• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: When Marnie Was There BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

A few mainstream film critics picked it up as well if you read through the Rotten Tomatoes reviews. They frequently brought up imagery they took as sexual symbolism. For example, Anna only is able to meet Marnie when the water from the tide comes in; and in a pivotal scene where spoiler[Marnie begs Anna's forgiveness and they exchange 'I love you's'] water is rushing in over Anna.

Ofc it can be interpreted as a romantic friendship, especially in light of the twist. However I do think there is a possibility Anna's character alone can be read as homosexual. Her sense of isolation is familiar to those growing up in more conservative families or cultures where someone has to sort of hide who they are. Also it's kind of interesting that spoiler[when Anna placed herself in the past, she twice took the place of Marnie's future husband. Once during the dance and second during the rainy night. Both were very romantic moments.] Just a few things me and my partner took away from it when we saw it in theaters (after crying like babies through most of it).

Can. But is it worth it? Do people have no other reason to feel isolated, not like others or to have a strong friendship with a person of the same sex? Homosexuality and romantic attraction really need be a universal explanation for any problems for any characters? Not to mention all weird incestuous implications, what makes this approach. Do you want to think that Ghibli created a movie where the spoiler[granny's ghost seduces MC to help her come out as a lesbian, accompanying it all with a metaphor of orgasm?].

Anna never showed a single sign that she was trying to hide something or was struggling with some differences. Not all introverts who are single individuals who fear society are hidden gays and lesbians, and not all open and popular people are straight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3