• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BBK/BRNK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5:
That cliffhanger ....I wonder how many people saw it coming?

At least there was a minimal amount of set up for there spoiler[to be a betrayal in the first place]

The issue is that the show feels slow and fast at the same time, it is slow in the nature that much more world building could be presented in the past few "duel" episodes, and it is fast in the nature that the show pretty much yelled out that "hey we are going to have consecutive duels right now", in practice it is a tournament arc of a sports anime without even presenting what eccentric powers the competitors have.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
That cliffhanger ....I wonder how many people saw it coming?

I certainly didn't, unless I missed some clues in the previous episodes.

Who it was, I didn't see coming, but I knew that it was coming. Considering that it's exactly how the last two episodes ended, and I'm certain that it'll be how the next episode ends as well...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think "Shizuru" would be that powerful.

Eh, the fights felt kinda awkward especially with that ending. They are really giving the other main characters a lot more spotlight than I had expected. Hiiragi's fighting tactics are a bit cheesy though imo although surprisingly effective. Tons of action this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Shizuru was awesome to watch fight. I think that there was some really good fight choreography in going on that sold the eccentric fighting style.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Plot feels like it's all over the place still while there's plenty of actoin going around. I guess the kids are bitter about the betrayal. The redhead is also back and she made her point pretty clear.

I wonder what exactly lies at the Treasure Island though?

Pretty sure at this rate, Azuma will be playing a prominent role soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I am not entirely sure why, but this episode kind of made me think of Kill la Kill, which I think has something to do that I kind of like Reoko here. Her full on rampage was awesome in how it put across that she is fighting against the pain, and going at it like a maniac, and it was kind of awesome. You thought of her team was unhinged, well she takes the cake. Reoko had been staring in the ED also, it just feels like at this time it really paid off.

Also, looks like it is probably Azuma's sister at the end of the episode, we will find out what is happening with her soon. Win or lose, it feels like the story is moving forward.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Epizo is really hard to take seriously as a leader of the new enemies lol

Shizuru in action again. Those twin Russian Buranki really made this episode more crazier than it should be as well. I think Hiiragi is also pushing himself way more than he should be in the fight. I don't expect him to die though.

And I wonder what the hell is happening to Azuma? Is he going to regain the strength to fight again?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep8
Animation quality drop, it makes sense as this is definitely not the same "dueling arc" as it were.
I can only assume the budget for animation is being saved for what few actions scenes will be set up for later, that said introducing international rivals is a fair play yet it is very annoying as from the audience perspective they brought these mugs from out of no where narratively (a complaint I tossed out for Heavy Object's latest arc).

It makes sense to add more antagonistic rivals as Reiko's crew is at the very least winded as far as there powers are concerned, most certainly Reiko who was just shy of death's door thanks to her previous battle.

The only thing as a viewer I can now anticipate is the eventual formal return of Azuma's sister and whatever crew follows her.

The other thing to toss out is that I am now of the mind that Reiko's crew more than likely threw there duels to make sure the Azuma company would be ready for the oncoming international squads.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Animation quality drop, it makes sense as this is definitely not the same "dueling arc" as it were.

I am not sure, I don't think the animation has dropped rather it and the style have completely changed. There has been something that has been worked in several series with full CG into using CG to mimic more conventional 2D animation, and that was done very differently in this episode to previous episodes. CG models may have moved less in this episode, but the amount of energy the models tried to project were humongous, way more than it did earlier. I can recall some also used in Arpeggio, especially some scenes with Haruna.

I would suppose most people here are familiar to anime parody? That is not an anime that is a parody, it is an animation that copying parts or kind of doing friendly jabs at anime. Almost certainly these animation love to put over the top energy into there characters, and most usually they are an American piece of work, and it makes me think that it is no coincidence that it happened in the episode such characters were introduced. Actually, not quite a parody, look at RWBY, the American animated series that uses CG models in more smooth style, or in more humorous scenes acts anime like where CG models are made to imitate common anime styles. Specifically I want to look at how we see Kinoa in this episode has only her head in frame at one point and also her hand appears from the other side, I might be mistaken but this specifically makes me think of RWBY. Or another scene where the twins start going on about their "brother". Maybe I just have it on my mind because I heard that RWBY is doing surprisingly well in Japan.

I have spent so much time talking about the style change that I have not yet talked about my feelings for the episode. I loved this, one of if not my favourite episode yet, several times making me say how much I was loving it. Especially Epizo, that guy is weird, he so does not fit in with this show, but that is what made him so damn fun. I loved the part where he went "Amazing" parodying Spiderman poster, "Incredible" as he parodied the Hulk poster, and "Fantastic" as he did the Fantastic 4. And to say nothing of his line that his pompadour protected him after falling, it was brilliant. I perhaps could disliked him for things, but he was really kind of charming that he pretty much has his presence just take over the rest of the show. And actually I don't think it was him either, a lot of the new characters seemed to exert their own style all over the show. Going back to something I said last week, it is kind of like Kill la Kill where at any one time it is the characters involved dictate the mood at any one time and will warp the animation around that.

