• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Stuck Between Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I like it when characters age, but not necessarily in real time with the audience. If characters aged 1:1 with their audience, the original series Sailor Senshi, who were in their early teens in the early 1990s, would be pushing 40 now, and the idea of middle-aged Sailor Senshi is kind of depressing. spoiler[Yeah, I know aging within Sailor Moon's world gets weird with the whole Silver Millennium thing, where characters a thousand or so years in the future appear to have stopped aging in their early twenties, although does that mean Crystal Tokyo was supposed to have been established in the early 2000s in the original series' timeline?]

I like the WataMote manga style of aging, where Tomoko's now two years older compared to when the manga started, but it took six or seven years of publishing time. And, speaking of WataMote, while it's not quite on the scale of some of the delayed sequels mentioned in the article and the comments, a sequel series is more than overdue given that there's enough manga source material for two cours without needing to pad anything out with filler. spoiler[Forget Kenshin, WataMote's Kyoto arc is the only one that matters to me anymore.]

EricJ2 wrote:

Still, at least you didn't give into the easy temptation to see Jumanji: Welcome to the Default December Movie instead.

I wasn't interested in seeing the Jumanji sequel before but now I'm kind of curious seeing as how it has ridiculous "legs" and will likely end with an outstanding 10x multiplier (total domestic box office divided by opening weekend) and the word of mouth I'm hearing is mostly positive, even from skeptics.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Why do you have to? I can name recent anime series where the immediate sequel seasons are completely different in look and feel like the Star Wars Prequels but are still accepted. Why do they work? They have something to say beyond "Remember this?" They continue the story, develop the characters and not just run them into the ground.
As long as the execution is good and there is buildup, people will accept your new ideas. I can't stand any of the Star Wars movies, they all feel boring though I adore the Clone Wars television series. It keeps bringing back what many see as stupid ideas and making them work. The result feels super rewarding.

Any two interpretations of a property can be compared and contrasted but without a strong leg to stand on, said interpretation's arguments will fall apart.

Speaking of being stuck between sequels, what about that status quo?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Still, at least you didn't give into the easy temptation to see Jumanji: Welcome to the Default December Movie instead.

I wasn't interested in seeing the Jumanji sequel before but now I'm kind of curious seeing as how it has ridiculous "legs" and will likely end with an outstanding 10x multiplier (total domestic box office divided by opening weekend) and the word of mouth I'm hearing is mostly positive, even from skeptics.[/spoiler]

It's pretty much making its, quote, "legs" on being the ONLY big studio family-film to hit Christmas (usually we'd be getting an Alvin sequel about now, but Fox has given up on their Christmas CGI-hybrid kiddy movies, and nobody went to see Ferdinand), not to mention the obvious fact that no one wanted to go back to see Last Jedi.

Some studios might have forgotten that parents always wait until after-Christmas school vacation and early January to go near a shopping-mall cineplex again, but Sony remembered.
Basically, "It wouldn't be Christmas without big-studio-budget Jack Black", but at least this one is less obnoxious than that "Gulliver's Travels" thing that got Fox out of the habit.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I like the WataMote manga style of aging, where Tomoko's now two years older compared to when the manga started, but it took six or seven years of publishing time. And, speaking of WataMote, while it's not quite on the scale of some of the delayed sequels mentioned in the article and the comments, a sequel series is more than overdue given that there's enough manga source material for two cours without needing to pad anything out with filler.

As much as I love poor Tomoko, I wouldn't hold my breath; IIRC, sales in Japan were not good. It wouldn't surprise me if the US release made more, even with the cost of dubbing. (On that note, I think Izumi Kitta and Monica Rial both did a great job!)

As for my choice, it's the Tylor OVA, which begs to be finished right!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
rob_krol wrote:
I wan't sequel to Rune Soldier that was great show and be great see more adventures of louie

You and me both! Especially given the end, where spoiler[Louie and his long-suffering party are on the run after obliterating the royal palace--but the king just wants to reward him for saving his throne! That, and the king has sent his son to track Louie down...]

"This is SO against my will!"
nino56754659

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
...but taichi joined the workforce and have loving company. Or even if he doesn't...
only daisuke started his own noodle business.
He is not waiting for jobs handed to his ass.
Go read inio asano or honey and clover if you are into life confusion..

