• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Controversial Artist Rokudenashiko Found Guilty on Obscenity Charge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this seems like a massive victory for her, the publicity she'll get out of it out weight the puny amount she'll have to pay (she'll probably make more money in donation that the cost of the fine).

I think its rediculous to have the law apply since people knew what they were getting into, but she seems like the kind of artist who thrives in those circumstence, I would not be surprised if that was actually the outcome she wanted from the get go.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is why I detest modern art, it is just made for the sake of being controversial. Why would you do something like this? there is merit to it, it is just shocking for the sack of being chocking.

Either you're intentionally being hyperbolic, or you haven't seen much modern art. Yes, some of it is intended to be controversial, but a majority that I've seen is not. Some of it I've liked, such as a giant sculpture of a head made out of corrugated cardboard, and some I detest, like, white square on white. Modern art can be very inaccessible to people who don't devote a lot of time to it, but there's other mediums with the same problem of requiring a lot of knowledge to fully appreciate it. Like American comics.

Anyways, I might not appreciate her particular artwork, but I appreciate the message she's trying to send. I hope she succeeds.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
While I'm ecstatic that Megumi Igarashi won't have to spend anymore time in a jail cell, that ¥400,000 fine is outrageous. The Japanese government should do away with their obscenity laws, as they are long outdated and are regressive of creative freedom.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is why I detest modern art, it is just made for the sake of being controversial. Why would you do something like this? there is merit to it, it is just shocking for the sack of being chocking.

That's a stereotype borne out of artists here and there who try to be controversial, though they do so for different reasons (and not always out of attention). They're the ones getting the mainstream attention. The only controversy in stuff like "Super Cloud Bros." (a copy of Super Mario Bros. with everything removed but the sky), "Your Life Could Be Just a Chair of Bowlies" (a chair made of glued-together ceramic bowls), or that bicycle-powered waterwheel is the controversy you, the viewer, insert into it.

(Also depends on what you mean by "modern." I take it you mean art made recently and not the Modernist art movement spearheaded by guys like Marcel Duchamp.)

Parsifal24 wrote:
*sigh* well this happened free speech takes it on the chin hopeful this may get overturned in Appeal but I doubt it. Of course than the more meta-textual question is "is this art?" and "what is art?" If I pour water into a box and call it art does that make it art?

The issue of obscenity to the side I don't think this has to be considered art in order to be defended as free speech although I think it is art I always wonder about the definitions of Art people have when things like this come up.

Art is so varied that the only definition I can come up with that links all of it together is that it was declared art by someone who calls him- or herself an artist. There was that one piece, for instance--what was it called again? "17' 42"" or something like that--where the artist gathered an audience, sat in front of a piano looking ready to play, and just sat there for the duration without playing anything while recording the audience.

MarshalBanana wrote:
David was a statue of person, who was naked. It wasn't just a penis. Her work was just her vagina, and the way she titles her work she is clearly trying to be controversial, not making anything meaningful.

My brief experience in art criticism tells me she did this to criticize the Japanese government directly, their response being not only expected but a part of this work. (Looks like other people have explained this in more detail than I have.) She married a westerner. She can easily move out of Japan and to a country that's more tolerant about vaginas if she needed to. But she hasn't, and I believe that's because she wants to send a message to the Japanese people about the Japanese government to show how ridiculous their behavior and how ridiculous Japanese culture is, and the message is lost if she moves out.

But an art critic can find meaning out of anything.
hack5

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

That's a stereotype borne out of artists here and there who try to be controversial, though they do so for different reasons (and not always out of attention). They're the ones getting the mainstream attention. The only controversy in stuff like "Super Cloud Bros." (a copy of Super Mario Bros. with everything removed but the sky), "Your Life Could Be Just a Chair of Bowlies" (a chair made of glued-together ceramic bowls), or that bicycle-powered waterwheel is the controversy you, the viewer, insert into it.

(Also depends on what you mean by "modern." I take it you mean art made recently and not the Modernist art movement spearheaded by guys like Marcel Duchamp.)

