• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kodansha's Sam Yoshiba Supports Scarlett Johansson Casting Choice for Live-Action GitS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
It's pretty easy for the Japanese to make comments supporting this casting choice when they largely don't care about, nor do they even have the capacity to accommodate, ethnic diversity and representation in their casting, nor can we assume most of them have an educated grasp on the sociopolitical complications and controversy that is involved in casting and representation in our media.

Yes, only American's are smart enough to appreciate all the nuances of this subject.
Really......You actually used the word 'educated' to imply that most Japanese are lacking in critical thinking or of even having the capacity of deep thought.

What is really amazing is that despite being so forward thinking on this subject, you so quite easily degenerate another culture and society as if they were incapable of having thoughts of merit.

This isn't about Americans being smarter than the Japanese, and I never meant to imply that it was.

Japan is *notoriously* ethnocentric. It's not about a lack of critical thinking, it's about their personal knowledge and invested interest in a very specific part our culture. I.E. the struggles within it over representation in media. Which, by and large, doesn't seem to be in excess when it comes to the average Japanese citizen, who lives in a country 98.5% made up of native Japanese citizens.

I'm not commenting on them as a whole, but random Japanese "netizens" don't exactly scream out as particularly vital commentary on the subject when we've got scores and scores of Americans who struggle with the subject.

Last edited by KaiserNeko on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
It will probably flop but I really couldn't give a damn. She looks the role, all that matters is execution.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

And here's my two cents. Something that I can't believe has been avoided throughout the discussions - Motoko is a freaking CYBORG! As a robot it doesn't matter what race the person is - Japanese, American, even Eddie Redmayne! (I made a Danish Girl joke. Shoot me). Yes there are quite a few Japanese people in California, but does it really matter? It's not like the film isn't set in Japan! And it's not like the story is off! AND it's not like Ghost in the Shell is almost destined to be in animated form; people always comment on its realism, and I'm pretty sure that means it can be live-action without it looking like a 70s Spider-Man cartoon. Besides, if Rinko Kikuchi was cast, I'd probably start confusing her more and more with a certain Bleach character.

And to be perfectly frank, I was actually fine with the casting of a white actor as Goku, particularly an unknown, because like Motoko Goku isn't even human - he's a Saiyan, which I'm pretty sure doesn't have any Japanese in them. The real problem is that DBZ was always meant to be animated and in a long-running story format. There was no way to translate it into reality without it looking stupid, and thus everything came crashing down. Ghost in the Shell, meanwhile, is so realistic it looks like it was made last year, and there are so many continuities it's easy to make a new story while retaining the concept, which they seem to have done.

Right now I'm only worried about the director. Both the screenwriters are accomplished despite having written few films, and one is even an Oscar nominee. But the director's only other credit is Snow White and the Huntsman, which is a real guilty pleasure.

For other anime films, I like to point to the Astro Boy movie as a good example. It was a rather decent movie at least, and the animated format did a rather good job of copying Tezuka-san's format. I personally think we need more animated productions like that, the tragic thing being that Hollywood refuses to make animated movies that are PG-13 or higher unless you're DTV or The Simpsons.

Last edited by Gemnist on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
but random Japanese "netizens" don't exactly scream out as particularly vital commentary on the subject when we've got scores and scores of Americans who struggle with the subject.

I wouldn't exactly classify Kodansha's Sam Yoshiba as a random netizen.

I understand what you are trying to say, but you shouldn't keep parsing your clarifications with classifications of the Japanese populace. But that is all I will say on the matter.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
but random Japanese "netizens" don't exactly scream out as particularly vital commentary on the subject when we've got scores and scores of Americans who struggle with the subject.

I understand what you are trying to say, but you shouldn't keep parsing your clarifications with classifications of the Japanese populace. But that is all I will say on the matter.

He wasn't referring to Sam Yoshiba; he was referring to the actual Japanese netizens explicitly mentioned in the article.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

I'm not touching much on Sam Yoshiba because by and large, I find that while he is a point of authority on Ghost in the Shell, his personal opinions on the matter are only partially relevant and not necessarily the deciding factor on whether or not the cast decision was good for either the film or the subject matter at hand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

I'm not touching much on Sam Yoshiba because by and large, I find that while he is a point of authority on Ghost in the Shell, his personal opinions on the matter are only partially relevant and not necessarily the deciding factor on whether or not the cast decision was good for either the film or the subject matter at hand.

