• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Well Paid Are Dub Voice Actors?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It's really only the Canadian anime dubs that are more often than not union productions. The rates I posted on the first page are from two CBAs. That's why you rarely hear them in anime that doesn't have a merch line and a TV deal.

Quick question: What's the CBA you're referring to? I did a search and got a pile of answers in return; That's a popular Canadian acronym.

I usually look right at ACTRA's website. That first chart you have is pretty close to what they have, though they've only got up to 2018 listed.

I think that the decline of linear tv, and the near death of anime on said tv, has really taken the meat out of Canadian dubbing since Can Con rules were a big push towards making sure dubs had a guaranteed market.

I am genuinely interested to see if the push to get streaming services, including Netflix, under the banner of Can Con is successful and if it will reinvigorate anime dubbing up here.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement.

What I posted is from the latest UBCP ACTRA and CLAC documents.

I question how much influence Canadian content quotas on television have played in terms of spurring production. While there are a few dubs our broadcasters have directly commissioned, the truth of the matter is that the majority of Canadian anime dubs have never aired on TV locally. This was especially the case during the anime boom of the late '90s to mid '00s, when Ocean was at peak production (to such a degree that they'd need to book studio time at locations they didn't own to get around schedule conflicts). Canadian dubs have helped shows stay on the air longer and perhaps get more prominent positioning, but even now, of the three English language anime shows airing on Canadian TV, only one is a local production.

I wouldn't really look at Netflix to fix that either. Even though our local industry is demanding it, no one in government wants to lobby for a Netflix tax because it's an immensely unpopular idea among the general populace. The best they've been able to muscle so far is a $500 million production commitment, which is obviously peanuts to that company. While anime dubs could be covered under that (we've gotten suggestions that such innovative concepts like Vancouver playing Seattle are eligible), there's mixed messages on who actually handles the production of Netflix's dubs. I've been told that more often than not, it's the Japanese production houses themselves, which is why they tend to go to one stop shops like SDI, Technicolor or BTI Studios, no matter the quality, to do all the foreign versions. Some of those companies do have Canadian offices, but they don't get used for anime (there was some controversy a few years back as Netflix started cutting back on Quebec-produced French dubs for live action). Amusingly, the Japanese government has likely done more to spur Canadian dubs than our own. A handful of Ocean's recent productions have received funding through J-LOP.

I do agree with the sentiment, though. The R1 industry seems to no longer have delusions of grandeur. They're happy with the niche they've carved, so there's no need to try to land a lavish TV or merch deal. No need to pay big bucks for voice actors either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3