• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Video Rental Store Owner Has Truly Insane Gaming Setup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Non-gamer checking in here, so forgive my ignorance, but...

...what is the advantage of have multiple accounts in the same game and the ability to play them at the same time? Is that so he can have his own party where he controls all the characters?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

...what is the advantage of have multiple accounts in the same game and the ability to play them at the same time? Is that so he can have his own party where he controls all the characters?

I've never played this particular game, but there is one generically applicable reason:
The simplest reason is that in general, the more time you spend playing a MMORPG the more items/money/experience/levels you get. This stuff can usually be traded between characters, so if you play 10 characters at once you basically earn "stuff" 10 times faster.

It's not usually possible to play multiple characters literally at the same time in things like battle, so instead you do things with each character that have cooldowns (like, chop down this tree that usually takes 30 seconds, then you can get 10 characters doing it at once but only actually input a command for each one every 3 seconds).

Although I could see someone maybe being good enough to play 2 characters at the same time in a party perhaps... but for 3 or more you'd have to be pro gamer level.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
@ samuelp - thanks for the insight!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
That setup is nuts. Although I'm a collector of things too I wouldn't dare try to rival that. And I bet he puts in some quality time making sure that the place doesn't get too dusty.

Yeah, my plush collection is quite dusty, and it takes me a full day to clean it. (But my aunt broke our vacuum cleaner, which is partially why.)

Dust gathers quickly in my room. I just cleaned my desk of dust a week ago, and now there's a fine layer of dust on everything again.

Blood- wrote:

Another factor is that MMORPGs (and some other various RPGs, especially western RPGs) allow you to play as different characters with different attributes and gameplay. Some people might have multiple accounts at once simply because they want to experience it all without having to delete a character to make room for another. If it's a game where you can only make one character and he or she is locked to the device you're playing from, your only choice is to have multiple systems with multiple games. (This is fairly common among hardcore Pokémon players, for instance. Some DO have multiple accounts to trade, but there are just as many who want to raise multiple teams to see how they compare and contrast at a glance.)

Kadmos1 wrote:
OK, who here is going to write the light novel for this and what long title are you giving it?

Umm, let me brainstorm something:

My Beautiful Wife Is Absolutely OK with My Gigantic Video Game Collection!

samuelp wrote:
It's not usually possible to play multiple characters literally at the same time in things like battle, so instead you do things with each character that have cooldowns (like, chop down this tree that usually takes 30 seconds, then you can get 10 characters doing it at once but only actually input a command for each one every 3 seconds).

Although I could see someone maybe being good enough to play 2 characters at the same time in a party perhaps... but for 3 or more you'd have to be pro gamer level.

There are indeed some people who are that good. Before Masahiro Sakurai came down with calcific tendonitis, he would personally help playtest Smash Bros. games by playing 1-vs-1 matches as both characters at once, with one controller on each hand (or sometimes they'd be on a table). But this guy has, what, 12 accounts for the same game? There is no way he'd be playing all 12 of them at once unless it's as you mentioned, activities with long wait times.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

This is probably dumb, but my favorite part is that he has two GameCubes. One regular and one with the gamboy attachment, I'm assuming so he could play both at once. Baller.

He has 3, that mettalic thing next to the Dreamcasts is a Panasonic Q Gamecube that can play dvds, he also has a 64 with DD attachment, 3do, pcFx, Dreamcast with Karaoke attachment, and the pink Dreamcast is the Sakura Wars limited edition which I personally own and can confirm is very rare and hard to find.

and last but not least, an Xbox in Japan lol
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon, if you make that an e-light novel, I might be your 1st customer to buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3