• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Should FUNimation Be On NASDAQ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not complaining about Mighty No. 9. I'll forgive Inafune for being far behind schedule because I know that as his firstproject by himself, unexpected setbacks will happen.

The problem, as you said, is that not everybody will forgive him, or other people running crowdfunding project, for stating something will be available at some certain date. I suppose technically, they're not promises, but they're treated as such. And unlike a normal game, a crowdfunded game has people's money (even if each individual has just a tiny amount overall), so backers will often behave less patiently and be more demanding than normal.

Didn't Time of Eve get subject to the backer equivalent of executive meddling? That is, the production committee anime producers have to answer to was replaced by the backers collectively. Or did I hear it wrong?

In any case, I don't think any of the anime localizaton companies presently need to go public. It's a whole mess of other worries, and they risk having someone with more money than sense (or a lot of money and alot of misguided passion) buying a significant share of the company and using it to steer the company the way they want to. I'd say this goes for any media company that produces something with many crazy fans for this reason, unless said company is already really big and limits public control. That guy who had been hoarding all those Rosalina amiibo because he hates her may be wealthy (that's the impression I get, at least), but he's not going to be able to buy enough shares of Nintendo to block any further Rosalina appearances in future games.

I don't know if anyone is crazy enough and rich enough to buy a controlling share of FUNimation solely to ruin it though. That was the worst-case scenario I could think of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3