• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN: Best of Summer Anime 2015 Poll Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
@AwaysAnnoyed

If you had simply said you were sad because your show did not place on the list there would be no problem. However, you took a rather tasteless trope and attributed it to all ANN users even though the show in question ranked low. That came across as insulting.

I should point out that the theme of a private individual who solves crimes that the police cannot is rampant in western mystery fiction. US TV has even brought back Sherlock Holmes in modern dress recently. I can't speak for others, but I started watching anime and reading manga to get away from the same stories I had read and watched all my life. This is not to say that anime does not have repetitive themes but they are different from western media. This may have had an influence on why people did not like your show.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the consensus would be for ANN on the best broadcast dub summer title. I think that is something worth writing about since you don't have to wait over a year to read their views on the dub.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
I might have liked Ranpo Kitan more had the characters all been adults as in Nijuu Mensou no Musume where Akechi and Nijuu Mensou appear to be in their thirties. Having them be adolescents just didn't do it for me. Going into the season I was looking forward to seeing more stories from Edogawa Ranpo, but once I started watching Ranpo Kitan I dropped it after a few episodes. I didn't like how it targeted the fujoshi audience either. Is that who the producers at noitaminA now think watch shows in that time slot?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to My Love Story, School-Live, and Charlotte for placing in the Top 3. Smile My honorable mention goes to The Asterisk War for placing in the Top 10 of the Anime! Anime! poll.
VegetaEx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Hard to see Umaru on 19th. But on the other List on 4 thats good. For me the 1.

My Love Story was great, loved it. I wathced 19 Series in Summer Season and love Charlotte too.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Geez, I didn't watch a lot this summer due to work, and I saw Charlotte. If its #3 then either people are bad at this or I didn't miss much.
bibotot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My Big Fat Love Story? I personally prefer Mary Sue with Red Hair, which I think is one of the best shoujo anime I have ever watched.

My favorite anime of the season is School-Live!. I love High School of the Dead, except the excessive fan service, and I love this one even more. School-Live! have quality in almost every respect, from characters, horror aspect, psychological, pacing, animation to soundtrack.

Charlotte is OK. In a rather lackluster season, don't complain why it is so high. Sure, the plot might be shit, but animation and sound are top-notch.

I like Prison School. The plot and characters are very interesting. I just wish the fan service were not so poorly executed. It bores me to death seeing Meiko ass and boobs all the time.

Gate and Overlord are roughly the same to me, but I still personally prefer Gate because of the cute fantasy girls and overall better animation.

Gangsta ending is a mess. Number 15 serves it right.

Not too happy about Rokka. The ending is very lackluster and basically impels you to read the LN. Seriously, if we stop doing that and stop watching anime that does nothing more than to advertise for a much superior work, the industry will have to change for the better.[/b]
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I might have liked Ranpo Kitan more had the characters all been adults as in Nijuu Mensou no Musume where Akechi and Nijuu Mensou appear to be in their thirties. Having them be adolescents just didn't do it for me. Going into the season I was looking forward to seeing more stories from Edogawa Ranpo, but once I started watching Ranpo Kitan I dropped it after a few episodes. I didn't like how it targeted the fujoshi audience either. Is that who the producers at noitaminA now think watch shows in that time slot?

It wasn't so much fujoshi fanservice as 'queerbaiting that goes literally nowhere', but what ruined it for me (besides the weird sexism and awful writing) was the character whose sole purpose was to pander to people with dominatrix piss fetishes. It was honestly just bizarre having that in the same show as something that seemed desperately trying to hook female viewers at the same time. It also had this really bad clash between 'trying to be deep/serious' and 'wacky anime BS' that seemed like it was trying to do what DanganRonpa managed to pull off (in the games at least) but failed. I still have no earthly clue who the hell the show was actually aimed at because it certainly wasnt anyone who is a fan of Edogawa Ranpo.
I'd personally put it on my list of 'most disappointing shows of 2015', but I do admit some of the art direction and music were incredible. I'm just mad that it somehow made me watch every stupid episode only to reward me with a giant Nothing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
How can anyone claim that ANN readers only care about fanservice when My Love Story!!, one of the least fanservicey late night anime of any season, ranked #1? I personally think it was one of the best anime of the year so far, so ANN reader's have excellent taste in my eyes! Very Happy

SHIMONETA was a fansrvice filled sex comedy, but I'd argue that its heart was more in comedy than titillation. In any case, it had enough buzz amoungst ANN readers to garner eposodic reviews mid-season. Another anime I enjoyed, Seiyuu's Life, didn't even get that much, while Ranpo Kitan did have reviews...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Not really pleased with these results, although I did like Ore Monogatari a lot, I definitely think Durarara was at the top of its game this season, it should've ranked higher. I also continue to be baffled by how much people disliked Arslan Senki. It had shitty production values for sure, but I think the overall story was very well-developed in terms of the political struggles and the different characters' beliefs clashing against each other

About Ranpo Kitan, I dropped it after the third episode because the mysteries's solutions were pretty boring and the main character was annoying and not really interesting; his "craziness" felt really try-hard.
LiteKnite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Prison School is a show that preys upon the debauchery of our souls. After the 2nd episode I had to read manga, never getting enough of it.

I don't get the hate on Charlotte, but seeing the protagonist Yu go from an immature brat to an altruistic savior was great to see.

On the other hand, Ranpo Kitan's characters tried to do the same thing, but they act so full of themselves it was annoying to hear every word they said.

Arslan was all right, but what killed it for me was comparing the action to Kingdom's fights. Also when the horse jumped straight onto the elephant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3