very intrusive if they're too big. And Sentai's, at least in the case of Blu-rays, take up the whole bottom part of the screen. I've heard a lot of people say stuff along the lines of 'watching subtitled anime is like looking at a piece of art with a giant juice stain on it.' And while I generally don't agree with it, as soon as I switched to the subtitles on my Girls und Panzer Blu-ray I actually totally understood what they meant by it.

Yes, subtitles should be visible. But they shouldn't be so big that they block out a chunk of the screen. You might be fine with it, but my opinion is that they suck.

Quote:
Not to mention, the people who make comments like that have usually watched very few of them overall, and this is usually evidenced by the fact that when confronted they can only listen one or two recent dubs, out of dozens, and then proceed to list shows that were dubbed two or three years ago.
Off the top of my head (The examples at least, I looked up the dates on BTVA to be certain): AKB0048 (2013-14), Tamako Market (2014), Nakaimo (2013), Little Busters (2013-15), Say I love you (Late 2013), Mayo Chiki (2014), Nyan Koi (Late 2013), Girls und Panzer (2013-14), Bodacious Space Pirates (2013), Amnesia (2014), Prisma Illya (2014), Infinite Stratos (2012-2014).

Also Penguindrum may be from 2012-13 but it's worth a mention since it's my single least favourite English dub of all time.

In fact, if you ask me, they were actually better when they started off. Clannad had some weak spots (Greg Ayres as Sunohara) but it was okay and all the important moments were handled really well. Xam'd was a bit stiff but overall it was fine. Canaan also seems fine from the clips I've seen of it online.

Most of the bad Sentai dubs are actually quite recent. There's a tiny, tiny minority which includes stuff like Watamote and Tsuritama but a large majority of Sentai dubs I've seen from 2012-14 were awful. The amount of shows they're dubbing has decreased dramatically so maybe they could slowly be inching out of the rut. But it's too early to say at this point.

Plus considering the fact that they decided Super Sonico deserved a dub with a special guest VA who has no previous experience I can't say they've instilled too much confidence in me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3