• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dies Irae

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
While I have no doubt that the VN is superior and the anime is suffering primarily because there simply aren't enough episodes to do it justice, I also have to say that as someone not familiar with the source material, I am coming to enjoy this. It's taken a while, but I'm starting to really get into the story.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^While I don't doubt that it is a poor adaptation, I'm not confident that adding even more prose from the VN over additional episodes would be desirable or even doable. Some things just don't work as well in anime as they do in their original medium.

About the prose, I referring about the characteristic highly descriptive and passionate aspect of the overall presentation of the VN as a whole with each of its respective elements. Be them characters, motivations for those, story in general, narrative, dialogues, battle descriptions (which could be adapted nicely visually, much like the Fate Series was), and the list goes on.

The thing is:
It actually would be doable to an extent (it IS adaptable, and it's supposed to be a slow burner at least until things actually start exploding in epicness), but it would take several episodes to do so in a way that would make good use of the storytelling and highly imaginative presentation style in the VN.

I would say, it would take something along the lines of the second half of the Chimera Ants arc in "HunterxHunter (2011)" or maybe even "Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu" style of presentation, except in monologue format (both of which are great in that regard, as a narrative exposition) for specific parts, and there'ì would be quite a bit of content that could be trimmed to fit those things in a comfortable pacing (a.k.a. not to the point of dragging besides going slower). By the way, they kinda did it in certain parts, really, but only barely. And believe me, it would be way more interesting and satisfying than what we got, being as incompatible with the medium as a visual novel could get or not.

Alternatively, we could get it the Shaft approach instead, which is perfect to adapt monologue, narrative and dialogue heavy works, like the Monogatari Series, in an actual fast pacing at that. I wonder the great things that could come from Shaft (the Shinbo guy from Shaft, to be exact) if they ever decided to start adapting visual novels like this in their style.

Is just that this is one story that doesn't work properly without its presentation, characterization and storytelling (none of each is quite present in the anime adaptation). Monogatari style could in fact be my best bet, not that the budget would suffice however, nor the number of episodes, even in that case (though the results would have been already better than what we got).

The reason for this is that this is a "kickstarted" anime project, I would say a passion project of a sort (as a big fan I can see that much, despite everything going wrong in the process).

But it could have been better in a more fortunate circumstance. In any case, it's already better than nothing, it's just a shame it will get quite an infamous reputation (if it didn't already get).

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
While I have no doubt that the VN is superior and the anime is suffering primarily because there simply aren't enough episodes to do it justice, I also have to say that as someone not familiar with the source material, I am coming to enjoy this. It's taken a while, but I'm starting to really get into the story.

Happy to hear that, as I'm enjoying it myself besides knowing most of what is going wrong with it (in any case they could still actually adapt nicely the later parts, so I putting my faith on the rest of the adaptation for now).

That may be because they are actually putting a good effort in adapting most of the essential they can in here. The execution will probably be what ruins the experience for most of the viewers, but they are kinda going quite well for such a limited run of an adaptation.

Compared to what we got with Rewrite not so long ago, this is actually good in a way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
I also give the show props for what it is doing on its crowdfunded budget. It's producing 18 episodes at anywhere from a third to half of what a "normally" financed 1-cours would cost. You can see the impact of that, but not to the extent that I would have assumed.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
until this ep, I had though Shirou was kidnapped by the evil organization so they could make him a host for Heydrich. He kinda looks like him and one thought that ran thought my head was maybe he's been missing for over half a century is because he can't manifest without breaking reality so a host would be needed. or something like that. and if you want a provoke some poor random guy into a fight, what better way to get that going by making him think he'll be saving his friend if he wins
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
^
My pet theory was that Shirou had willingly joined the evil organisation to gain power for himself, but otherwise my thoughts aligned with yours. No better way to wring drama out of a story than to have the hero's best friend becoming an enemy.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it should've been a no brainer that this show wasn't gonna get better. Confused
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally say this, but I appreciate the info dump we got in ep 7. That made a lot of things clearer and at least partially confirmed my earlier thoughts on Heydrich. The guy currently cant properly manifest into this world since he'll break reality, but he doesn't need Shiro for that. just a lot of dead people
Joa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I think it's worth mentioning that there aren't any mecha skeletons in the visual novel, they're anime original. I'm guessing that they added them to make the fights more visually interesting.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This show just loves throwing random bits of information at us in hopes that it'll stick. Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I was mostly wondering why Marie was walking barefoot on the balls of her feet when she was talking to Ren on the roof of the hospital. Well, if there were any other reason than the one I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure she generally wore shoes previously, though I'm not interested enough to look into that further.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I forgot to bring that up and also thought it was pointlessly odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As it stands, this anime hasn't done anywhere near enough work in forming a solid foundation for its world-building or connecting its puzzle pieces in a comprehensible way.

This is the problem with only adapting the third route of the VN. In the VN you're supposed to already know the characters and concepts by this point from the first two routes. The anime did add some exposition and characterization from the other three routes, but not nearly enough, so it's just a confusing mess.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Great news everybody.. /s

There are six more episodes...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at the official website to see when the web episodes will be out and apparently the answer is...July. Maybe the extra time will improve the production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4