• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Launches on March 3 for US$299.99

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It keeps behind the other two technologically because it doesn't care about the specs race.

It's more of case where they want the console to be affordable even at the risk of shrinking it's third party support and subsequently it's user base.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
The NES was a generation behind and destroyed the other systems of its generation.

To be fair when the NES came out most of it's competition had already bowed out do to the Crash so it was largely uncontested.

johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
I have yet to meet a single person who uses more than 30GB of their harddrive.

Of a console or a phone?

They were also against the Wii and that turned out to be a massive household hit.

Yeah if you disregard most it's sucess was owed to Nintendo chasing after demographic that they didn't come back for the WiiU.

A better question is why do you think 300 bucks for a brand new console is outrageously high but give the PS4s 500 dollar launch price a pass?

....Don't you mean the PS3? which was actually 600 & 500 dollars.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Of a console or a phone?

To be honest? Either.

Quote:
Yeah if you disregard most it's sucess was owed to Nintendo chasing after demographic that they didn't come back for the WiiU

Which is relevant...how? My point is that investors don't actually know shit what makes a good console.

Quote:
....Don't you mean the PS3? which was actually 600 & 500 dollars.

Even better then.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Which is relevant...how? My point is that investors don't actually know shit what makes a good console.

To be fair neither does Nintendo from time to time especially when it comes to things like region locking, infrastructure, or non gimmicky controllers which are sometimes the only controller you can use for a game.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised that the vast majority of people on here seem to be genuinely positive regarding the Switch and excited for it. It seemed like it pretty much dropped out of favor with a ton of people elsewhere on the internet after that admittedly hit-or-miss presentation (especially IGN's boards). I do hope this ends up being a success for Nintendo, I want to see them prosper again. That said, there are definitely some delicate lines that they're walking on after the whole debacle with the Wii U, and I hope they're prepared to handle them properly. I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about the piece of hardware, and Zelda is really tempting me to preorder the thing, something I've never done with any console before.

residentgrigo wrote:
The 720p resolution of the portable display is great and but it apparently won´t replace the 3DS in the long run, due to the mediocre battery life. We will need a new Nintendo portable soon-ish though...The 3D is 6 years old!

No, it will definitely be replacing the 3DS. The main point of the Switch is to consolidate both Nintendo's portable and home console development divisions to allow for more frequent title releases and less dry spells that would so often affect the 3DS and Wii U. The system's range of 2.5-6 hours isn't much worse than most other portable devices in the market (including smartphones), but we all deal with it. And I'm absolutely positive that we'll be seeing plenty of peripheral attachments that add a decent amount of extra battery life to the system in the future. Plus it's USB-C, which is great in terms of how easy and efficient it will be to quickly charge it in the future when it's the common connector.

Ambimunch wrote:
It costs too much, the 'portable' branding will prevent people from paying that much money (especially after a decade of the DS prices as being the standard)

It's not being branded as just a portable. It's being marketed as both a portable and a home console. Out of the two, they're leaning more towards the "Nintendo's next home console" angle, even though they do indeed intend for it to ultimately replace the 3DS I'm sure.

CrownKlown wrote:
And lets not forget its massive 32gb hardrive, Ie smaller than a lot of phones. And before you say well you can buy an external harddrive, no it only take microsd cards. And then that would increase the consoles price point even before buying a single game, to close to 400.

The system takes Micro SDXC cards up to 256GB, and they confirmed that it will indeed support the largest size, which is 2TB (these aren't actually on the market yet, and will be quite lofty in price when they are). So the price of adding external storage I can understand being frustrated with. But you're also just plain wrong about hooking up external hard drives. They've said that you are able to do so, just as you were with the Wii U. But since the console takes cartridge media and there won't be storage eating installs and downloads, you probably won't be filling up your space nearly as much as you would with the Xbox One or PS4, unless you do a lot of digital downloading, but even a 128GB should be sufficient enough in that regard.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:25 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
No, it will definitely be replacing the 3DS. The main point of the Switch is to consolidate both Nintendo's portable and home console development divisions to allow for more frequent title releases and less dry spells that would so often affect the 3DS and Wii U. The system's range of 2.5-6 hours isn't much worse than most other portable devices in the market (including smartphones), but we all deal with it. And I'm absolutely positive that we'll be seeing plenty of peripheral attachments that add a decent amount of extra battery life to the system in the future. Plus it's USB-C, which is great in terms of how easy and efficient it will be to quickly charge it in the future when it's the common connector.

