• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Keith Stanfield

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Why did they choose an ugly guy to play someone that being good looking is an important part of his character?

Not to mention he's bad actor...

Just to be clear I was talking about Nat Wolff playing Light.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out why we're so ironclad convinced, beyond all hope of debate, that Stanfield is playing L? Confused ("Well, 'cause, he's the OTHER character!")
Generally, I see a black actor in a police-heavy mystery, I assume he's going to be the straight-laced partner...Although if L is now "a reclusive police officer", we can theoretically assume the possibility that they might be going for a young Denzel Washington trope rather than an autistic-savant.

Best theory for why we're so convinced may probably be the fan grumbles over Jeremy Slater being the Fantastic Four writer, and "Oh, man, he's gonna ruin it just like they did with the Human Torch character!" Believe me, there was a lot more at fault with F4's creation than just Slater.
Kai99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
maxs2d2ace wrote:
Hollywood a few years back(and still to this day) only gave leading rolls to white people because that is the target audience that they were trying to market too(i.e Gods of Egypt).
So just stay in your seclude domicile of insecurity until your dissolution, because i don't wont you affecting others with your Prejudice and stupidity. Rolling Eyes

Just wanted to pop in here to say that, depending on the era, those in power in Egypt weren't black. If Gods of Egypt were to take place during the Ptolemaic Period, with all that Greek influence (ie. Cleopatra), casting with white people would make sense. It might make sense to do a little more research on Egypt before you start calling out others on their stupidity.

Nope, that doesn't make sense. The gods of Egypt were created years before even the Ancient Egyptian civilization as we know of began. Just because there was a small period where Greeks ruled Egypt would not have made the gods "white". Ancient Egyptians gods are African gods and should have been portrayed as such. There is no excuse for that movie.

I highly doubt that this guy is L, but if he is, all I care about is if he can act the part.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Great, we get done dealing with that god awful Ghibli executive thread and now there's this. Awesome.

So a bunch of posts that were either rude, completely OT, or were responses to the first 2 problems are now gone. Some have also been edited. After that mess of the last thread this one is getting a short leash. Beyond stopping the insults there will also be no further OT blackwashing, whitewashing or any other kind of washing debate. It has nothing to do with the topic so drop it. Go have your political soapboxing flame wars somewhere else.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
IIRC, race doesn't play too much into the story anyways in the battle of wits. So they can make it the color rainbow. Laughing

Knight-Hart wrote:

Oh, and fun, I just received this nasty, abusive PM (evidently because he was too afraid to post it on here):

"You hope he isn't L because dumb [expletive] ignorant sack of discriminatory shit. It's highly likely that he is and if so that's not only a wonderful decision, it's something you'll have to deal with or take your worthless [expletive] bullshit regression elsewhere, you worthless piece of shit.

Permaleaving this fake account and that article now so this is our last contact. Deal with it dumb fudge, my facts win, you and your ignorant bullshit lose."

#807153 is lying because the same parting sentence was sent to me on April 16 and yet obviously still can't bring him/herself to leave! Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
That user continuously makes new accounts just to send the same PM over and over. If you get one please go here and report them so we ca take care of it.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd honestly be okay if he ends up playing L, as long as the movie is good.

I think it's fine to Americanize something without making EVERYONE white. As long as maybe Light's surname is changed.

A good western live action adaptation of an anime is all I could ever want, really, and this has potential. I hope my hunch is right.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
maxs2d2ace wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
Possibly a black L, kind of cool! Diversity that doesn't screw with the actual plot, imagine that!

I don't get why everything either has to be "Americanized" ie white washed, or a character's background rewritten to fit one random ethnic group that the marketing team said needs to be in the movie, plot be damned.

L isnt black. It's funny how people complain when a character is whitewashed but you think it's great when a character is black washed. If he is L though I have no intention of watching this.

We don't like whitewashing because Hollywood has a long history of it. African, Mexican, Asian and other minorities are barely focused upon in Hollywood. The only acting jobs minorities usually get in movies are that of stereotypes. Hollywood a few years back(and still to this day) only gave leading rolls to white people because that is the target audience that they were trying to market too(i.e Gods of Egypt).
But this is 2016, a year when people are really coming together to try and make things equally better for everybody. Women are getting a lot more Leading rolls in film. Gay people are finally getting accepted by the public. And Black people are finally getting more Movies and games focused around them. In fact just this year 3 tipple"A" companies announced that an African male is the leading protagonist. Mafia 3, Watch dogs 2, and Battlefield 1(well from the box art) all have a Black protagonist in the leading roll. We are currently living in a time where you shouldn't look at a person skin,gender, or sexually and say "i cant relate to them because they are of a different set of people".
So when people like you say " I have no intention of watching this because of this race..ect" you make me sick.

