• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Re: Zero Novel Ad: 'TV Anime's Sequel' is in the Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Unusually upfront with the "anime is gloried advertisement" thing.

Yep. Sadly, almost all of anime is just a glorified advertisement for something, mainly manga and light novels. And then the biggest joke of it is that said advertisement is sold on video so that fans are paying for the advertisement production. I've never been a fan of the Japanese model for anime productions, and that model has simply grown worse over the years.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Yep. Sadly, almost all of anime is just a glorified advertisement for something, mainly manga and light novels. And then the biggest joke of it is that said advertisement is sold on video so that fans are paying for the advertisement production. I've never been a fan of the Japanese model for anime productions, and that model has simply grown worse over the years.

I don't understand your point about "the biggest joke of it." Note that it's not like original work late night anime is any cheaper on video in general. Even during the day watched by large numbers of ordinary people anime isn't any cheaper on video in general whether based on selling manga (like Mitsuru Adachi works like Cross Game or Rumiko Takahashi works, or even Phoenix Wright, which also airs at normal people hours) or original stuff. Most ordinary people, even if they're watching a show, don't buy it on home video, and that holds for regular TV as much as streaming. Nor is high selling first in theater stuff like Space Battleship Yamato cheaper either. At most, some things get cheaper box sets (often without extras) later after their first run, or are available used.

So it's hard to say that it's any more expensive. Other than that, if it's enjoyable, who cares if part of the production cost is footed by a committee hoping to increase sales of the original media? To the degree that people didn't buy it, it would be more of an advertisement / subsidy model. To the degree that people buy it, they make it less of a joke, not more.

Now, it's certainly true that over the years the anime market has had more and more niche late night shows (and, like the US, the ratings for the popular shows in the daytime aren't what they were), and I agree that's a problem. I think it would be better to not aim at just the niche audience. But in the heyday of the '80s and early '90s shows with wide, wide viewership, many or most were still based on popular manga, whether Ranma 1/2, Yawara!, Kimagure Orange Road, Touch, or what have you.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mitrospeed wrote:
Not really. Arc 4 should amount to about 8-10 light novel volumes which the author releases in a monthly-bimonthly pace starting with next week. Volume 10 is already announced for October, Volume 11 will be then November or December the latest and this goes on until he is finished sometimes next year with arc 4.

Huh, how is Yen Press ever going to catch up if new novels are coming faster than they churn out translated ones?...
Elric_Edward

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Once they finish Arc 4 in the LN, they will be able to make a season 2.

When will that be, who knows? But they aren't denying a future season nor guaranteeing it and Nagatsuki has said that he wants to see his story animated
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Huh, how is Yen Press ever going to catch up if new novels are coming faster than they churn out translated ones?...

I doubt they ever will and the funny thing is they're not exactly the ones to blame for that.
You have no idea how tedious licensing of light novel and manga outside of Japan is. Translation does not only inbound word by word translations, there is a lot more to it. Phrases, jokes, folk tales all have to be either explained or replaced by a western equivalent otherwise western readers are only left with a big "?" over their head. The layout has to be altered and much more. The thing is every single step has to be checked and approved by the Japanese publisher and I think you can imagine how much time this eats up.

So the fact that Tappei is such a powerhouse in terms of producing content actually hurts the english translation. He's basically widening the already large gap with it.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This guy has started to translate the Web Novel.

https://translationchicken.com/
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

I don't understand your point about "the biggest joke of it."

In terms of advertising and TV outside of Japan, I'm not buying videos (whether BD or DVD) of advertisements. Advertisements are something most folks ignore, skip, whatever. Folks are interested in the product being aired, ie: Star Wars: Rebels. That series is not an advertisement for Star Wars products, even though it will help sell Star Wars products. The series has good ratings to pay for production costs. Thus, we are into S3 of that series.The series gets produced based on how many people are viewing it when it airs on Disney.

