• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devilman Crybaby Staff Teases 'Important Announcement'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I'd so watch a Masaaki Yuasa directed Berserk. I'd imagine a lot of Berserk fans would still hate it but it would be actually watchable compared to that 3D dreck from last year.

And I'd even watch a Masaaki Yuasa directed Urotsukidoji. That actually could be really interesting.

Devilman CryLady would be interesting if Masa could only make it actually good, because god that shit was terrible. One of the few things I hate read ever.

My vote would also be that this is most likely Violence Jack.

A remake of the Urotsukidoji anime (not the original manga) is something that I believe would work well as a horror with most of the onscreen sex/rape removed and instead done in an off-screen manner.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If Aniplex is producing this next one again like Devilman Crybaby, I hope they can work CR/Funi for the streaming license (and that CR/Funi/VRV can cough up the money), rather than Netflix getting the license. But then again, in terms of Go Nagai adaptations, Sentai got Cutey Honey, so who knows. Assuming the announcement will be a TV show of course.

Screw that. The show got popular because it was on Netflix. Any Violence Jack adaptation would need to be there too.
asukas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I unrionically want Shin Devilman lmao
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If Aniplex is producing this next one again like Devilman Crybaby, I hope they can work CR/Funi for the streaming license (and that CR/Funi/VRV can cough up the money), rather than Netflix getting the license. But then again, in terms of Go Nagai adaptations, Sentai got Cutey Honey, so who knows. Assuming the announcement will be a TV show of course.

Netflix greenlit the series, I assume because no network wanted to give it the light of day (not even AT-X, who air uncensored material). Plus Crunchyroll hasn't reached that path yet.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
configspace wrote:

Netflix greenlit the series, I assume because no network wanted to give it the light of day (not even AT-X, who air uncensored material). Plus Crunchyroll hasn't reached that path yet.

Nope, Netflix did not "greelit the series" at all. Aniplex did. They were not involved in actually making and planning of the anime. Its planning and production was already underway before Netflix licensed, or at most sponsored the show. First of all, it's not even Netflix's property to greenlight, as Devilman Crybaby belongs to Kodansha (Go Nagai's publisher). Second, Netflix is no where to be found in the actual production credits (製作). For this show, the production credits go to Aniplex and Dynamic Planning (see also ANN's encyclopedia entry) Netflix is only listed as "Associated by" (likely in reference to their streaming exclusivity)

The bluray set this event is for is by Aniplex (Catalog No. ANZX-14231), the release is by Aniplex. In contrast for the small handful of titles Funimation was involved in actually producing the anime in the past, they were actually credited as one of the producers.
If Netflix greenlit the show, then that means that Aniplex and US licensors for the blurays would have to license from Netflix, but obviously, that's not the case. They have no say whatsoever. In this case again, it's Aniplex who's the licensor.

Only the few and upcoming BONES and Production IG (and its subsidiaries) original works--not adaptations-- that premier on Netflix are Netflix co-productions. Their Jan 2018 announcement which was after all the past licenses (not productions) only indicated these two collaborations as when and with who the co-productions would start. Thus far, until this announcement specifically with these companies, none of their prior anime streams were co-productions. Ultimately for any show you really have to look at the credits.

As for who gets it and channels, etc. It all purely comes down to money. It has nothing to do with how mature it is. In terms of violence no station has no issue whatsoever especially late night, and live action movies are routinely shown uncensored in Japan. In terms of sex the censoring is purely for bluray sales and AT-X gets them uncesnored because they're a premium subscriber channel. I will refer you to how Lupin III Fujiko Mine was aired on mainstream terrestrial broadcast TV station NHK completely uncensored, which was how Funimation was also able to simulcast it uncensored.

As for CR, look at Parasyte, Terraformars' uncensored version, My Wife is the Student Council President+! uncensored version as well as whole host of non-simulcast catalog titles (Highschool DxD to the oldies like Akira movie, etc)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is Devilman doesn’t get a tenth as popular if it’s not on Netflix as a Netflix original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3