Now just to jump back to animation. "Animation" means to breathe life into, in general we come to understand it as making pictures move enough to create an illusion of life, but animation goes beyond just doing a realistic recreation of the story being told. Animation has a fluidity that allows it to use unrealistic styles to really sell the mood of a story. It is kind of a raised problem with things like in terms of video games making characters look realistic, you uncanny valley and animation that won't hold up for long. But it is when something stylises itself that you can get something that can create something that may last. It is not style over substance, it is using style as an actual tool.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Happiest day of Azuma's life? Oh boy...this could quickly get ugly if they lose their upcoming battle.

Again, this show seems to really enjoy playing around with those two weird twin girls. Wonder if their bro will make a move himself soon against the good guys. I really hope the upcoming battle is worth watching, the latest episodes have been feeling stale.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
I have no idea if Epizo was being lectured by his boss or not, but I am going to guess it is a heart thing. The flashback of Epizo was vague although Azuma seemed to understand it, so I will throw in the guess that there is nothing actually wrong with the heart, Epizo has just never been openly able to open it. Actually, that will be my guess, to use the heart they have to open their's, and it was because Azuma was starting to close it off by taking on everything that Azuma was having trouble, he was able to activate it when he did open it. Epizo may have closed his off since his mother died, and their boss who also comes from a line of hearts recognised that Epizo was making some improvements.

Shizuru is quite fun to watch. Definitely an interesting ace for the group.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Not bad, for most parts I enjoyed the fighting and action this episode. The kids especially Azuma really improved their skills as well. I can't say I'm too surprised by the return of Azuma's mom though. But really, I find it a bit underwhelming and I think she should explain more to Azuma about what she's been doing while away.

More action coming next. By this pacing, there's no way the show will wrap up in just two episodes so expecting a split-cour.

Oh almost forgot but I think Hiiragi is starting to get along better with his teammates, even Azuma.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Not bad, for most parts I enjoyed the fighting and action this episode. The kids especially Azuma really improved their skills as well. I can't say I'm too surprised by the return of Azuma's mom though. But really, I find it a bit underwhelming and I think she should explain more to Azuma about what she's been doing while away.

I feel that this must be part of the point, she has put them in a comforting situation but avoided answering any questions of significance, which makes me feel uneasy.

Stark700 wrote:
More action coming next. By this pacing, there's no way the show will wrap up in just two episodes so expecting a split-cour.

I am pretty sure this had been confirmed for a while now. I have seen comments of the opinion that the introduction of the other teams was something they would only include once they were able to have a split cour show. Which I think is great as recent arcs started to set something of interest up that I want to see play out more. We have to find out what the deal with the sister is.

Stark700 wrote:
Oh almost forgot but I think Hiiragi is starting to get along better with his teammates, even Azuma.

Looks like he has a crush on Kinoa.

Shizuru's bed hair was pretty funny. As were some comments about weight, or her age, she looks good at apparently being 40. Also, the show is really setting something up with Reoko, her health has been an theme running recently. Why did Souya give Epizo a heart who was reluctant to attack a sleeping one.

I did kind of enjoy the Russian side this episode, specifically that the brother is now easily hateable and bad guy, that the sisters are in an interesting place, and the other two are not bad and have their reasons for their situation. Really I am starting to like characters in general. There is the connection I have had recently that this show shares its an Art Director with Kill la Kill, Yuuji Kaneko, and I think there are some similarities between these projects. One thing is that I was a big fan of how Harime Nui was as a villain, using art to really up a hammy villain, and I kind of feel similar here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Lol, the two former allies, Shuusaku and Souya clash..funny. I kinda find the fight itself to be like an old fashioned bar fight with a good amount of energy except for the end.

Too bad about the Russian twin girls. I think their "dear bro" decided to harm one of them, which doesn't surprise me at all. Anyways, expecting the final battle next time to be against that redhead. From rumors I've heard, this is a split cour so we may see more....

Also, Azuma might go on a fiery path himself with what happened to his mother. Might be quite intense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

This was great, we finally had some real context given, I think that in some ways it really is a reverse of what you might think. The real person that was accused of being a witch was Reoko, cursed into having an immortal immature body, and the only one who could still use her giant robot (heart), explained that she is the actual heart. For some reason his mother did something that had reaching consequences of creating power vacuums and Reoko the only one who could fight the monsters that made it off the island. Really it practically seems fair that Reoko would deflect it all onto his mother, and at the same time they really had to try and keep stability, if the other groups of people with Buranki came after her there might be no one to fight the real threat. And through all of this the toll of everything is not without consequence of Reoko's mind, and this forces her team to play hard with the hope of at least doing something for her.

Not sure if I got it all correct, but it is what I took from the episode and added a whole lot of depth. We had more from other characters too, and this was with the split with the Russain team, that some finally took a stand against Onii-sama being a power tripping nut job. I found it interesting that the split came down through the twins where they seem almost identical that one could not go through with it.

Looking for a common theme, I think that it is along the lines of people trying to take all of a matter onto themselves instead of relying or trusting in a team. Trying not to inconvenience others, but that such actions can still cause a lot of trouble for others. The show is all about teamwork, leadership, and the different forms of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6