People tend to relate better to others who are similar to them. There's nothing remotely sickening about that.

Guile wrote:

The argument goes both ways however. If relating to a character doesn't matter then why do we need more diversity?' With anime it's even weirder because you'll be taking away Asian roles and giving them to Black or Hispanic people. Who gets priority over representation in that case? Is it really progressive if you're just shutting out one minority over another? I also think people should make original characters for diversity rather than changing existing ones. It's just a cheap and lazy way to alter someone's successful work rather than make your own new work with whatever representation you want in it

Agreed. People are too quick to forget that most anime and manga characters are actually Japanese.

If we're going to assume that there's no difference between races, cultures, sexes, sexual orientations, etc. and that people should be able to relate to a cast of characters from any background, then why push so hard for diversity in the first place? What's so wrong with having every role in Hollywood be played exclusively by white actors if the audience, regardless of racial background, ought to be able to relate to the cast? (especially in order to avoid making certain people "sick"...) Either race, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and so forth matter for everyone or they don't matter for anyone. You can't have it both ways.

Just my two cents.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
Thankfully Death Note is a fairly universal story in terms of themes, so unless Adam Sandler is in it, it should be a good film.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm actually more interested in who will play Light's father.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
I'm sorry to butt in (personally I think it's great minorities and other identities are getting lead roles, but personally I'd prefer original characters than changing preexisting ones), but the whole 'I NEED to relate to the character personally' is a really American thing. This is why other countries don't have this sort of hubbubb about race/gender casting.

But you have to be able to connect with a character in order to like them and be invested in the story. If you cannot relate to any of the characters in a story, then you are simply a distant observer and the story will be a lot less interesting (perhaps except in a look-at-these-awful-people kind of way like with Jerry Springer or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo).

That's why Cars (the Pixar movie) is said to be better on the second viewing, for instance: The first time you watch it, Lightning McQueen is a big jerk but mellows out over the movie. The second time, you understand why he behaves the way he does and he becomes more relatable even when he's behaving smugly.

The way I see it, at least one major character in a story absolutely must be relatable for the story to be good. A story needs a connection point to the audience. (For Death Note, that character or characters varies depending on the reader or viewer though. But for nearly everyone, one of them is either Light or L.)
Kai99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Agreed. People are too quick to forget that most anime and manga characters are actually Japanese.

If we're going to assume that there's no difference between races, cultures, sexes, sexual orientations, etc. and that people should be able to relate to a cast of characters from any background, then why push so hard for diversity in the first place? What's so wrong with having every role in Hollywood be played exclusively by white actors if the audience, regardless of racial background, ought to be able to relate to the cast? (especially in order to avoid making certain people "sick"...) Either race, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and so forth matter for everyone or they don't matter for anyone. You can't have it both ways.

Just my two cents.

For one, it is more than just relating to a character. Growing up as a little black nerd, I have never had a problem with relating to the white and asian faces that were typical of my favorite characters. Unfortunately, growing up as a little black nerd, I found myself only picturing people with a pale skin tone as heroes. I was the opposite of the female characters that I've love, and as a child I wanted to have that long flowing hair and pale skin tone. I loved creating stories and my stories were filled with white people. I didn't even consider creating a black character. A lot of black kids growing up watching shows where they are rarely the main character, rarely the hero, have a lot of inner self hate within them. It is something that I've seen in myself and others, and something I plan to help with. As a Freelance Illustrator and future comic artist, a lot of my work I plan to feature stories and characters that I've always wanted to read and look up to, but was never around.

It is like that time when that little black boy went up to President Obama and ask if he could feel his hair. A lot of people didn't get the significance of that moment. The boy was so use to seeing people of the opposite skin tone and different hair texture as the "main" character, the people of importance, that someone who looks similar to him being the President of the United States is utterly mindblowing, and he had to see for himself that the President had the same hair texture.

People who are so use to seeing themselves on television really don't know what it is like. That desire to see people like you on screen as more than just the one dimensional best friend or side character. Just imagine for a bit, growing up as a boy attracted to boys, but only seeing heterosexual romances being present or only heterosexual main characters. It can really hit your self worth. That is why diversity is important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3