• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lupin the Third (TV 2015)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 21 is easily my favourite Blue Jacket episode so far. It was tons of fun, but in addition to great action and comedy I loved how it gave Fujiko time in the spotlight. The ending was one of the most genuine moments between Lupin and Fujiko I can recall in the entire franchise. I also liked the short scene with Fujiko and Jigen because it's pretty rare for those two characters to interact without anyone else there.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ep 22 review wrote:
Zenigata is at least familiar with Lupin and his friends' tricks by now

One of the things I like about this series is how Zenigata is not played just as a buffoon and fool. Lesser authors would do that. For sure he takes a lot of pratfalls but he is still a respectable antagonist and you get some sense that Lupin respects him at some level. A worthy opponent.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The Crunchyroll translation, especially for the earlier episodes, is a bit off. It seems to clearly be a case where someone was presented with a written script and translated it without anyone checking against the audio.

This generally results in problems like the wrong pronoun being used, but the worst is in episodes 11 and 12 where there's a character whose name is consistently said as "Kou" but the subtitles have it as Wataru. The person's name in the credits is 航, which can indeed be read as either コウ (on'yomi) or わたる (kun'yomi), and the translator just had to guess.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
The Crunchyroll translation, especially for the earlier episodes, is a bit off. It seems to clearly be a case where someone was presented with a written script and translated it without anyone checking against the audio.

This generally results in problems like the wrong pronoun being used, but the worst is in episodes 11 and 12 where there's a character whose name is consistently said as "Kou" but the subtitles have it as Wataru. The person's name in the credits is 航, which can indeed be read as either コウ (on'yomi) or わたる (kun'yomi), and the translator just had to guess.

Well, Discotek will probably fix this for the disc release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Another week, another 'A' rating. Lupin III can do no wrong ATM.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Lupin III can do no wrong.

Not the same without Zenigata though. Not that I'd complain about looking at Rebecca all day. For Christmas I want her and Fujiko and chocolate syrup.

I'll have to say that the cops that did show up were the most ineffectual crowd of clowns I've seen in a long time. The vault doors open, Lupin and Rebecca just trot out with no resistance whatever. In spite of her flashy outfit Rebecca is able to hide her identity with a lousy bank note. They get away on foot.

And why do they have to have contest for cleaning duty anyway? Cleaning services aren't that expensive and they have all the money they want.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
John Thacker wrote:

Well, Discotek will probably fix this for the disc release.

I hope so. I also hope that they fix all the wrong pronouns, which need to be checked by watching the episode (not just listening, as I first said.) There's a lot of "That car is great" which should be "This car is great," etc.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm only 4 episodes in but I'm a little disappointed. The show is a little clumsy. A bit too much of the gang making their own problems. Then we have the proper introduction of the MI6/Bond character... and he's just a mess. murderous or overconfident? Roguish or a slave to orders? And why exactly should a British agent cross borders to protect a French artifact held by Italy? There's the influence of the Prince but the most he wants to do is maybe look at it, not that he cares much...
Maybe that comes up later, but I'm behind and felt like expressing my slight disappointment. I'll probably continue on anyway. I'm no superfan, but I've watched my share of previous incarnations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty ambivalent towards the Italian Dream storyline morphing into "clone of Leonardo da Vinci is now the antagonist" plot in the back half of the series, but I do like that Lupin has a challenge that emphasizes a battle of wits over anything else. Yeah, Goemon and Jigen do the physicality thing in their bouts with da Vinci, but Lupin proves his meddle with his brains, his powers of observation. I just wish they gave Nix a bit more to do in this finale, because he's clearly the best new character. The show's been great, though, especially the past few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Episode 23 has some QC issues, Lupin's opening line and the episode title are not subbed, MI:6 is referred to as "6 took that research and used it," @ 8:41. And to top it off the episode title is listed as World Dissection part 2 when that's the title of the next episode. Episode 23 should be part 1.

Really hope Discotek does a pass on the subs and cleans them up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
Guns were just making their way into European culture during Da Vinci's lifetime, so it's difficult to believe that Da Vinci could go one-on-one with sharpshooter Jigen. With Fujiko's contest, a game of poker, that's an even bigger stretch, as the game wasn't invented for centuries after his death. Even so, the duels make for some tense moments.

Believe it or not but the electrical, electromagnetic (radio), and computer technology Leonardo uses also wasn't invented to just a little bit after his death. So I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the above.

Also, I thought LDV nixed Nix's auditory superpower a while ago so why would Nix think to use it in his contest?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Also, I thought LDV nixed Nix's auditory superpower a while ago so why would Nix think to use it in his contest?

He might've nixed it Embarassed in the real world but with it being a dream he'd not necessarily be shackled by real world limitations.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
^I still don't think he affected his hearing, just his balance. He made it sound temporary.

I would probably have enjoyed this episode a whole lot more if I hadn't just come off of more than 6 months of Shippuden's Infinite Tsukuyomi. At least this dream will only last one more episode.

I did appreciate that Fujiko cheated in her dream.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the series' finale (episodes 23-24) was not that strong, but I am cool with it.

To me this Lupin show is easily the best Lupin anime I have ever watched. The visuals were fantastic and most of the episodes were a blast to watch. I rate it Very good (A-).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Even if this season finale wasn't very strong still a better finale than either the second or third series. Would've been nice though if they hadn't plucked out those two episodes though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4