• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP profile/interview in today's New York Times

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well from what I heard, autographs would only be given away during a raffle

I dunno about the other things, but from what I know of AX, because of it's size pretty much all autographs are done by raffle, or at least "ticketed first" the rest if they have time. For a popular person/group it's really the only option. I don't hold it against CLAMP at all if they don't want to sit for MANY hours signing over 10,000 autographs (which would be just 1/3-1/4 of AX's attendance from what I recall of reported numbers). If you average 30 secs per autograph (time enough for "hello, your name?" *sign* "thank you" *handshake*, *wave* "next") that's 120 people an HOUR. if you can trim that to 20 secs per, which means people move at a good clip and don't really get much interaction with the guest, no pictures or discussions, etc, you're getting 180 people an HOUR. If you have just 1,000 people wanting their autograph (less than 5% of the people in attendance) that'd take over FIVE HOURS to process. Do you know ANY celebrity (even sports figures being paid by the autograph) who would sign for FIVE HOURS straight? Split the session? What about people who want multiple autographs? What if you have 2,000 people wanting autographs? 5,000? more?

Some people come to SMALL American conventions from other countries in order to see a guest. I can only imagine some of the fans that AX got for CLAMP. At least with a raffle everyone has a CHANCE at the autograph. Another option is an auction so if anyone REALLY wants one they can outbid others, but then people who lose talk about the mercenary nature of it or the "rich" people getting all the good stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Heero:
Quote:
Do you know ANY celebrity (even sports figures being paid by the autograph) who would sign for FIVE HOURS straight?

John Woo? Kevin Smith?
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well from what I heard, autographs would only be given away during a raffle, and one of the lucky recipients had to hold his memento over a divider, because they didn't even want to shake his hand or greet him.

That's just common sense, though. I've heard a lot of people who attend cons stress that it's a good idea to keep physical contact to a minimum, or you'll wind up coming away with every contagious disease the congoers brought with them.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Well from what I heard, autographs would only be given away during a raffle, and one of the lucky recipients had to hold his memento over a divider, because they didn't even want to shake his hand or greet him.

That's just common sense, though. I've heard a lot of people who attend cons stress that it's a good idea to keep physical contact to a minimum, or you'll wind up coming away with every contagious disease the congoers brought with them.
I agree, I think a lot of those things, as unfortunate as they are, are just common sense. Realistically though, what would you say to them if you DID get the chance to talk? "I love your work." Yeah, they know that already, nothing personal but you're person #whatever to say that. "Critique my artwork?" Uuuh, even if there were enough time for that, I think it'd be way too hazardous to them and yourself. It would either explode someone's ego or crush someone's dreams, and some people have trouble controlling their reactions. Snide comments are just rude, and any questions you have for them can be answered in a panel, most likely. There's just too many people and not enough time to have any point to a conversation. I'd be satisfied with an autograph, exchange of smiles and eye contact, maybe a "Hello" or "Thank you" then be on my way.

Anyone here actually get to meet them and can share your experience?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3