You sure you watched the whole D1-D2 series?
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:04 am Reply with quote
I want a sequel or reboot of Kyo Kara Maoh! It is an old twist and parody of BL and transported to another world light novel tropes. I wish Crunchyroll would stream it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the eleven year gap between 2004's Fafner in the Azure and its 2015 sequel Fafner in the Azure: Exodus!
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
If they were ever going to do anything new with The Big O, a Cowboy Bebop The Movie type deal that fits in with the themes but doesn't mess too much with the plot would be my way to go.

Frankly, why not mess with the plot? The end is an absolute clusterf*ck and makes, depending on your point of view, either no sense or it's just kinda crappy. The movie treatment would work well though, tell a nice little story, wrap up all the story's loose ends in a neat bow, badda bing badda boom.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
A Fruits Basket reboot would be nice, but that's also unlikely.

Animegomaniac wrote:
What would I like to see as real sequels and not just nostalgia bait Remakes and Reboots? Haruhi Suzumiya but that's a given honestly, School Rumble, Fruits Basket and, sure Skip Beat.

Go google "Fruits Basket Another". It's a 3-volume sequel from 2015 and it's a nice read, but nearly impossible to find, since it started digital-only.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Bastard!! - There's 27 volumes of manga and over 30 million copies in print in Japan, and all we ever got was that one aborted OVA 25 years ago.

Claymore - The other 27 volume dark fantasy series that never got fully adapted. Instead it got half-adapted with an anime-original ending. Would love to see the rest of it adapted sometime, even though I know it'll never happen since it wasn't that popular in Japan.

Haruhi Suzumiya - Echoing others on the thread, the entire second half of the light novel series is sitting there waiting for someone to bring those stories to the screen (well okay, they can skip "Where Did the Cat Go?" because that story sucked).

Princess Resurrection - The anime adaptation came out early in the manga's run and the main plot of the series (the battle over the royal succession) had barely gotten going at the point where it ended. I'd love to see a redone anime version centered around telling that story, most of which is in the later (unadapted) volumes.

Those are the main ones for me in the "10+ years ago" category.
Color2413

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the eleven year gap between 2004's Fafner in the Azure and its 2015 sequel Fafner in the Azure: Exodus!

Indeed. Or that there is no word yet on exactly what "Fafner: The Beyond" actually will be, despite its being announced over a year ago.

As for "dream sequels," I would like to see a "No. 6" OVA that resolves the bittersweet non-ending of the original. However, given that author Atsuko Asano has not weighed in on what the resolution might look like, I don't have much hope that an OVA could happen.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
I like the WataMote manga style of aging, where Tomoko's now two years older compared to when the manga started, but it took six or seven years of publishing time. And, speaking of WataMote, while it's not quite on the scale of some of the delayed sequels mentioned in the article and the comments, a sequel series is more than overdue given that there's enough manga source material for two cours without needing to pad anything out with filler.

As much as I love poor Tomoko, I wouldn't hold my breath; IIRC, sales in Japan were not good. It wouldn't surprise me if the US release made more, even with the cost of dubbing. (On that note, I think Izumi Kitta and Monica Rial both did a great job!)

As for my choice, it's the Tylor OVA, which begs to be finished right!

Its more of a spinoff and a short, but they did make a sequel to Tylor , just that it takes place 100s if not 1000s of years in the future.

Shows that I think need sequels or at least would want:

Crest of the Stars
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarock
Index 3
Final Devil Bread Arc of Yakitate Japan
Tenchi Muyo/Geminar (honestly while not as good as the originally I like 3, and am waiting for a dub of 4)
Demonbane
Any Isekai/fantasy Adaptation ( I get tired of these one cours, that cover the first 3-4 volumes and then rinse and repeat the process with the next one instead of continuing previous works - ex Unbreakable Machine Doll, Dragonar Academy, Black Bullet, Blade Elementars, unlimited fafnir, world break, bahamut etc)
Date A live 3/Strike the Blood 3
Dance in the Vampire Bund 2
Gundam Seed 3 or Movie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3