• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Categorization Is Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
I'm not seeing this. Reviewers for big sites like ANN have to cover everything, so they get exposed to the girl stuff and I suppose the cooties-phobia wears off if they ever had that problem. But there are plenty of people on smaller sites and personal blogs and in meatspace, not to mention posters on this forum, who will openly state that they aren't interested in checking out works if they're for girls (or even that they don't need to try them, because they're guaranteed to be bad).

This matches my experience too. I often get guys telling me things like "I liked Oh My Goddess/Love Hina even though it's girly!" or patting themselves on the back for getting through 'shoujo' titles like Puella Magi Madoka Magica in spite of what they perceive to be girly themes (my examples are real ones; I know that they're wrong). My male friends legitimately enjoy shoujo romance stories with no need to make excuses but I've lost track of how many people treat dabbling in girls' comics as some kind of terrifying risk which might actually destroy them somehow. Yet I have literally never heard any woman say that they like Attack On Titan or Magi 'in spite' of it being aimed at guys; there's a double standard deeply ingrained in how we choose our entertainment. It's very liberating feeling free to choose from whichever demographic I feel like on any given day. If only more people could enjoy it without feeling nervous or having to question themselves; the demographics are rough guidelines, not strict rules which have to be followed.

Leading on from this, I somewhat disagree with the idea that the original demographics are no longer useful when a series goes west. I know what I'm getting if I see a title originally ran in Shounen Jump or Dengeki Maoh, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a particular kind of experience. With romance titles, I especially like knowing how likely it is that the main couple will actually pair up and have their relationship go somewhere - the demographic trends are a great hint there.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention Marvel Disk Wars is just really stupid in concept. It doesn't help that hearing the Avengers with Japanese voices is just too disjointing and weird (I've seen numerous complaints about it, so it's not like I'm the only one with this opinion). If it were somehow dubbed with the cast from the Avengers Assemble cartoon, it might remove some of the disillusionment, but the whole disk thing is still a dumb idea to begin with.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

I do agree that if you wander around at random you are more likely to encounter someone complaining about stuff that bothers them in male-targeted media compared to female-targeted media. But this is a factor of 1) more people consume male-targeted media in the first place, regardless of whether they themselves are male or female, so people at large are more likely to talk about male-targeted media, and 2) people are more likely to be irritated by content in works targeted to the opposite gender, and most women consume male-targeted media on a regular basis, and thus have the chance to be irritated by it, whereas most men rarely or never consume female-targeted media.

Statistically there is more towards dudes, but that's hardly relevant when the issue is about how both sides of the spectrum are criticized by both genders.

And sorry, but the bolded statement just reeks of sexism to me. This isn't the 50's anymore. Men are much more willing to engage in female oriented media nowadays. A good chunk of "girl shows" like MLP have a TON of male fans. See Bronies.

lebrel wrote:

Within the US anime audience, those kinds of shows are niche. They are quite popular within that niche, but it's still a niche. They are always going to have a smaller potential fanbase than, for instance, an action-driven show.

Americans aren't just the "general" fanbase too you know and pigeonholing them to have a preference towards action is another fallacious assumption. Contrary to what Cartoon Network thinks, the majority likes more anime beyond DBZ and Cowboy Bebop.

lebrel wrote:

These shows are also niche (although I'm not sure I'd shove Brothers Conflict in the same bin as Diabolik Lovers). If only a subset of people like a kind of thing, assuming that reviewers are drawn at random from the population, only a subset of reviewers will positively review that kind of thing. Personally, I'd rather watch Diabolik Lovers than Scream And Punch Things Manly Action Time #549, but I know that I'm in a minority on this compared to the average US consumer.

Again, you're jumping to conclusion that the "average US consumer" is a base action junkie who doesn't care about other genres therefore they are "niche." USA is a big country with different demographics of different cultures and backgrounds. You're falling into the same trap as disconnected corporate executives of what people want in anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I've heard most of Sentais dubs are pretty terrible, so is them making less dubs really such a bad thing?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
But there are plenty of people on smaller sites and personal blogs and in meatspace, not to mention posters on this forum, who will openly state that they aren't interested in checking out works if they're for girls (or even that they don't need to try them, because they're guaranteed to be bad).

That's because most of them ARE bad. Akatsuki no Yona and Ore Monogatari are lovely exceptions, but the usual stuff we've gotten recently are Diabolique Lovers, Brother's Complex, Shounen Hollywood... bottom of the barrel.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I've heard most of Sentais dubs are pretty terrible, so is them making less dubs really such a bad thing?

I asked the question on Seraphim Digital. I was not trying to complain about Sentai doing less and less dubs lately. I was curious about the inner workings of Sentai's dubbing studio and wanted to know what Justin knew and thought about it.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
lebrel wrote:
But there are plenty of people on smaller sites and personal blogs and in meatspace, not to mention posters on this forum, who will openly state that they aren't interested in checking out works if they're for girls (or even that they don't need to try them, because they're guaranteed to be bad).

That's because most of them ARE bad. Akatsuki no Yona and Ore Monogatari are lovely exceptions, but the usual stuff we've gotten recently are Diabolique Lovers, Brother's Complex, Shounen Hollywood... bottom of the barrel.

Eh, playing devil's advocate here, but you forgot to mention Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun etc. Not the most recent of recent examples, but hardly the exception imo.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Those are not quite recent.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those shows aren't released in the US because the American networks don't want them

Can you blame them? I remember how I sat down to watch first episode of Iron Man because it had Warren Ellis' name attached to it and then on second or third minute it became abundantly clear that he has nothing to do with the show and anime is case of the week mecha with some lame dude who happen to share his name with Tony Stark and wears armor, not to mention it had worst design of Wolverine...ever.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
The thing about streaming is that the underlying technology is going to change, guaranteed, and I don't think we can trust any service - video or music - to be around in the same form in four or five years.

