• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Fans Alter Atsuya Uki's tri Character Designs to Match Original Style

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
There have been other edits in the past (I think other than the one linked) and I liked those better, might be remembering wrong though, still, don't like this one much, Tai and Hikari look better, Mimi looks alright, Izzy kinda works too but everyone else is 50/50, a few touch ups could make them better, like Joe looks way too young.
Guess the new design kinda grew on me already.
Kurori

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
22112212, both styles are good. However, in terms of likeness to their characters I think they should adopt the designs in that order.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
You have to admit fans are passionate. Man I wish they were that passionate about Chrono Crusade. I will admit the designs are definitely what I remembered.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

the eyes are explicitly designed to make all the women in anime look younger.

They do. Ya gotta remember in Japan, youth is king - anything to make them look younger.
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that the altered art is much better. Not necessarily because the style is closer to the original, but because the characters Uki did all look deadpan and miserable. There's no difference between any of the characters' faces, which is sad because in the original they were all very different in expression.

"it looks more mature"
Oh great, that's exactly what I want from my children-fighting-monsters series. Tamers had a "childish" art style too, and it will still very likely be more mature than Tri. There's no reason to change the art for the sake of "maturity"

Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm honestly baffled to the general reaction to Tri. For the first time we're (probably) getting a Digimon series that will have consistently good art quality and a streamlined story, and all people can say is "Why isn't it a TV show". I can't even fathom how that's such a dealbreaker.

As for the artstyle. I really like the new Direction they are taking Tri. A lot of the Adventure-Style edits of the characters don't seem to take the characters ages into account and just put the 10-year old faces on the new bodies, and it never quite works for me. Tai looks pretty nice in the edit though.

spoiler[And to be fair, if it wasn't for the different eyes the original designs for the kids would be completely sameface as well, so there's that?]

How can you not fathom why it's a dealbreaker???
Instead of getting a 50-episode series on a weekly basis, we'll probably have to wait upwards of 4 years for maybe 8 hours of content. Sweet animation is nice, but I never expected that from the franchise anyway, so I'd much rather be able to see Tri finish before I'm goddamn 30.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Toei, why don't you use this style for the nostalgia and give a new TV show?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:

How can you not fathom why it's a dealbreaker???
Instead of getting a 50-episode series on a weekly basis, we'll probably have to wait upwards of 4 years for maybe 8 hours of content. Sweet animation is nice, but I never expected that from the franchise anyway, so I'd much rather be able to see Tri finish before I'm goddamn 30.

...And? Persona 4 had two different weekly anime, while Persona 3 has been spread out over 4 (5?) movies over just as many years, and so far P3's adaption has been received much better than P4 even with the wait. There's still a chance Tri could be bad, but Digimon's last two attempts at a series have been pretty awful so a change in format could be just what they need.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy wrote:
I said what there was to say about the design, but about the movies:
What is the problem with movies? 6 movies could be at the same length as a 30+ episodes series. Also, they have much more freedom with pacing, not having to unnessecarily put everything into 20+ minutes. I guarantee you, the pacing will feel great.

because they'll stretch that shit over 7 years.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Is the same ugly shit, just giving them typically big anime eyes is not going to change the style back to the old one; stupid, so stupid that they do deserve these new OVAs as punishment for their stupidity.

And i bet the new girl that appears out of nowhere with her digimon will have Alphamon as her partner, so now Namco not satisfied with nerfing Omnimon at the end of 02, now will be nerfing Alphamon with these OVAs, perfect, that will make Imperialdramon the strongest vaccine digimon ever... until Mastemon appears and fanservices her way to victory.

Really the art style should be our last concern here, i am just glad it seems that Ryo and Ken will have no part on all this, now if only that crosswars manga had never happened...
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy wrote:
Uki's character design fits their mature age way better, why can't people accept it...Neophobia, nothing more

Or people can genuinely not like the new designs. Why can't people accept that? Allodoxaphobia, nothing more.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy wrote:
I said what there was to say about the design, but about the movies:
What is the problem with movies? 6 movies could be at the same length as a 30+ episodes series. Also, they have much more freedom with pacing, not having to unnessecarily put everything into 20+ minutes. I guarantee you, the pacing will feel great.

Part of the appeal of Digimon besides the battles with monsters was the cast of colorful characters. For those of us who grew up with this series 15 years ago we fell in love with these characters over the course of 50 episodes. That is what a TV Show allows and in the world of anime arcs and storylines can be drawn out over a few episodes (for better or for worse admittedly) and don't have alway be neatly wrapped in a half-hour. We could have explored these now older character's personalities, see how they changed over the years, see how they tackle new tasks now compared to when they were kids the list goes on and on.

The movies won't be able to do that because all they can do is kick into conflict and follow that to the resolution. Especially if they end up being less than a hour long and they probably will be or they will be like the Eva Rebuild Movies and have their run times scattered all over the place!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
^
On top of that, it doesn't help that some events that occurred in the TV series of Digimon are going to end up being cut out, making the films even more confusing [and a bit less fun in some cases].
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm honestly baffled to the general reaction to Tri. For the first time we're (probably) getting a Digimon series that will have consistently good art quality and a streamlined story, and all people can say is "Why isn't it a TV show". I can't even fathom how that's such a dealbreaker.

A TV series would likely have seen an online simulcast, while a series of movies may not even get a home video release outside of Japan.

Even those resorting to piracy will have to wait for the Blu-ray release of each movie to go on sale in Japan.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the original franchise....I really hate the altered version. Tai looks alright enough. Everyone else tho? NAAAAHHH
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
A TV series would likely have seen an online simulcast, while a series of movies may not even get a home video release outside of Japan.

Even those resorting to piracy will have to wait for the Blu-ray release of each movie to go on sale in Japan.

Also, a simulcast could get a larger audience. Heck, a few months after started airing (3-4 months minimum), you could do a streaming dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5