• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Dub Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Release Gundam Build Fighters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
All of their dubs have excessive obnoxious American accents (I should clarify, general American accents are fine, but there's a specific stereotypical obnoxious American accent that seems to be used a lot in dubbing that is just awful and straight up painful to listen to.) even when the work clearly does not call for it. And the delivery is always done in this sort of cheery manner, even when something bad has happened, and it comes across as a bit "My father died but I can't stop smiling".

I find most American dubs in general really really grating, but FUNimation have managed to tone the American-ness down or make it work in a way others haven't...

Also, there is a special place in hell for whoever gave Durarara!! the most American cast they possibly could, did the casting director not realise the show is very prominently set in Ikebukuro?

Really? You find all 176 titles (per their ANN Encyclopedia entry) to have obnoxious American accents? Have you seen all those 176 titles?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about your statement of finding most American dubs very grating. This is because the general statement I tend to see of dubs is that they are annoying/suck/fail to live up to the original.

As far as the casting director, while I do feel casting questions are questionable for the dub and sub, have you forgotten that they are subject to the approval/disapproval of the Japanese companies?
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
dark13 wrote:
English is my first language but Japanese is not and if you try to Translate,a word that makes sense in Japanese into English,there will be lots of head scratching, a good example is Gad Guard

Tell me what was head scratching about the translation in Gad Guard. Because I don't think its the translation but the show itself so you must be confused.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/gad-guard/dvd-1

The negative Carlo gave was, "Ragged storytelling and ill-timed cuts lead to several "what the heck?" moments".
I guess I never watched it sub so
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:
All of their dubs have excessive obnoxious American accents (I should clarify, general American accents are fine, but there's a specific stereotypical obnoxious American accent that seems to be used a lot in dubbing that is just awful and straight up painful to listen to.) even when the work clearly does not call for it. And the delivery is always done in this sort of cheery manner, even when something bad has happened, and it comes across as a bit "My father died but I can't stop smiling".

I find most American dubs in general really really grating, but FUNimation have managed to tone the American-ness down or make it work in a way others haven't...

Also, there is a special place in hell for whoever gave Durarara!! the most American cast they possibly could, did the casting director not realise the show is very prominently set in Ikebukuro?

Really? You find all 176 titles (per their ANN Encyclopedia entry) to have obnoxious American accents? Have you seen all those 176 titles?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about your statement of finding most American dubs very grating. This is because the general statement I tend to see of dubs is that they are annoying/suck/fail to live up to the original.

As far as the casting director, while I do feel casting questions are questionable for the dub and sub, have you forgotten that they are subject to the approval/disapproval of the Japanese companies?
What even is an "American accent?" I didn't realize there was such a thing.

And personally I find that Bang Zoom does some of the best dubs out there.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
That cool that there dubbing the new one but build fighter be even better
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Build Fighters is definitely one that should be dubbed and aired on Toonami. They need to recruit young blood for the fanbase here in the West and Build Fighters could be for this generation what Wing was for mine.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Build Fighters is definitely one that should be dubbed and aired on Toonami. They need to recruit young blood for the fanbase here in the West and Build Fighters could be for this generation what Wing was for mine.
the problem is that would be targeting the children since build fighters is that type of show and I'm not sure that what sunrise has in mind for gundam at the moment
quippie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
So they're not dubbing GBF/GBFT? Just releasing them in the west?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
So, do folks want the new Gundam dubbed or not? I'm confused as to what you're all arguing about here since some of you are complaining about the darnedest things. By the way Buzz201, there's no such thing as an "American accent".

dark13 wrote:
English is my first language but Japanese is not and if you try to Translate,a word that makes sense in Japanese into English,there will be lots of head scratching, a good example is Gad Guard

Then how come your grammar and syntax are so bad? As for Gad Guard, you do realize the Japanese love slapping random English words together because they think it sounds cool to them, right? They've been doing that since English became a fad for them in the late 80s.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
So, do folks want the new Gundam dubbed or not? I'm confused as to what you're all arguing about here since some of you are complaining about the darnedest things. By the way Buzz201, there's no such thing as an "American accent".

