• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Compared to the OP list, I seem to agree with a bigger percentage of JO's ED list. Then again I don't pay a lot of attention to EDs unless they really catch my attention the first time around

1. BBB - "Sugar Song to Bitter Step" This was, hands down, my favorite anisong of the year. The animation is super fun and energetic, the colors, the music, everything was just so so so great. I've listened to it about a billion times already.

The next are in no particular order

Assassination Classroom - "Hello, shooting star" This one actually grew on me over time, although I wasn't that into it at first, by the time the second cour rolled around and they didn't change it I was really happy. The full version is beautiful too, I particularly love the last verse when it says "let's meet on a night when the moon is beautiful".

Haikyuu S2 - "Climber". I agree with JO on this one, the emotion the vocalist puts into the "setsuna" at the end or that high emotional moment when Ushiwaka is highlighted are very beautiful. The same for the opening scenes that recall Hinata and Kageyama's frustration after their loss to Seijo. And they all look so cute in the running part. Also Oikawa's deranged face is great.

Arslan Senki - "Lapizlazuli". I first fell in love with Eir Aoi when she sang Memoria for Fate/Zero, but I hadn't been liking any of ther work after that until this one came in. This really exploits the power of her voice, and the art for that ending sequence is absolutely stunning.

JJBA - "Last Train Home". This is another one that grew on me. Like many, I missed Walk like an Egyptian dearly, but I eventually came to love the melancholy of the melody, the fabulous poses everyone's striking in the first scene, and the feelings that the title evoked. I wouldn't have complained if they kept Walk like and Egyptian, but I at least am glad that its replacement was really great too.

Lupin III Part 4 - "Chanto Iwanakya Ai Sainai" It's a shame this show hasn't gotten that much attention, hopefully now that CR picked it up, that will be compensated, because both OP and ED are fantastic (and so is the series). It's an unusual song, but I adore the period piece feel of it, the singing lady is absolutely gorgeous and the scenes where you can see her singing are magical, especially when she pulls the raspiest parts of the song.

Noragami Aragoto - "Nirvana" Well, the fact that my icon was taken from this ED should tell you how much I loved it. I love Tia's voice in it, the visuals and how it depicted Yato's journey from being alone to his finding Hiyori and Yukine and how they formed a little loving family of sorts.

The Perfect Insider
- "Nana Hitsuji" I still can't get over how bad and utterly dull this show was, especially compared to how cool and energetic its OP and ED were. The visuals for the ED reminded me of that of Tatami Galaxy, and I really liked the combinations of the male and female voices, they sounded great. I think with a different pair of OP and EDs I would've dropped the series a lot sooner than I actually did

Owari no Seraph -"Orarion" I actually did like the second ending more than I did the first one. The visuals are a little bland, but the composition and Nagi Yanagi's voice really worked for me. I like the mysthical feeling of the first chants, and the chorus is very intense.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A - "Kisetsu wa Tsugitsugi Shindeiku" Like JO said, the lyrics in this one are so powerful. The constant change in the artwork to mirror what had been revealed about the characters in the corresponding episode was amazing, and that particular line about "breaking up with my past self" always sends chills down my spine

I also want to make a shoutout to Dance with Devils, it was a terrible song but it looked really cool in a hilarious way and I loved seeing the guys dressed as tarot cards. Also, the little dancing thingies at the bottom were so ridiculous I couldn't take my eyes off them
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
I can't get the video to work.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
No love for Osomatsu-san's ED?
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Sporkaganza wrote:
Judging by her lists, Hope seems to be more of a serious rock fan than anything... which would be fine, if the direction "serious" rock music has taken in the past generation or so didn't bore me to tears. Seriously, the songs all sound so similar and most of the energy is gone... only the rock songs Hope backhandedly compliments (or maybe damns with faint praise) as goofy or over-the-top in the OP and ED list do anything for me.

