• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I got my dad to watch the entirety of Dragon Ball (minus filler) subtitled a few years back and he really enjoyed it. (When we saw the Battle of Gods dub in the cinema though, he hated all the dub voices. Especially Goku and Bulma.)

After that, we watched about a dozen other (shorter) anime. I actually tried him on Tiger & Bunny, but he didn't take to it. We were approximately halfway through Bakuman when he passed away a few months ago.

... Also, looking at the options for the new poll, some people fail to grasp the concept of a "cyborg". Characters like Arale, Doraemon, Nano and Ritsu are robots, there's no organic parts.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super is literally a show all about Dads.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ What do you do about your figure collection?

I mean, at this point she's accepted this is a hobby I have and it's too late to change that, she just doesn't like it. I keep all my figures in my shelves in my room, so it's not like I have them all over the apartment (which is why I struggle for space) and they're never even in her line of vision. When a new one comes in I wait to be alone to unbox it and everything because I really can't stand her judgmental looks. It's kinda funny because she's always telling me I shouldn't be so uptight about spending my money (and to make it clear, all the money I spend is money I made on my own, my parents never gave me any allowance), but when I do spend it in my one hobby she complains about how I waste it *shrug*
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm in a rather lucky situation where both my mom and dad will watch anime with me. They may not understand it or enjoy it, but they do it to spend time with me which I think is awesome, I only hope I can be that good of a parent if I ever have kids.

That said my Dad has watched a lot more than my mom has. Together we have watched;

Death Note
Eureka Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Steins;Gate
Madoka Magica
Durarara
Deadman Wonderland
Chaos;Head
Ghost in the Shell
Evangelion 1.11
Evangelion 2.22
Darker than Black
Darker than Black OVA's
Darker than Black Gemini of the Meteor
Eureka Seven AO
Zetsuen no Tempest
Hitsugi no Chaika
FLCL

Those are the ones I remember anyway. Plan on showing him Robotics;Notes soon too! Psycho Pass might be a good option as well, especially since I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now myself.

Last edited by Cyclone1993 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Eyeshield 21 got listed. It's my favorite manga. Anime hyper

But my oldest brother can't really stand how inaccurate it can be, especially someone as small as Sena being so good at football. Most running backs are more like Yamato, y'know?

Also Android 18 is listed twice is the poll, as 18 and Android 18.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
No children, but I do spend a lot of time watching anime with my nephews and nieces. It's actually pretty interesting to see how kids/teenagers react to shows. It's cool to get their perspective.

At the same time, since I like it they usually do too. That's just the way that cookie crumbles. Razz

My nieces love One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Angel, Beats, and are big into Re:Zero atm.
My nephews aren't as inclined, but really enjoyed watching Death Note, Stein's;Gate, and occasionally 'joke' watch shows like Highschool DxD or Highschool of the Dead for the 'plot'. Laughing

Thought that was interesting enough to share. Razz
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
No love for Slam Dunk? Crying or Very sad
rebii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
There are a few more dad-oriented titles. You totally missed the action adventure genre which my dad was so fond of, most notably:
Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon, with all out non stop action, a real guy's series
Michiko to Hatchin

You seem to have forgotten the action genre entirely.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I voted for Kurumi from Steel Angel Kurumi. Her superhuman android powers would make for an awesome ally to someone challenging a resilient opponent.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
There's a few anime that I think would be right up my dad's alley, but he's always been the "animation and video games are only for young children" kind of person, and I'm not sure if that's something I can change his mind on. Still, for any dads that might have similar tastes to his:

• For people who like classic rock and jazz: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Cowboy Bebop
  • For fans of Game of Thrones: Berserk, Record of Lodoss War
  • For fans of action movies: Black Lagoon

I think my mom would be more receptive to anime, but she's very much into historical stuff (particularly American presidential history, as well as the history of the British royal family), and I don't think any anime has ever tackled those subjects.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Try Emma for your mom. Not royalty, but British and historical! Very Happy

If your dad likes Berserk-like shows, but still thinks that's for young children, I'm at a loss for a suggestion. Smile

@ CrowLia: Yeah, I hear ya. That's why my father and I pretty much only ever talked about the weather. The couple of times I was enthusiastic enough about something to try to share it, taught me to keep it to myself.
Responder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works, Hellsing Ultimate, Parasyte, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Assassination Classroom, Death Parade, Ergo Proxy and Space Dandy with my mother, but only the end of Parasyte with my father, who kept asking the most ridiculous questions. A lot of people seem to consider this stuff kids-only material, so I doubt these would help. He might enjoy the, uh, food reactions, but even then, I think he'd still find the whole thing flamboyant.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as a dad, there are some big omissions in the lists so far.

Top of my list would be Bartender from 2006, especially if your dad is over forty. In each episode preternaturally insightful bartender Ryuu finds just the right alcoholic concoction to ease his patrons' worried souls. No show I have ever watched has such an array of older characters, some of whom, like me, are over sixty. The excellent fansub from Lunar is up on YouTube.

Next would be a baseball show. I'd recommend the now sadly hard-to-find Cross Game though some people prefer One Outs or Touch.

For a dad who likes action films, Black Lagoon looks more like conventional Hollywood shoot-em-ups than most other anime I've watched. It has a "Western" sensibility that even something like Baccano!, set in Prohibition America, doesn't really match. As it turns out, my favorite arc is perhaps the most Japanese of the series, the story about a yakuza succession battle, "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise," that closes the second half of the series. (Having one of my all-time favorite seiyuu, Kuwashima Houko, in a major role is icing on the cake.)

For a dad who likes history, I might suggest Hyouge Mono, an extraordinarily complex, often funny, yet deep portrayal of the Sengoku period. All the big names -- Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Akechi Mitsuhide, and Tokugawa Ieyasu -- have their day, but the story focuses on one of Nobunaga's vassals, the "warrior-esthete" Furuta Sasuke. Sasuke himself is a stand-in for the historical personage Furuta Oribe. Yamada Yoshiro's award-winning manga deviates from the historical canon in certain important ways, but I have not seen any other show so rich in Japanese history. Another historical option is Oh! Edo Rocket, set during the 19th century Tenpou Reforms, but it's an over-the-top political satire from the zany mind of Nakashima Kazuki, the screenwriter for Kill la Kill and Gurenn Lagann.

Finally I think most any dad would enjoy watching Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") with its cast of thirty-somethings yearning to become astronauts. As a gaijin, I found it hard to connect with Mutta's concern that he always be ahead of his younger brother, but Asian friends found that aspect of his character very plausible. What I like most about this show is how it captures the excitement of space travel, which was a big part of my childhood in the 1960s and so sadly missing from American culture today. If your dad has seen any recent movies about space like The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, or October Sky, he'll recognize homages to all of them in Uchuu Kyoudai.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
My stepdad loves The Twilight Zone, so I figured he would like Death Parade. We watched a few episodes together when it was airing last year. And I was right! He was hooked. We haven't had a chance to watch more together since then (when I'm at my parents' house, my mom tends to control the TV, and she hates anime), but I think he would really love the ending, so I can't wait until we do get that chance.

Now that I think about it, I also showed him a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop once. And he wasn't quite as hooked as with Death Parade, but he still enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Any Ghibli movie works well for non-anime fans TBH. Watched them all so far with my dad in theatres.

Bebop is another good one. It doesn't go heavy on anime tropes/cliches...same reason why it's such a great gateway anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4