• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Viewers Pick Is the order a rabbit?? as Most Anticipated Fall 2015 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
... do I dare ask why "Is This Order A Rabbit" the top with male fans? The cutesyness turned me off but I'm guessing there is something more to it?

It's just a really cute, pleasant, well made show. Also, Rize<3. There isn't anything sketchy about it, if that's what you were implying.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like Lupin the Third is missing from the poll?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Gundam for me. Mari Okada has proven with Sasami: Magical Girls' Club and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine that she's able to produce bold new versions of old, established franchises. Plus, her last show, Selector Spread Wixoss, was absolutely amazing. I'm expecting good things.

Mari Okada is working on it?
Hm.. seems it'll be a hit or a miss for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
Kai99 wrote:
... do I dare ask why "Is This Order A Rabbit" the top with male fans? The cutesyness turned me off but I'm guessing there is something more to it?

It's just a really cute, pleasant, well made show. Also, Rize<3. There isn't anything sketchy about it, if that's what you were implying.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it's just well-done cuteness, it doesn't need to have some heinous undercurrent to understand why people like it.

I disagree a bit with Foxaika and walw6pK4Alo. While I cannot consider Is The Order a Rabbit?? a perverted anime, there are a couple of mildly sexualized things that make it less innocent than a Kinmoza or Non Non Biyori.
Kai99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kai99 wrote:

The coffee. Gotta be the coffee. Also, it's just well-done cuteness, it doesn't need to have some heinous undercurrent to understand why people like it.

Yeah, but to top the list at number 1! Just for cuteness?
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I disagree a bit with Foxaika and walw6pK4Alo. While I cannot consider Is The Order a Rabbit?? a perverted anime, there are a couple of mildly sexualized things that make it less innocent than a Kinmoza or Non Non Biyori.

The only thing I distinctly remember really is the pool episode, but even that one isn't too bad really. Of course, I'm not saying it's Non Non Biyori innocent or anything, but I don't think it's very far off the mark. Regardless, the main thing is that being sexualized probably isn't why popular, and I don't think we disagree here.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Non Non Biyori.

Nothing says innocent like a 10 year old with a "well developed" rack.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
the main thing is that being sexualized probably isn't why popular, and I don't think we disagree here.

We actually disagree. I believe that Is The Order a Rabbit? is popular because it is about cute girls in some slightly sexualized situations. Remember that Japanese anime otaku appear to be closet pedophiles.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Foxaika wrote:
the main thing is that being sexualized probably isn't why popular, and I don't think we disagree here.

We actually disagree. I believe that Is The Order a Rabbit? is popular because it is about cute girls in some slightly sexualized situations. Remember that Japanese anime otaku appear to be closet pedophiles.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you. I don't think it's so sexualized to the point where that's really the sole reason it's liked, but it's whatever.

Last edited by Foxaika on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:

And because it was fun to watch, thus people like and enjoy it and are looking forward to more of it? What are you getting at here?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know Rabbit was that popular, though it also surprised me when I heard it was getting a second season. I saw the first episode but never got around to watching the rest. It looked cute though. Oddly enough the only second season I'm watching(and incidentally my most anticipated) is Testament Burst. There are a couple shows I'm gonna be watching but nothing that really screams out "super hyped to watch". I'll check out Gundam, Heavy Object, Comet Lucifer, that Antimagic one and probably the Shomin Sample and Calvary one.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Nothing says innocent like a 10 year old with a "well developed" rack.

Putting aside the fact that it's not unheard of nowadays for fifth grade girls to go through unexpectedly early developments - since we all know that anime doesn't include fully-developed elementary-schoolers for the purpose of "realism" - there's a big difference between the otaku-pandering in Non Non Biyori and the fanservice in Is the Order a Rabbit?

Non Non Biyori presents moe otaku (who, by and large, lean towards the right of the Japanese political spectrum) with a highly idealized version of rural life. "Wouldn't you like to move out to the country-side, settle down with a nice girl, and help her run her grandmother's candy store?" In that sense, Non Non Biyori's chesty ten year old girls aren't there for you to ogle them; they're there because, eventually, they'll become hot, baby-crazy twenty-something women. It's all part of the package deal that comes with adopting a traditional rural Japanese lifestyle.

Meanwhile, over in Is the Order a Rabbit?, Rize is down to her bra and panties within seconds of her first on-screen appearance. Plus, even though she's into otaku stuff like guns and knives, she has a strong feminine side, too! In this show, the girls are the product, not the setting. Come on down to our coffee shop, here's what we have in stock.
Kai99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kai99 wrote:

And because it was fun to watch, thus people like and enjoy it and are looking forward to more of it? What are you getting at here?

I'm trying to see if there is there something more to it. School Live is a show with cute girls doing cute things... and zombies. I can see the appeal. What makes this show number 1 to male fans? For those who watch the previous season, is the characters unique and three dimensional, is it the story, what makes it so popular? To say that it is because it is "cute" with all the cute anime out there, I just can't buy that explanation for an anime ranking NUMBER ONE.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:

I'm trying to see if there is there something more to it. School Live is a show with cute girls doing cute things... and zombies. I can see the appeal. What makes this show number 1 to male fans? For those who watch the previous season, is the characters unique and three dimensional, is it the story, what makes it so popular? To say that it is because it is "cute" with all the cute anime out there, I just can't buy that explanation for an anime ranking NUMBER ONE.

Well, there is the fact that they are baristas. And the whole "rabbit" thing as well.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:

There's a lot of cute anime, sure, but this particular cute anime does cute really, really well. The character designs are also very attractive, with just the right amount of curvy bits to please the daimakura crowd, but no so much that it turns off people who aren't into that sort of thing. Above all, it's just really pleasant to look at, and fairly inoffensive compared to something like Castle Town Dandelion's noticeably fanservice-heavy art direction.

It's also a Manga Time Kirara show, so even if you've never seen the first season, you know what to expect: cute girls, light lesbian subtext, some kind of gimmick to set the show apart from the 20+ other Manga Time Kirara comics that come out every month. It has all of the usual moe bits, but its "cute baristas and fluffy rabbits" gimmick allows it to excessively pile on the cuteness to a point well beyond the level of other shows.

Finally, we've had two seasons of frankly amazing "cute girls doing cute things" shows. A lot of people are coming off Kiniro Mosaic, Non Non Biyori, School-Live, and Seiyu's Life hungry for more moe. It's no real surprise that another moe show, especially one that people remember so fondly, would be so highly anticipated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4