• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Etotama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

I'm going to guess that Mo-tan will return later on. I think Chu-tan went a bit far though when she eliminated her. But just before Mo-tan disappeared, I think she did something that may influence Chu-tan's powers. Guess we'll see soon. That was kinda brutal in the second half of this week's episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Mo-tan! I was going to comment on it looking like Uri-tan dying again in that battle at the start, but the mood kind of changes that it looks like Mo-tan has been killed for real. Although my guess might be that Mo-tan put herself into Chu-tan. I have quite liked Mo-tan from early on, and I did appreciate the depth on her feelings of family.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Chu-tan just got jealous of how Mo-tan is so close to Nya-tan.

Was a heavy change of pace and they do make it kind of seem that Mo-tan will need to be replaced by another family member. The whole family thing is rather complicated as they themselves are immortal. Outside of Mo-tan`s graves we`ve never seen a real hint that there actually is a family even though they talk about the clans all the time. Kind of suggests the family would be all the non etotama versions.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11...

So this sets up for the finale pretty much with Chu-tan as the final "boss". I mean, she caused the most trouble in this series so it's fitting.

I expect Nya-tan to bring a big fight with her pre-amnesia in tact now. I wonder how they will present this final battle though. I got a feeling that both characters will go all out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

So Nya-tan never wanted to be an Eto-shin, she much rather do her own thing, and still had a strong connection to Chu-tan. The rat did not lie to the cat, the rat lied to protect the cat who skipped out. Based on what we saw here, it looks like it eventually weighed too much on Chu-tan and she felt like she was abandoned by Nya-tan, her closest friend. The reason Nya-tan wants to become an Eto-shin is to actually help Chu-tan who is corrupted by negative emotions.

I am always a sucker for the main character coming back and doing the ridiculous thing they did in the beginning, which here was Nya-tan doing her silly lick thing. But there is still a problem, poor Mo-tan is still gone, but hey it looks like she was right.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Well, they detailed the battle more than I had expected. However, it was a bit predicable. I had fun watching this show though mostly for the comedy of it. Wouldn't mind if it gets another season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This was indeed my favourite show of the season, and all good things have to come to an end. I admit it, I totally cried in this episode, Nya-tan struggle to save Chu-tan from the dark emotions, and then cleansed Chu-tan letting it all out with tears streaming. You know what, this might not be for everyone, but this is 110% my thing. I love struggles of built up dark emotions, and then true friendship and such winning the day.

I loved what the show said about "character", that there is established character traits, and then all this out of character or kicking and causing a fuss. I think that it works directly into why I actually become a fan of the type of twist where a character is overcome by darkness and suddenly they are not like they should. People are not really so simple to be categorised into one thing, and when a character experiences an out of character moment, they grow.

In general, it was kind of character where this show shined. From the series image people get an idea of what they feel like this is, and that is a moe anime with specific moe anime characters, and probably a harem. But one thing about this is that there is no harem, repeat no harem. And the way this show handles the characters is that it fully understands what its characters are, that a fit into specific archetypes, and a lot of what it does is really aware. I have seen it mentioned in places in calling this a parody, but I think that misses another fact, the show is aware of the weaknesses and such, but it actually also knows the strengths and behind that is a love for it. The show pokes fun at itself, but it does not say that it is bad, and as a fan of the genre it makes me quite happy.

Having not touched the technical aspects yet, the CG fights in this show can be quite amazing, this is a time where CG looks good, and conveys a fluidity that. That this season also had Show By Rock, and season 2 of Sidonia, it is fair to see that there is strength in this aspect. I would not call the standard 2D artwork bad either, not much spectacular, but in general all characters had a recognisable style that separated them all quite a bit, perhaps not a big deal until you think about anime where they change a few thing between each character. You could call this a problem for Kii-tan and Inu-tan, who were part of the whole joke of being very similar to each other, but even they had their own aspects. I love the OP song, one I watched every time, and the EDs had some strong times too.

I might be doing more of my feelings for this show than how other might feel, but I totally rate the show as Excellent. The sleeper good show that most people will only see as being more shallow than it actually is. Also, it was really funny, left it till the end of the review to say that simple fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3