Not at all, actually. My genre of choice is usually diva pop, dance pop, pop rock, pop in general. That said, I prefer real (or real-sounding) instruments mixed with care in my rock music, which is something that the more overtly synthetic staples of j-rock don't always do (and most successful modern "hard rock" bands in America tbh, we don't really have popular hard rock anymore right now). But I like EDM and electronica a lot, provided it's well-made with interesting hooks and variations and levels of sound, not just generic flat noise.

Fair enough, you just seem to list a lot of those types of songs in OP and ED lists. Maybe just because it's kind of a break from the norm of anime songs, which do tend to be extremely pop-oriented? I noticed a lot of it in this video, but then again EDs are also in general supposed to be less energetic.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I really disliked that ending, especially the part where Iyami sings, it just sounded really... dumb, for lack of a better word, and I've never liked OP/EDs featuring real food
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
I guess no one here's likes Ali Project like I do, because I looped Chivalry's ED, "Haramitsu Renge" almost as much as I did the OP. Ali Project has this style I just haven't heard anywhere else yet. It sits in this uncanny valley between ominous and beautiful. Just when you start to feel a sense of dread you end up captivated by it. I felt the same thing with Code Geass' first ED. It's almost surreal in its allure.

Aside from that there's also Shokugeki no Soma's ED "Sacchan no Sexy Curry", which was a delightful surprise. Both the visuals and the music are just awesome and funny at the same time.

Also shocked KanColle was completely forgotten since both the OP and ED are definitely among the best I've heard all year. I suppose airing at the very beginning of 2015 means it's a bit harder to remember come 2016, but it's definitely a 2015 show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Unlike the OP list, I don't think there's a single item on Jesu's list that I'd put in mine.

I thought "Tutti" from Hibike Euphonium was a fantastic little number.

I'd rank "Plug in! To Your Ears" from Seiyuu's Life high as well. There's like 11 or 12 different versions of the song each with the characters'
banter being replaced by something that occurred in the episode itself and a new "request" as if this were a web radio show. Very cute use of the chibi-version of characters on popsicle sticks as well.

Also I'd have "border" from Tsukimonogatari. Cute songs made even cuter by childish sketches of a youthful imagination.

And awhile "Ring Your Bell" from UBW S2 may make people groan because it's yet another Kalafina song that sounds exactly like their others, I love the little touches that ufotable put in the ending, particularly the very end where Shirou and Rin are together with the gears and swords of Unlimited Blade Works in the backdrop that looks no longer menacing, but actually bright and hopeful. Though I'll admit that I don't mind hearing the group's lovely vocals in harmony over and over, so that helps too.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Saekano's Colorful (I can't find any video that isn't a remix or a fandub on this) is just plain joy to listen and hum to.

Aniplex seems to be intent on making sure you can't watch their OPs or EDs on Youtube. One way to link them (in the countries where it's available) is directly to the Crunchyroll stream, like so.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:

I voted for it. =) The song cracks me up. The full versions are even funnier. I love the dialogue in it.

At OrePara this year, Suzumura sang a bit in Iyami's voice during the opening rap. You can imagine the cheers from the crowd. They all did the "sheeh" pose too. During the last song, Morikubo called on all the people who can do the sheeh pose to sing (there's a call and response part in the song) and for OnoD's part, he sang in Juushimatsu's voice. XDDD Soooooooo cute!!

I really really liked the endings for Ore Monogatari!! and Haikyuu!!. Orphans no Namida is really good too. MISIA sang it during Kouhaku the other day.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I guess no one here's likes Ali Project like I do
Also shocked KanColle was completely forgotten since both the OP and ED are definitely among the best I've heard all year.

Well, it does take a while to appreciate Ali Project - the Animelo Summer Live 2013 performance of Celestial Diva with Arika dueting with Minori Chihara was however worth the price of the concert ticket.

Also great to hear the Kancolle OP and ED at Animelo Summer Live 2015. Akino did really well there.