The primary reason I stick to listening to music on CD, and will continue to do so for as long as I live, is because I like owning physical media and CD is still the end of the line as far as mass-market physical media for music is concerned (successor physical media formats like DVD-Audio exist, but never really caught on outside of very specific niches like classical music), but, yeah, my skepticism about current streaming audio platforms being able to survive in the long term is at least an additional "confirmation bias" justification for sticking to CD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Properties like The Avengers and Disney shows are so tightly controlled that anything that isn't part of the basic strategy for that show -- anything that deviates from how the people in charge want those properties to be presented and marketed -- is usually nixed. At the very least, it's not taken seriously. The anime market in and of itself is not seen as big enough to bother with.

In the pictured case of the Avengers, that's true:
Even "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes"--probably the second-best Marvel cartoon ever made behind the 90's X-Men--had to be cancelled by Disney because it didn't "fit" with Marvel's corporate-wide unified canon with the movie imagery.
(So, now, instead of classic print-comic canon, they have to be wisecracking goofs joking about snacks every third line.)

In the case of Disk Wars, it's the case that Disney US doesn't own what Disney Japan owns, which was pretty much the case with Stitch.
In which instance, it does come down to an idea of whether the show is "worth it", and a Stitch show that isn't in Hawaii and where Lilo doesn't appear, or a Marvel show that has little to do with the original comic so it can promote a Pog game that hasn't been marketed over here yet, is not something they can see a reason to actively pursue, especially with the costs of dubs and Japanese negotiation.
What, you thought, "But, they're Disney, they're worldwide 'n stuff!"?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Why categorize at all anything? Well because we have to. It's easy to want to throw out the rules when they get tough but like Answerman said, there's no replacement he can think of, nor I can.

Probably as years go on we'll wake up and find over night suddenly things have changed. Much like Pop Music of today are Oldies tomorrow. We'll just find that suddenly anime made for web/streaming services will be shorthanded to it's own special genre apart from the late-night anime of today. No one knows what the future will look like so the next categorization system will emerge under our noses.

As to why, simply because it makes communication between people easier. Instead of relating a show's whole synopsis when trying to recommend a show you can just say "It's a Sunday Morning Magical Girl show" and immediately know the tone and general outline.

The problem is when people hear a label and use it to write off a show instead of let it inform them of the general content. How many people wrote off a show because "Mecha" was used to describe it?

Oh that's a good point, Mecha used to be all one simple brightly colored genre. Then Gundam came out and you had a Real/Super split in the genre, and Evangelion fudged that all up a few decades later. genre is fluid, use it to inform your conversations with others and don't let it limit.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm an oddity, but I usually don't know the demographic of what I watch before I watch it. I can guess based on the content, but I never actually know. Mainly because I pick series based on what I think looks entertaining in some way. It's not weird to me that someone would shy away from something because of the demographic, I know I did it on occasion when I was younger, but when it comes to Japanese cartoons at least, it never enters my mind for the reason above. I suppose ignorance is bliss.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Given that Sentai's lowered dub output, I think it's possible that we might hear more of the Sentai VA pool start to become part of the Funi VA pool. That is, those that were exclusively with ADV/Sentai or did 1-2 Funi shows might be in more Funi shows.

It's also happened that some of the Funi regulars have started working at Sentai. Jamie Marchi is 1 of the most recent additions.

For those wondering what was the trend of ADV/Sentai VA working on Funi titles, one explanation is that it is of convenience since both are located in Texas. However, a potential factor was that Vic Mignogna was the first ADV VA to work on a Funi title.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
In today's society (well, Japan's), categorizing manga, LN, and anime IPs by demographics is both outdated (as a lot of IPs try to broaden their reach to other demographics, and not focus on a specific age-range & gender) and appropriate (for it can give a rough - even if at times misguided - idea on the "limitations" places on the content).

lebrel wrote:
I also like the Japanese system in part because it cuts through the "[this demographic] likes this, [that demographic] likes that" arguments....In Western fiction, we are more likely to assume that genre and demographic go together: romance is always for women, thrillers are always for men.

A large part of the reason for the difference in the Japanese system is that we call anime after the manga magazine it was serialized in, and the manga is published first in large anthologies the most prominent of which are targeted by demographic primarily rather than genre. Those anthologies tend to have quite a few stories from a variety of genres, so what happens is that the proportion of stories from different genres changes depending on the target demographic, but often most genres are represented (albeit generally with different emphasis and tropes). Weekly Shōnen Jump will have 20 or 21 manga serialized, and a lot more of them will be fantasy action-adventure than in magazines targeting other demographics, but they'll still have Haikyū!! or the occasional Nisekoi.

This breaks down as more stuff gets put on the Internet and either free or in much wider subscription bundles; one reason why Nozaki-kun is somewhat difficult to categorize for people is that it's on Gangan Online, which most people do still call shōnen, even though it's free. With a magazine people have to pay money for a particular size bundle of targeted comics, so the categorization happens more naturally. In the same way, anime that don't originally come from manga anthologies are much harder to classify.

Note too that in US publishing, there are certainly, say, SF stories or comics aimed at female audiences (not all of which are paranormal romance), but most media consumption is not done in anthologies. There are SF TV series in the US with strong female demographics, like Supernatural. However, movies are so big budget that it's difficult to justify aiming for something other than the widest possible demographic for a genre, which is skewed for genres like action and romance. (Mad Max: Fury Road and Pitch Perfect 2 this past weekend had M/F splits around 75/25 and 20/80, as expected.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6