• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Has Black Clover Gotten Better?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

I dont think people should somehow kid themselves into thinking if it somehow did 5 to 8 chapters an episode that BLack Clover would magically be an ultra original series.

No... I don't think anyone is saying that at all. Just that it would probably be less boring if it weren't moving at such a obvious slow pace. Which was the problem in those first episodes was that it was incredibly obvious the show was stalling.

Яeverse wrote:

Part of its enjoyment is how familiar and comfortable it is. Nothing needs to be groundbreaking to be entertaining. Just see heroaca a series capitalizing on marvels heavy innudation of superheroes (and also, in the writers words, inspired by naruto) and not doing anything new to see how something generic and familiar has become popular and saved horikoshi from failing for his third jump attempt as an example.

I don't think anyone denies that My Hero follows it's own set of Shonen conventions, that is the reason why it is popular as well. Just that the series does those troupes well. Just because Black Clover does the same thing doesn't mean they have the same quality.

Edit: That is what happens when typing late at night.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
For the sake of clarity, I don't think that just upping the amount of material covered per-episode is what was necessary to make the anime better. I used to episode-to-chapter comparison because it's an easily understandable, quantifiable example of Black Clover's pretty darn slow pacing. But I don't think a slower approach to the material is necessarily a bad thing - just that how it's turned out in BC's anime has been pretty poor all things considered.

As I said in the column, the manga's speedy pacing is both its biggest strength and greatest weakness for me. It's good because it means every chapter always has something new and there's very little down time where the series spins its wheels or pads for time between arcs. But it also means a lot of the story telling feels overly condensed - we'll get something like Luck's focus chapter where we learn his backstory and how it informs his conflict and then have that conflict resolved just pages later. Even if the writing itself were sharper, that's just not enough time to establish the stakes for the audience before you wrap it all up, so it feels underwhelming.

So if the anime wanted to take a slower approach to the story, there's plenty of ways they could do that. To use the example of Luck, maybe the show could give us some more information about him beforehand, or establish in an earlier segment that he doesn't like working with other people while raising the question of why that might be. This would mean adding to and altering the source material, but it would go a long way to make his "I had friends all along" moment feel less spontaneous and more organic.

Instead, the anime's mostly chosen to stretch scenes out with repeating gags, adding nominally original scenes of characters interacting but not ever expanding on what we already know about them, and pad each episode with recaps. And that's just not very compelling. As a result the anime ends up losing the manga's strengths while keeping all its weaknesses.

I should not that in recent episodes this has changed some. Partly it's that they're moving to stronger material and finally have a larger ensemble cast to fill time without constant repetition, but the last 2 episodes have felt much more strongly structure and composed where others haven't. Even in an episode where no real action occurs like Ep 20, it still felt like there was more substance than I'd grown accustomed to from this show.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Sadly I got bored of this series really quickly. Like, really quickly. I lasted maybe 5 chapters into the manga and 3 episodes of the anime. At the least, the art of the manga is really good imo

I’m usually very forgiving and patient with shounen (some of my fave series of all time are shounens) but holy hell I felt absolutely nothing for Black Cover. The characters are stock, the universe is standard, and not even the magic is creative. For comparison, Fairy Tail may have an Everest of flaws and I was so sick of it’s storytelling, but I can’t deny a lot of the spells were fun.

BC isn’t a bad shounen, it’s just....One if the most generic out there? It’s like you took every trope associated with the genre and watered it down to its most basic level. No subversion, no experimenting, just straight up you get what you see. It doesn’t make for the most terrible story, but it doesn’t make for an exciting one either.

With that said, I don’t doubt that it gets better eventually, so maybe one day I’ll give BC one more chance. But, as of now I’m definitely indifferent toward it.
pauladls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
My problem is the character designs, they look ugly, i hate nu pierrot
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, is it really barely 1 chapter per episode? Guess they're planning for the long haul.
Well, still enjoying the manga, so guess I'll just wait for some of the more entertaining arcs to be animated
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

@jr240483 As for the possibility of a tsundere female lead, I don't think it is that much of a long shot, given Inu x Boku SS had just that, and I thought it was an interesting exploration of the character type for it, among other things. While it wasn't Jump, it did run in a shonen magazine. Doesn't hurt that the lead role naturally lent her more interiority than most such characters get. Also it seems odd to dismiss the idea of a tsundere female lead for annoying people time to time, when many find Asta annoying, period.

well during the pre naruto days i would agree with you, however considering how many people despised sakura haruno from the beginning of the series before getting a major overhaul in vol 27 of the series (start of naruto shippuden) and she was definitely a tsundere character to a tee, it pretty much gave the impression that all tsundere female characters a bad rap.

that and they have been overly used too many times for harem based series.

though they have been some exceptions to the rules, though mainly for tsundere girls that are the headstrong types that actually helps the MC and who people can ACTUALLY like.