Last edited by omiya on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
2 EDs that I would've added are: Subete Ga F Ni Naru's & Charlotte's.
I know visually they weren't really standouts, but the songs themselves I thought were right up there with the best this year, particularly the harmonizing work done by ScenarioArt in The Perfect Insider's ED.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I guess no one here's likes Ali Project like I do, because I looped Chivalry's ED, "Haramitsu Renge" almost as much as I did the OP. Ali Project has this style I just haven't heard anywhere else yet. It sits in this uncanny valley between ominous and beautiful. Just when you start to feel a sense of dread you end up captivated by it. I felt the same thing with Code Geass' first ED. It's almost surreal in its allure.

Sadly, the ending was too visually similar to the Rozen Maiden openings and the Monster Princess ending without the music being as good. So I'd say it's a good ending, just not good as an Ali Project work could be.

10 That one. That was convenient.

9 Sky Wizards because it's simple images set to calming music. Not at all daring or exciting but that should be the job of the opener. Also, I feel kind of sorry for the series so I felt like mentioning it.

8 Working season 3. Unlike the opening which tries to be "Someone (wan wan!)" and fails, the ending doesn't have to try as hard and oddly accomplishes more.

7 Shimoneta.... watch it and weep. Best thing about the show.

6 Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon? Bright, cheerful and vaguely reminiscent of Spice and Wolf... yeah, they just randomly thought "this series screams apple tree ending, doesn't it?". It's cute, that's about it. But it's enough.

5 Gate. Three words: "Tricked out hummer." Always got me to... oh, shiny object!

4 Seiyu's Life The karaoke jukebox stint may be a trick to get you to watch the ending but it works. The rest of it is fine too even if it's the least visually inventive pick on my list.

3 Rolling Girls I like endings that work as a roadmap to the series with nice visuals... and that's about it for this one. It's not surprising the first ending of this series used the regular opening song as that and all the insert songs are better than this one. Still, nice visuals.

2 Monster Musume "Hey Smith". Sure it's a character sung ending but it's also a Yuu Kobayashi effort... and I do mean "effort". It's not a very good ending to the show which is why it's my number 2 but it'd be a great opener to a MON squad spinoff. Hint, hint. You know you want it...

1 Food Wars "Spice". You know it's a good work when they use parts of the song past 1:30 mark and still have a good fit. Or they can play the entire work, creating a different feel from beginning to end. I really liked the ending by itself but... that episode, the first time played the entire piece, they muted the first half and had the main two characters hum it, well, one badly hummed it while the other one harmonized along with it. Each were doing their own separate parts and meet in the middle of the song... cue real ending but with the new part of the song, meaning "everything has changed now". Fantastic. Then the next episode goes back to the regular part of the song because "WSJ status quo means no changes until the ending or plummeting poll results".
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
I tend to skip ending themes pretty often because I'm more interested in getting to the rest of the story unless I'm fully caught up on a series, but there were 2 ending themes that I never skipped once this year because of how melancholic they made me feel and how well they conveyed how I felt after watching each episode, unfortunately neither seem to be all that popular with everyone else.

The first is: Everyday World from Snafu TOO!
There are like 3 versions of this, but they are all just beautiful. I prefer the slightly poppier version with the back beat, but all really hit the spot for me. It also helped that every episode of the show pretty much blew me away, so just basking in this song was a good way to bring myself back to reality.

The second is: Candy Magic from Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
The vocals in this song are so perfect. Not sure why I love them so much, but Mimi Meme Mimi's vocals work for me on every level. There's a little strain to them when she goes for the higher notes, which is really cute. And overall the song just makes me happy. The keyboard/Piano is also my favorite instrument, so any song that pairs adorable vocals, a nice poppy feel and extensive piano use is golden in my book.
Gulpin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
It's a real pity Shokugeki no Souma's Sore ga Spice didn't make the list.

:c
Kekkai Sensen's ED was the only contestant for the no. 1 spot though.
Junyor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, am I the only one who liked Waiting for the Rain by Maaya Sakamoto (full song, not the ED) from The Asterisk War?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4