• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses D.Gray-Man Episodes 52-103

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
I'm so happy right now.....

It's going to be weird Hearing Allen as Todd again. When he did D. Gray Man originally he was still kind of a rookie. Now he's a pretty good actor.

Is it confirmed theyre gonna dub it? And if so whatll happen to Travis willingham and his Yu kanda role, is he gonna reprise it?

He reprised his role as Ace in One Piece, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't reprise this role too.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
I'm so happy right now.....

It's going to be weird Hearing Allen as Todd again. When he did D. Gray Man originally he was still kind of a rookie. Now he's a pretty good actor.

Is it confirmed theyre gonna dub it? And if so whatll happen to Travis willingham and his Yu kanda role, is he gonna reprise it?

he came to back to reprise Ace in One Piece and Relius in Blazblue,both anime dubbed by Funimation,so I can see them getting him back for this.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I've always kind of wanted to watch this series, but haven't since only half ever got brought over.

The manga was one of the first I read, back when Borders was still around.
Futago_101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
I'm very happy hearing this news. I've always been bewildered why they didn't dub the 2nd half when they had the license in the first place.

Huge misconception. Funimation licenses separate seasons at a time, not an entire series.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Apparently my long comment - which ended up briefly ruining the forum page - got deleted. Oh well, sorry. But I meant it, so I'll say it more concisely: FINALLY!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

he came to back to reprise Ace in One Piece and Relius in Blazblue,both anime dubbed by Funimation,so I can see them getting him back for this.

Plus, Laura Bailey was back as Maka in Soul Eater Not, so I think they can get him back, since the role would be there for him. (Assuming schedules permit.) He and Laura might not audition for new stuff with Funimation, but I think they are well aware that fans would want them back.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with this news. I never got going on the series in large part because the second half wasn't available legally. I can't say I'm too surprised by this since licensing parts1 and 3 wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Even if Funimation was hard up for shows to stream this season, the money spent would be somewhat wasted by a lot of viewers skipping it because they didn't have a chance to watch the second half.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
My dream from 6 years ago finally came true! About damn time. Now put the whole show on a nice blu ray boxset and I'm set.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
took them long enough Rolling Eyes
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Fantastic news.

Dear Funimation staff while you got Todd Haberkorn in the booth, would you please mind dubbing the rest of Xxholic and maybe re-release D Gray Man in a complete collectors box set? Thank you. Wink

^ Bolded part = YES PLEASE!!

This announcement gives me that tiny bit of hope that we'll see the rest of xxxHolic. Considering it's one of the series listed on their recent blog of "Anime that turns 10 this year" and it was also consider a "poor seller" like D.Gray-Man, this does help with that dream of owning all the rest of that series on DVD.

Although xxxHolic isn't getting another adaptation unlike D.Gray-Man, so perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up too high. >.>;
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait what?

Wow, in a year, look what the series has come too. A year ago, it was still on hiatus. Now...new chapters, an anime, and Funi finally got Stage 2. It's the icing on the cake. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I got it. Very Happy Very Happy
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
good news for those that follow the anime. I ended up getting rid of the my dvd copies of the first half after FUNi went silent on their plans for the 2nd half
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
[Travis Willingham] came to back to reprise Ace in One Piece and Relius in Blazblue,both anime dubbed by Funimation,so I can see them getting him back for this.

BlazBlue was dubbed at Cup of Tea, the same LA studio that dubs the current video games (and has since Continuum Shift Extend) so that's different compared to One Piece.

With that said, if there's a problem with getting Travis to go to Dallas then there's still Todd Haberkorn and his home studio (see Yuki-chan & Attack on Titan: Junior High, both dubs had the LA VAs record from there). I personally hope this also do this with Code Geass: Akito The Exiled since they need to get Yuri Lowenthal & Kate Higgins to reprise as Suzaku & C.C. for that series.

Last edited by NJ_ on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I legitimately gasped when I read this. I'm just astounded. There have been some blockbuster announcements in anime recently, but this is what surprised me the most.

How long has it been since Season 1?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the impending airing of the new series played a factor into them finally licensing the rest of the first one. Better now than ever, especially as interest in the franchise has renewed.

Aura Ichadora wrote:

This announcement gives me that tiny bit of hope that we'll see the rest of xxxHolic. Considering it's one of the series listed on their recent blog of "Anime that turns 10 this year" and it was also consider a "poor seller" like D.Gray-Man, this does help with that dream of owning all the rest of that series on DVD.

Although xxxHolic isn't getting another adaptation unlike D.Gray-Man, so perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up too high. >.>;

Time to start wishing for a xxxHolic Rei adaptation!
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

Plus, Laura Bailey was back as Maka in Soul Eater Not, so I think they can get him back, since the role would be there for him. (Assuming schedules permit.) He and Laura might not audition for new stuff with Funimation, but I think they are well aware that fans would want them back.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with this news. I never got going on the series in large part because the second half wasn't available legally. I can't say I'm too surprised by this since licensing parts1 and 3 wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Even if Funimation was hard up for shows to stream this season, the money spent would be somewhat wasted by a lot of viewers skipping it because they didn't have a chance to watch the second half.

People shouldnt worry about VA that moved to LA/california. Todd and Brina both moved there and they still do Funimation titles. Fairy Tail, Black Butler and Snow White for example. Todd can record all LA/california based VA. So Travis will record his stuff most likely in LA. Besides Todd done the most ADR directing for D Graymen under supervision of Chris Sabat. Really Todd homestudio in LA should be called Funimation LA lol. I see it as a blessing that Todd moved to LA it opens up a lot of opportunities. Bryce for example in the weekly Attack on Titan junior high dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4