Parsifal24 wrote:
*sigh* well this happened free speech takes it on the chin hopeful this may get overturned in Appeal but I doubt it. Of course than the more meta-textual question is "is this art?" and "what is art?" If I pour water into a box and call it art does that make it art?

The issue of obscenity to the side I don't think this has to be considered art in order to be defended as free speech although I think it is art I always wonder about the definitions of Art people have when things like this come up.

Art is so varied that the only definition I can come up with that links all of it together is that it was declared art by someone who calls him- or herself an artist. There was that one piece, for instance--what was it called again? "17' 42"" or something like that--where the artist gathered an audience, sat in front of a piano looking ready to play, and just sat there for the duration without playing anything while recording the audience.

MarshalBanana wrote:
David was a statue of person, who was naked. It wasn't just a penis. Her work was just her vagina, and the way she titles her work she is clearly trying to be controversial, not making anything meaningful.

My brief experience in art criticism tells me she did this to criticize the Japanese government directly, their response being not only expected but a part of this work. (Looks like other people have explained this in more detail than I have.) She married a westerner. She can easily move out of Japan and to a country that's more tolerant about vaginas if she needed to. But she hasn't, and I believe that's because she wants to send a message to the Japanese people about the Japanese government to show how ridiculous their behavior and how ridiculous Japanese culture is, and the message is lost if she moves out.

But an art critic can find meaning out of anything.

I need me some of that so called ridiculous Japanese culture at least with the laws they have keeps their society in check,Japan is one of the safest countries in Asia with the lowest crime rate in the world and if silly so called ridiculous rules as westerners called it contributes to their ranks well so be it,I'm from Trinidad and the way how anything goes in my country i would be glad to have some of the rules,laws and ridiculous culture that they have
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:

I need me some of that so called ridiculous Japanese culture at least with the laws they have keeps their society in check,Japan is one of the safest countries in Asia with the lowest crime rate in the world and if silly so called ridiculous rules as westerners called it contributes to their ranks well so be it,I'm from Trinidad and the way how anything goes in my country i would be glad to have some of the rules,laws and ridiculous culture that they have

Japan is safe for a lot of various reasons and none of them have to do with the fact that they think vaginas and penises are obscene. Ugh, just writing that makes me want to puke.

Topgunguy wrote:
You can call it whatever you want, art or otherwise, either way it's inherently in poor taste and people have the right to express how they feel about it. Art, good or bad, is not free from criticism, and 'free speech' as those idiots who conveniently preach in her defense, also applies to its naysayers.

This isn't about the criticism she's receiving, it's about legitimate political action being taken against her for simply making a statement about Japan's ridiculous obscenity laws.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:

Safety and obscenity have nothing to do with each other. She's not criticizing the Japanese government and culture for its stances on safety at all, but for its heavy-handed rules on obscenity.
hack5

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
hack5 wrote:

Japan is safe for a lot of various reasons and none of them have to do with the fact that they think vaginas and penises are obscene. Ugh, just writing that makes me want to puke.

Topgunguy wrote:
You can call it whatever you want, art or otherwise, either way it's inherently in poor taste and people have the right to express how they feel about it. Art, good or bad, is not free from criticism, and 'free speech' as those idiots who conveniently preach in her defense, also applies to its naysayers.

This isn't about the criticism she's receiving, it's about legitimate political action being taken against her for simply making a statement about Japan's ridiculous obscenity laws.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
hack5 wrote:

Safety and obscenity have nothing to do with each other. She's not criticizing the Japanese government and culture for its stances on safety at all, but for its heavy-handed rules on obscenity.

What i am trying to say small things as in rules and regulation no matter how stupid,silly and ridiculous contribute to a whole.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
sillyriri wrote:
very common purpose of art (not that it needs a purpose) is political commentary. Surely the fact that her work provokes this kind of response, and the discussions that ensue from that, counts as meaningful? Why does something lose value to you if it's intentionally provocative?
Because just being provocative just for the sake of it has no value. Nudity in art has always been around, so it is not that, that I find so indecent. it is overly perverted aspect of it, she didn't push the boat out or challenge anything, she just did something very fu*cked up. The people in the comments complaining about how the country is handling this, but I'm sure any western county with morals would also done something about it. Admittedly I did agree with you that they went a bit far in prosecuting her

This mostly sums up how I feel on the mater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
After reading the forum I pity those who use western values as a means to decry eastern as if they're views and morals are superior to others in every way. Maybe some, but everyone has their ups and downs, and no one has good up to down ratio

Just Saiyan.