dark13 wrote:

Then how come your grammar and syntax are so bad? As for Gad Guard, you do realize the Japanese love slapping random English words together because they think it sounds cool to them, right? They've been doing that since English became a fad for them in the late 80s.
I wish I understood what you were,saying but I'm totally lost,you said something about Gad Guard ? but that about it.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Nyren wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
the problem is that would be targeting the children since build fighters is that type of show and I'm not sure that what sunrise has in mind for gundam at the moment

I'd say it could even get on the daytime slots on CN (LBX just seems so cheap in comparison to it lol), though admittedly there is slightly more fanservice (and I don't mean the referencing kind) than any other anime they market as being "for kids" so they might need to edit some parts out. Still, I'd love for it to get on daytime CN, would open up such an audience (and the fight scenes would be so much better than about anything aired on that network ever outside other anime).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Gundam iron-blooded orphans is getting dubbed this is fantastic news and by Bang Zoom no less they always do great dubs. Also I hope IBO airs on Toonami soon it would be the icing on the cake if it does looking forward to the home video releases too. Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Gundam iron-blooded orphans is getting dubbed this is fantastic news and by Bang Zoom no less they always do great dubs. Also I hope IBO airs on Toonami soon it would be the icing on the cake if it does looking forward to the home video releases too. Very Happy

Yup Smile
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I've yet to come across a BZ title that didn't, but know I haven't seen all 176.

It's a specific, sort of really cheesy accent, that remains quite cheery all the time.

Aniplex of America handles Durarara!!, chances are approvals were a lot less strict.

Just-another-face wrote:

How hilariously rich , the nation that seems to think British people speak with a "British accent" is slagging me off for grouping too many accents together*... Razz

The accent in question is a very very specific accent that I don't think people actually have. It's the stereotypical accent British people use to mock American accents, but I think it's just an affectation used a lot in VO and children's media. It's used a lot in this episode of Future Card Buddyfight, but this is one of the much less obnoxious examples, as it's been toned down a fair bit.

*If you didn't know Britain has far greater regional variation in accents than America, and the accent Americans generally refer to is Received Pronunciation (or The Queen's English).

Nyren wrote:
What even is an "American accent?" I didn't realize there was such a thing.

And personally I find that Bang Zoom does some of the best dubs out there.

See above.

If you enjoy them, more power to you. Just saying I'd like a dub where people use normal accents, instead of that ridiculous affectation.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Why are we talking about accents again? It's a non-issue, first of all. Secondly, even if it was an issue, it's kind of stupid not to expect such a thing. I mean, gasp! American dubs for American audiences with American accents! Wow! My mind is now blown! Next you'll say that shows made for Belfast denizens have Belfast accents!

It's a non-issue. You're not even the target audience. If "accents" bother you so much, why don't you watch something "without" accents? In other words, you have no right to listen or watch anything.

Only American and Anglo-Canadian opinions on North-American English dubs matter. Hell, the overwhelming majority, if not all British anime dub fans prefer dubs from North America. That's a fact, not an opinion. No-one in Britain likes British VAs above American VAs. They don't give a shit about the accents.

If you don't like the overwhelming majority of English dubs based of a non-factor, then you're not really a dub fan and in that case, why are commenting on this issue? If you don't like dubs, then don't talk about them.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I wish I understood what you were,saying but I'm totally lost,you said something about Gad Guard ? but that about it.

Can't you quote the part of my post you're actually replying to instead of mass quoting? Just forget it.

Buzz201 wrote:
How hilariously rich , the nation that seems to think British people speak with a "British accent" is slagging me off for grouping too many accents together*... Razz

*If you didn't know Britain has far greater regional variation in accents than America, and the accent Americans generally refer to is Received Pronunciation (or The Queen's English).

For starters, chill out. I'm not speaking for the whole of the U.S. here. I'm just saying there's nothing here that qualifies as an accent for us.

Second, what part of that video are you referring to exactly? Give me an exact minutes-and-seconds segment.

And third, I'm very well aware there are different types of British accents, so you don't have to get all smug and smarmy about it. In fact, I happen to like the many British accents out there myself personally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5