• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Details G Gundam, Gundam Wing Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
BURRRNNIIIINNNGGG FINGERRRR!!!

Woot, woot! Anime hyper
Nyren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
lilcrazy07 wrote:
Chronological order for UC Gundam,
1. Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin [ongoing]
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
3. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt [ongoing]
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - The Hidden One Year War (PART 1) [OPTIONAL]
6. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO 2 - The Gravity Front (PART 2) [OPTIONAL]
7. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - Apocalypse 0079 (PART 3) [OPTIONAL]
8. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
9. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
10. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
11. Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
13. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn || Alternative Version: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096[ongoing]
14. Mobile Suit Gundam F91
15. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Look here for the release order.

Other Stand-alone Gundam Series:
* After War Gundam X
* Gundam Reconguista in G
* Mobile Fighter-G Gundam
* Mobile Suit Gundam 00
* Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
* Mobile Suit Gundam Build Fighters
* Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
* Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
* Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
* Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam (should be watched after all of UC Gundam)
You forgot Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis after Gundam Unicorn. Also, Thunderbolt Season 2 ended so it's technically not still ongoing. RE:0096 also finished airing. And Reconguista in G falls into the same category as Turn A. It definitely takes place after UC and is best watched after you've watched at the very least the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Whether or not you want to watch it before or after Turn A depends on what chronology you subscribe too since no one seems to be able to agree. Even Tomino flip-flopped.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
It is going to utterly destroy my wallet when I start upgrading all of those old Bandai DVDs to Blu-ray. And I haven't even watched most of them yet either. Shocked
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic but if any one can answer I'd be extremely grateful. This past year it's felt like there have been a million different Gundam series getting released on bluray and it's overwhelmingly confusing to me as I haven't a clue about the franchise. Are all the series connected or all their separate stories? Where would someone even start if t hey wanted to try out this series? Dubbed series are preferred as Sci-fi/space/robots isn't a genre/theme I tend to like very often with some exceptions and the lack of dub on top of that would probably make it unwatchable for me but would like to as least try some of this franchise is there are any friendly starting points for someone like me, thank you very much!

The best place to start if you want a feel for the "main" Gundam continuity are the three Mobile Suit Gundam compilation films from the early 80s. A huge number of Gundam shows are set in the same universe as these films (the "Universal Century" timeline), and they are the primary reference point for most of Gundam's most culturally identifiable elements (to Japanese people, at least... the first Gundam show that became popular in the West was actually Gundam Wing, which is set in its own independent timeline).

They are generally considered among the best anime compilation films ever made, and they are more polished than the TV show on which they were based, to the point where when there are discrepancies between the films and the original TV show, the films are usually treated as canon.

The currently available Bluray and DVD versions of the films are subtitle-only, but the VHS version I have on my shelf is dubbed, and it shouldn't be too hard to find those versions if your preferred method of watching anime is less-than-official.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a good - and more contemporary - stand-alone entry point to Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans has been getting a lot of positive reviews from newcomers to the franchise. Iron Blooded Orphans is set in its own independent timeline, so you don't need any prior Gundam knowledge.

I would give IBO a positive watch for the first half of it, you'll be possibly disappointed by the second half of it though. The writing turned ugly by the second half.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Two of my favorite Gundam series of all time are FINALLY getting released on blu-ray hell I must have watched each series like a hundred times over but it still never gets old. Very Happy
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wing I can sort of take or leave. I would watch it if it aired on TV again (hint hint, Toonami), but it's not one of the strong Gundam entries and I'd only be watching for nostalgia.

G Gundam I'm quite fond of. I wonder if they're going to redub it or leave the Blue Water dub, which is surprisingly popular (baffles me). It's such a fun show and actually has one of the few decent Gundam romances in Domon and Rain. I'll be tempted to pick this one up.

i for one hope that it doesnt get redubbed. like with SEED & SEED DESTINY , those series DONT need a new english dub. especially for the cases of gundam wing.

it would be better off if they did a redub of build fighters and build fighters try instead. or use the resources to give an english dub version for turn a gundam , reconguista in g or even gundam AGE.

Neither Wing or G is getting redubbed. This was confirmed by Nozomi.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
Nozomi confirmed that neither Wing or G Gundam are receiving new dubs.