Even if Nintendo doesn't make any add-ons to improve battery life, I'm sure 3rd party companies will do it. They did it with the 3DS and Wii U's GamePad already. And there will most certainly be portable chargers, just as what some people use to keep their smartphones working through the day.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised that the vast majority of people on here seem to be genuinely positive regarding the Switch and excited for it. It seemed like it pretty much dropped out of favor with a ton of people elsewhere on the internet after that admittedly hit-or-miss presentation (especially IGN's boards). I do hope this ends up being a success for Nintendo, I want to see them prosper again. That said, there are definitely some delicate lines that they're walking on after the whole debacle with the Wii U, and I hope they're prepared to handle them properly. I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about the piece of hardware, and Zelda is really tempting me to preorder the thing, something I've never done with any console before.

What are the chief reasons for the mixed reactions? Is it the price point in relation to the hardware? The presentation of the Joycons? The initial window lineup (which I assume it will grow once E3 hits)?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
No, it will definitely be replacing the 3DS. The main point of the Switch is to consolidate both Nintendo's portable and home console development divisions to allow for more frequent title releases and less dry spells that would so often affect the 3DS and Wii

I don't really recall Nintendo stating this openly or even subtlety especially since part of the reason for the WiiU's dry spells was the system having little to no third party support. And consolidating both lines to cover up a problem only one of them has is kind of dumb.

Jayhosh wrote:
The system's range of 2.5-6 hours isn't much worse than most other portable devices in the market (including smartphones), but we all deal with it. And I'm absolutely positive that we'll be seeing plenty of peripheral attachments that add a decent amount of extra battery life to the system in the future.

If it has to be charged often that becomes a bit of a problem it's like the battery life difference between the Dualshock 3 and Dualshock 4.

Jayhosh wrote:
But since the console takes cartridge media and there won't be storage eating installs and downloads,

....We know this how? because the Vita worked under the same premise and ate up storage too.

Jayhosh wrote:
you probably won't be filling up your space nearly as much as you would with the Xbox One or PS4, unless you do a lot of digital downloading, but even a 128GB should be sufficient enough in that regard.

Provided the cartridges aren't clocking in at 20-60 GB's like PS4 and One games do yeah.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Was surprised by the complete lack of launch titles that were shown during the Nintendo stream last night. Also has there been any clarification on the "download and play one game for free for a month" line on their website? Will it be like other console subscriptions where you keep the title for as long as you pay for the subscription or will it actually disappear after a month?

It will actually go away after the month is up.

Yep. Part of your subscription fee is paying for the privilege of playing Contra with a stranger or whatever, for a month.

The paid online from a company that's historically bad at online is part of the reason I'm holding off until at least the holidays. Extra hardware is pricy too - the Joycon Grip in the box doesn't charge the Joycons while in use, you gotta buy another $30 Grip for that, and another $80 for each new set of Joycons. It seems like Nintendo has finally reached the current nickel-and-dimey epoch of gaming, in the most inept, Nintendy way possible.

I think the hardware itself looks good, and the fact that the Joycons can switch back and forth from Wiimote goofiness to actual video game controllers gives me some confidence that it won't end up being a shovelware landfill like the Wii.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
It seems like Nintendo has finally reached the current nickel-and-dimey epoch of gaming,

...You mean they didn't reach that with the Wii where the Wiimote and nunchuk were sold as seperate accessories eventhough many games require both peripherals, Along with the fact that with the Wiimote being the default controller for the system if you wanted a traditional controller you had to pay for it or....buy a game it was packed in with.

And that's without mentioning the system had no chargers packed in with the system something even the PS3 had for it's controller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3