For anime, rather than the series be about the series (even if adapting a manga or light novel), it is about advertising said manga or light novel. Therein lies the "joke" as i describe it. Instead of the anime being paid for by advertisers, subscription fees, etc., the money is fronted by a production committee, the anime then becomes the advertisement for the production committee, and then fans are supposed to pay outrageous prices to buy the advertisement on video. Of course, they are also supposed to buy other products in addition to buying the light novels or manga source material.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Unlike the Rokka anime which was well received in the west but not so much in Japan, Re:Zero seems to be beloved on both sides of the Pacific so a second season is a matter of "when" and not "if."

People say things like this all the time, but then the majority never do come to fruition. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it'll get more. There are dozens(maybe hundreds) of successful shows that don't get anything at all. Some might get an OVA, or a movie, to capitalize on the market a bit more, but so many never get a reasonable canon continuation because telling a complete story was never what they were created for. This show has certainly accomplished what it set out to do, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we never got more.(I'm saying all of this somewhat as reverse psychology on myself, as I really hope we do get more)
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The true tell I think, on whether we get a sequel, will be in how the DVD and merch sales do. Didn't Durarara get a sequel series specifically because DVD sales were ridiculously high? Actually... *checks Re:Zero DVD rankings* Yep it's doing pretty good.
There's more than enough source material and the original author seems thrilled with the anime adaptation so if they decide to make a sequel next year it should be no problem. Getting the LNs just in case though.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a 'read the light novel' ending, LITERALLY!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
For once they actually pretty much blatantly told people they watched an advertisement.Laughing Though people still won't get why most anime are made to begin with.
CheezcakeMe wrote:
The true tell I think, on whether we get a sequel, will be in how the DVD and merch sales do. Didn't Durarara get a sequel series specifically because DVD sales were ridiculously high? Actually... *checks Re:Zero DVD rankings* Yep it's doing pretty good.
There's more than enough source material and the original author seems thrilled with the anime adaptation so if they decide to make a sequel next year it should be no problem. Getting the LNs just in case though.
IIRC it was due to how the merch kept selling years later, and a producer pushed for more because of that. Aniplex is unlikely to be interested in investing in an anime for the sequel series though because the disc sales REALLY cratered.
S1: 18,311
S2 P1: 4,603
S2 P2: 2,451
S2 P3: 2,717
http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view

As for discs and Re:Zero, something to keep in mind, Showgate (Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures) is actually towards the very bottom of the production committee. Granted Media Factory is distributing the discs, but they're not publishing them. So, in this case, disc sales don't mean that much. If those LN sales peak, you can bet Media Factory will move on just like how ASCII Media Works has moved on from Index (the LN sales peaked, that is why S3 will likely never happen).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Damn that's harsh especially for all the fans (myself included) who really enjoyed Re: Zero. Sad
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Damn that's harsh especially for all the fans (myself included) who really enjoyed Re: Zero. Sad

It's harsh for all the non Japanese fans.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
A lot of LN anime end on a "read the books!" note but this is the first one to say it outright.

Definitely the first one I've seen do this...but, at least the LNs have been licensed in English. Have had many series end with a "now pick up the source material" ending, where the source isn't licensed for translation.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
A lot of LN anime end on a "read the books!" note but this is the first one to say it outright.

Definitely the first one I've seen do this...but, at least the LNs have been licensed in English. Have had many series end with a "now pick up the source material" ending, where the source isn't licensed for translation.
Or even worse, there are no translations (fan or official) or incomplete translations (fan or official). Light novel fans have it way better now thanks to Yen Press making a serious push for them, and many are buying. Though they're still taking on risks, and need people to continue buying. That was always the biggest problem back in the day, people didn't buy them enough.

Some examples BTW of series (manga and light novel for the source) that have no translations/dropped translations: Pumpkin Scissors, Shakugan no Shana, Birdy the Mighty (the rebooted manga), Guin Saga, IS: Infinite Stratos
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3