In other words, you really don't care what anyone else thinks on this subject except for the people that explicitly agree with your point of view. Got it.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
It will probably flop but I really couldn't give a damn. She looks the role, all that matters is execution.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It has less of a chance of flopping with big name Scarlett Johansson (she is a ticket seller star). I honestly care more about a project having a actress that could play the part,instead of being cast by their race. It's an adaptation at the end of the day,so you should take some liberties with the material.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

In other words, you really don't care what anyone else thinks on this subject except for the people that explicitly agree with your point of view. Got it.

Not considering him "the deciding factor" and only "partially relevant" means I don't care about his perspective at all? I think it's a valid point of view as someone who has a point of authority on the issue via nationality, ethnicity, and his job, but it doesn't ultimately change my mind on the casting being inappropriate because it's only one perspective, and it doesn't outweigh the issues I have with the casting choice and how it reflects upon Hollywood and U.S. media in general. Especially when you consider how little even had to say about it.

Him being okay with it just because it means we get an American Ghost in the Shell and because he thinks that Scarlett Johansson "has the cyberpunk feel" doesn't automatically make the casting okay to me, sorry.

Last edited by KaiserNeko on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nitsugalego wrote:
Then you should also be offended by the "japanese-washing" of the recent Attack on Titan adaptation. All of the characters (except Mikasa) are of White Germanic descent, yet all the actors were Japanese in the film.
There's a difference there. That's the Japanese adapting a Japanese product. Here is an adaption of a foreign product.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Screenwriter Max Landis made it worse by making a Youtube video "explaining" (he claims he's not defending) the decision to hire Johansson as pretty much entirely financial, claiming that there were no A-list female Asian actors capable of getting the film greenlit (warning: the article contains NSFW profanity)

So for people arguing that the casting may have been about finding the best actress for the role, nope. It was about getting someone famous enough to get the Hollywood execs to pay for it.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
I laugh if the movie starts off with the Major being played by an asian actress. The story then progresses where she has to go undercover in Amercia due to the latest terrorist plot so she swaps bodies as a result. This would segway nicely to how she does behave in the source material and would reduce the whole "white-washing" debate.

If you do decide to nick my idea Paramount, can I have a credit in your movie? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Screenwriter Max Landis made it worse by making a Youtube video "explaining" (he claims he's not defending) the decision to hire Johansson as pretty much entirely financial, claiming that there were no A-list female Asian actors capable of getting the film greenlit (warning: the article contains NSFW profanity)

So for people arguing that the casting may have been about finding the best actress for the role, nope. It was about getting someone famous enough to get the Hollywood execs to pay for it.

So, how do you think this normally happens? Out of the goodness of their heart?

Newsbreak : they're in it for the money. Always.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
I think if you look at the situation from the perspective of an investor putting money into this film, the casting for Scarlett Johannson makes sense. To do the movie justice visually and action-wise probably requires a decent budget, so you'd want to choose someone with the star power to draw in the crowds and make a good return on investment. Scarlett Johannson not only fits the age and visual look of the major, but also has a lot of action-oriented experience and is one of the top celebrity talents in Hollywood right now. There aren't many Asian actresses with nearly the same public presence, so Scarlett's casting choice makes sense for getting the film attention in the mainstream. From what I understand too, Asians only make up about 5% of the US population (?), so it seems a bit more understandable that their casting would be much less than the larger demographics in the country (as was the case with the Attack on Titan live-action movies in Japan).

And I agree with the Japanese anon sentiment that the most important thing about GiTS is the theme, which in the original movie revolved around artificial intelligence, the singularity and emerging network consciousness. The setting anyways takes place in a future timeline where the world's political structures are totally different, and I don't think nationality was really a core theme of the work in general.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
Well I am still interested in seeing this movie despite all of the controversy Hell I'll go see it for nothing more then to piss off all of the PC Hatters out there. Razz
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Its pretty funny how everyone act like they give a damn. Which most don't because most 90% talking about this film aren't aware or not even fan of GITS, or don't even watch anime for that matter. (not people from this site ofcourse, I'm pretty sure most are aware of GITS manga in this site)
I've been a GITS fan for 20 years like alot of people, and I'm going to see this film, because I've always day dreamed about how live action GITS movie would be like,
and I've never ever thought it would be real, and people who don't give
a damn about GITS talking about it like they're experts of GITS now, makes me laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7