While I do agree with what you're Saiyan (nice pun, by the way Laughing ), we have to remember the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi from Return of the Jedi: "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
MarshalBanana

meruru wrote:
you haven't seen much modern art. Yes, some of it is intended to be controversial, but a majority that I've seen is not. Some of it I've liked, such as a giant sculpture of a head made out of corrugated cardboard, and some I detest, like, white square on white. Modern art can be very inaccessible to people who don't devote a lot of time to it, but there's other mediums with the same problem of requiring a lot of knowledge to fully appreciate it..
Yeah that was an unfair generalisation, I know that some good things are being down creatively, a museum I went to 2 years ago had a collection of scenes from films modelled with bits and bobs.I just feel the worst parts of modern art get the limelight.
KutovoiAnton

If what she did is considered an art, then I consider the decision of the court to be a masterpiece of the modern literature, which also should be respected and protected Smile
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
it is overly perverted aspect of it, she didn't push the boat out or challenge anything, she just did something very fu*cked up. The people in the comments complaining about how the country is handling this, but I'm sure any western county with morals would also done something about it.

What's perverted about it?

Re: Western countries --have you ever been to Pompeii? They sell tourist trinkets of dicks. But that's because their ancient art is actually erotic and ancient peoples grafittied dicks everywhere because even in the BC era people thought drawing a penis on something was hilarious. I was with a tour group of high schoolers so I couldn't buy one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I have to laugh at everyone calling her art gross, or not art at all. You're either exactly who she's talking about, or in need of some serious education into what makes art, art.

Rokudenashiko - What Is Obscenity wrote:

Mannichiwa, America!

I am MANKO (vagina) artist Rokudenashiko (Megumi Igarashi).

Rokudenashi means "useless" or "good-for-nothing" in Japanese.
Japanese mangaka make silly pen names for themselves all the time, so I made myself this silly pen name without much to it when I started my career in "reality manga." Manko art, as it happens, was also just a silly thing I did for the story.

However, I was totally unprepared for the reaction of men in Japan.
"It's dirty!" "It's gross!" "It's probably smelly," they spewed at me.
Others would leer at me:
"Show me more!" "You perverted little girl!" "Let me f*** you."

There is something wrong when what amounts to an organ in everyone assigned female at birth is approached with such an overdetermined derision or special treatment. Come to think of it, even the utterance of "manko" was a taboo, and absolutely forbidden since I was a child, and I found myself respecting the archaic convention against saying it, even despite myself.

Since I've started my work in Manko art, I've been fighting back against the old men who complain about it. I've decided to keep making even more ridiculous work, with all seriousness. Though this was kind of a joke at first, now I'm joking around with every ounce of my body and soul.

My ideas has infuriated a bunch of small-minded men, but the number of people who think it's fun, silly, happy, and hilarious have also grown."

The book is already out, got mine about two weeks ago from Amazon and it is a FANTASTIC read I fully expect some of my professors in art school to add to the curriculum in the next couple years. It's also an autobiographical manga, and the style is super cute. Here's to hoping someone at ANN is working on an review.

And yes, she as an artist, DID spend jail time for her artwork. And I can't think of a single Western country that would throw her in jail for it. Course there's Russia, but they're not really in line with the rest of the Western world.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
And I can't think of a single Western country that would throw her in jail for it. Course there's Russia, but they're not really in line with the rest of the Western world.

Don't people get arrested for purchasing lolicon manga in America? Every so often you see someone getting busted for buying a doujinshi and going to prison because of it. I imagine distributing it would result in an even harsher prison punishment than buying it which is why some websites ban lolicon art despite allowing other types of pornography. You can definitely be arrested over art in western countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5