Nyren wrote:
I would also like to see Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try eventually get proper US English dubs. These SEA English dubs are just... I just can't listen to them without cringing. I give the actors props for trying at least. Sadly, AGE also got a SEA dub, so if we do get AGE, I can see that dub being tossed on the disc. And I find it strange that Turn A wasn't dubbed because last I checked, it was close to release before Bandai closed up shop. Like, the dub was done and everything. They have to still have that dub laying around somewhere.

There wasn't a dub for Turn A produced. Prior to Bandai Entertainment's closure, the plan was to release it sub-only.

I think it's a tossup for whether or not Age gets released with that SEA dub. They didn't bother with ZZ's one. Though, that might have been a case like the movie trilogy, where Sunrise is embarassed by that.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Honestly, nobody in the dub could compete with the Japanese cast whatsoever (except the narrator guy). But that's fine, I'll just continue watching that version.

Rolling Eyes Ok. If you say so.

It's really obvious the japanese cast did a great job, dubs can be very good, good, bad or really bad, they'll never compete with the original (as a german dub, for example, of Game of Thrones, will never be better than the original version).
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I didn't want to make a huge quote post but I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my comment as I received quite a bunch of replies with a lot of information and will check out the many links and such later on today. Thank you very much again!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
While it may be pricey at 12 volumes I think a better place to start with Universal Century is to read the Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin manga. All of the volumes are available in English. It retells the first season of the anime in a more modern language of manga readers, there's lots of hindsight, things are tweaked and updated and there's much more backstory on Char and Sayla.

They've animated all of the back story arcs on Origin and there's talk of them animating the entire thing. Which is another reason why I wouldn't start the 79 series right now. Maybe after you read the manga if you want since it's a great compliment to it.

The original anime does not hold up very well and for me it's difficult to recommend. The compilation movies are better, but the problem with those is they dump information on you so fast if you haven't seen the series before you won't retain much.

If you finish the manga you can jump right in to Zeta Gundam and ZZ which are currently airing on YouTube LEGALLY AND FOR FREE! I don't imagine they will be up there forever though. After that you can watch Char's Counterattack if you want and that's the main stuff for Universal century.
GundamZX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm not a crazy fan of Wing but thought I would get it when it said limited edition if it was under $100. I almost spit my drink out when I saw it was $175
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

It's really obvious the japanese cast did a great job, dubs can be very good, good, bad or really bad, they'll never compete with the original (as a german dub, for example, of Game of Thrones, will never be better than the original version).

Dubs will never compete with the original? What a bunch of nonsense. Many dubs are on par if not better then the original voice work. It all comes to tastes at the end, but don't go spouting nonsense has facts.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Stopped reading there. His voice cracked all the time.

What are you talking about? No it didn't.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Subs and dubs are case by case with me, but if you don't have a preference for Gundam I would stick with subs.

Two reasons. A lot of the actors remain throughout from production to production and even reprise their roles for video games. That doesn't happen in English. We already have like 3 to 4 Chars while Shuichi Ikeda has been voicing him in everything since 1979, even voicing Full Frontal in Unicorn.

The other reason is there is still a lot of Gundam that was done during the "dark age of dubbing." Names get mispronounced in Wing, 8th MS Team and others. Some of the dubs are so bad that Seed and Seed Destiny are getting re-dubbed. Something you wouldn't even have to bother with if you just watched it subbed.

Now if you put a gun to my head and asked me which production you should watch in English if any I would say Thunderbolt. Only because that was clearly made for English speaking audiences. Yeah, you have to hear Johnny Yong Bosch for the bajillionth time, but he gets a lot of work because he's good. He recorded all of his lines for Thunderbolt in two hours which is just insane.

Last edited by SrkSano on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Some of the dubs are so bad that Seed and Seed Destiny are getting re-dubbed. Something you wouldn't even have to bother with if you just watched it subbed.

That sounds more like your own personal projections. If Sunrise and Bandai hated SEED's dub so much, they wouldn't have brought that cast back for Destiny. There are far worse dubs that they're okaying to re-release with Nozomi (Zeta, Build Fighter, spoiler[Wing]). They're redubbing those two because of the HD re-edit. They're too cheap to pay union rates for the original cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5