• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shibushi City Pulls 'Sexist' Eel Girl Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Let's tone down the "you don't know what you're talking about" & "are you even" rhetoric please. Thanks.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

That is ridiculous. Sexism has an actual definition you know. You don't need a vagina to be able to check to see if something meets the criteria.

Because men have historically noticed when something was sexist against women? It's easier to not notice something when it doesn't pertain to you, nor does it affect the group you are in. It's typical, as some commenting have already done, to instead downplay the issue at hand. It happens, quite literally, every day in society because people are not always capable of viewing things through the lens of other people.

Lord Oink wrote:

Are you Japanese? If not then maybe you should refrain from making statements whether something is sexist to Japanese women or not considering it doesn't pertain to your culture/race is viewed at all.

I'm not making a statement about how their race/culture is viewed and I'm aligning myself with what the actual Japanese viewers have said about the commercial. It'd be one thing if I was downplaying the Japanese viewers and painting them out to be ridiculous as other people who commented have, but I didn't. If I was doing that then you could point out how I was disregarding their culture and just painting them out to look like perverts or exaggerators and so on. You almost got me though. Also, things such as sexism/racism are fairly easy to take notice of even from an outside cultural perspective.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
i don't get most of the ads from japan

i wouldn't know if it was about eels either..

no source video?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Good job I don't like eel else this ad would put me right off ever eating them again, because I would feel like I had become a canabal. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3