specifically tsunderes like chitoge from nisekoi or keiko from yu yu hakusho or even asuna from negima and naru from love hina. they were ALL tsunderes to a tee (not as arrogant as noelle) but they helped the MC developed later on in life and weren't annoying as hell. and they were well liked by the fanbase of those series as well.

also not everyone find asta annoying. i mean if that was case,then they would be saying the exact same thing for other shonen jump MC underdogs like the younger naruto and even monkey d luffy who are pretty much identical persona wise (which have been a staple point for shonen jump MC's) and have that overambitious dreams to accomplish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Asta’s personality isn’t why people find him annoying. It’s his voice and particularly how he is ALWAYS YELLING. Certainly not everyone finds him annoying and I don’t even find him so, but it is easy to see how he can be grating, not just from time to time but continuously.

I’ll also say many don’t find tsunderes annoying, hence their continuing prevalence. While Noelle was arrogant in the beginning, that’s gone by the wayside after the arc where they protected that village and is mitigated by her family’s severe disdain for her.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Asta’s personality isn’t why people find him annoying. It’s his voice and particularly how he is ALWAYS YELLING. Certainly not everyone finds him annoying and I don’t even find him so, but it is easy to see how he can be grating, not just from time to time but continuously.

that depends on which version your watching. if its the japanese version then yes. but the english dub version of asta is fine and is anything but annoying.

even the highly critical japanese fans prefer english dub asta at this time which is just as i said. an extreme rarity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
The pacing is genuinely awful. Its like watching modern One Piece & I hate modern One Piece. There's a reason why One Piece was canned from Toonami.

You mean other than the fact it was never hugely popular in spite of having three separate runs on TV?
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Sadly I got bored of this series really quickly. Like, really quickly. I lasted maybe 5 chapters into the manga and 3 episodes of the anime. At the least, the art of the manga is really good imo

I’m usually very forgiving and patient with shounen (some of my fave series of all time are shounens) but holy hell I felt absolutely nothing for Black Cover. The characters are stock, the universe is standard, and not even the magic is creative. For comparison, Fairy Tail may have an Everest of flaws and I was so sick of it’s storytelling, but I can’t deny a lot of the spells were fun.

BC isn’t a bad shounen, it’s just....One if the most generic out there? It’s like you took every trope associated with the genre and watered it down to its most basic level. No subversion, no experimenting, just straight up you get what you see. It doesn’t make for the most terrible story, but it doesn’t make for an exciting one either.

With that said, I don’t doubt that it gets better eventually, so maybe one day I’ll give BC one more chance. But, as of now I’m definitely indifferent toward it.

I totally agree with you. I am also forgiving of series with its flaws. Black Clover is NOT a perfect series, let alone a shonen one. However while the characters are walking tropes with no subversion or anything experimenting, other than to take what's popular. I'll give the series and the author this: he does give the stock characters, or supporting cast time to shine if a little bit.

The problem with this series the most is that he doesn't flesh out more about the characters a bit more or make us care why. He also has a issue with the world building aspect of Black Clover and its magic system. For example if Asta's black 5 leaf grimoire is such a rare one or something never been seen before, why isn't people like in shock or awestruck like they would want to learn more about, such as the Anti-magic.
It has a few memorable characters that help make this series stand and one of the redeeming factors for this series flaws or 'holes', especially the ones with personality such as Noelle who is pretty interesting (she is what a tsundere should be and not as grating on the nerves) and Yami (whom I consider almost the Gintoki and All Might of Black Clover).

Well it gets slightly better and different as the series progress but it doesn't go beyond.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:
The problem with this series the most is that he doesn't flesh out more about the characters a bit more or make us care why. He also has a issue with the world building aspect of Black Clover and its magic system. For example if Asta's black 5 leaf grimoire is such a rare one or something never been seen before, why isn't people like in shock or awestruck like they would want to learn more about, such as the Anti-magic.

Actually, they do: As the series goes on, people start paying more attention to Asta's anti-magic. It's just that Asta has to first demonstrate his anti-magic's effectiveness, namely his ability to prevail over skilled magic users. The Clover Kingdom's culture teaches people that their potential is proportional to the magic they can do, and they initially see Asta, a person with zero magic, as someone with zero potential. As literally everyone else in the country can use magic but he can't, the people who haven't witnessed Asta in action view him as a disabled person.

There are real-world examples of this, namely that guy missing a hand who wanted to play American football and has made it to at least the NFL Combine. Despite him setting speed and endurance records in college football, he was not taken seriously because he was missing a hand, having spent three years as a bench warmer--it was only when his university got a new coach who wanted to see what he could do that he proved himself, being the key to them winning game after game. It was only then that he was able to progress further--and even then, he has to prove that he could play just as well as anyone else to each person supervising him, one by one. The notion of "He only has one hand; he can't play football" is so ingrained into people when they see him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3