• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shin Evangelion Film's Teaser Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Only problem I have with 3.33 is that it raises a million questions and doesn't answer any of them (similar to Star Wars VII). So it feels like they've written themselves into a corner and they're setting up the next movie to seriously fail. It makes you ask "where can they go from here?" I'll be very impressed if they manage to turn the story back around to something that is interesting and that audiences enjoy. And if they do then it will probably improve people's opinion on 3.33.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If the biggest flaw of 3.0 is that it was different from the source material, that's pretty much why I like the movie as much as I do. I feel like all the reasons I've seen fans give for hating 3.0 are why I enjoy it so I don't really get the hate for it.

Well, I have to rewatch it again as I haven't seen it in some two years now, and I am actually not a super-fan of the original series, but basically for me it went like this:

1.) I was already a little irked by how rushed the Third Impact event was done in 2.22 and how certain characters, especially Toji, weren't given bigger roles in the interim period since this was a new telling going in new directions. These were things I thought could have been improved even in the original series.

2.) The fast-forwarding at the start of 3.33 is fine enough in theory, creating equal disorientation for viewers and Shinji, but it essentially soft-resets the Evangelion world in the middle of what is to be a rather short movie series (that is already starting to feel rushed at this point) for largely shock value. WILLE is a really interesting concept within the context of the franchise--an Anti-NERV. Visually, they've got solid design work and they've got a really crazy "from-out-of-nowhere" bird ship that's pretty neat. The problem is, for all the new and established characters in this organization, they don't do much in the film, they don't get much exposition about their development, and they feel sort of irrelevant by the end of it. Moreover, the way the new characters' uniforms were designed, I was getting RahXephon TERRA vibes, and was expecting them to be highly utilized and central to the new EVA world being established in 3.33. I expected them to have their own new EVA units or pseudo-EVA units to tackle what NERV was cooking up. (Kind of like the Vermillion units in RahXephon.) But really they were just there to ferry Shinji to one long info-dump dialogue with the leftovers of NERV. There was a lot of potential seemingly wasted. So little of the outside world was shown or developed in 3.33, that WILLE's existence felt disconnected and less impactful than it should have. So why reset and reestablish at all? Which brings me to...

3.) These are movies at the end of the day, and the first two were very cinematic. But 3.33, on the whole, was not. It's not without some big moments, but they felt less tangible/earned in their importance. Most of the movie, as I recall, was close-in dialogue in nondescript environments. It feels more like an extended TV episode, perhaps even a recap episode. And not a particularly coherent one, at that.

4.) The release timing of this movie, especially in terms of a North American home video release, took forever, building up anticipation for something that would really knock one's socks off...and the results were very mixed at best. Not a big deal, but worth noting for those who waited.

5.) But finally, it made me wonder, what is the point of these movies? Business-wise, it's obviously to establish Khara and its animation techniques...but in terms of EVA, I thought it was to kind of drill down and tell a more cohesive vision of what the larger world and story of EVA was about outside of the tragic psychological aspects. But 3.33's "explanations" were done in the most uninspired ways that were still rather obfuscated and cryptic, especially since one thought the new characters like Mari would be there to add a meaningful new wrinkle that would tie things together story-wise more globally. Most characters just seem like they're on the set rather than being actual characters at this point. It seems to me that EVA is sort of back where it started in many ways, which is a shame. I thought we'd get more than just a minor tweaking of End of Evangelion out of all this. I thought it'd be a more coherent, balanced, and accessible version of Evangelion told with a more rounded humanity and numerous visual thrills. It's gotten there in spurts, but the overall trajectory with 3.33 left me disappointed and uncertain.

Then again, 4.0 was supposed to be shown with 3.0, so maybe that's why 3.0 seems so "off" in the larger scheme of things. Those were the main things for me. It was really about the execution of it all. But again, it was somewhat based upon expectations the early films left me with.

russ869 wrote:
Only problem I have with 3.33 is that it raises a million questions and doesn't answer any of them (similar to Star Wars VII). So it feels like they've written themselves into a corner and they're setting up the next movie to seriously fail. It makes you ask "where can they go from here?" I'll be very impressed if they manage to turn the story back around to something that is interesting and that audiences enjoy. And if they do then it will probably improve people's opinion on 3.33.

This is another way of putting it. I mean, as I understand it from where we left off, all that's left is a potential big battle with SEELE or something? Actually, it's equally like Star Wars: Episode VIII, where it blew up what it had been reestablishing in the course of one movie.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If the biggest flaw of 3.0 is that it was different from the source material, that's pretty much why I like the movie as much as I do. I feel like all the reasons I've seen fans give for hating 3.0 are why I enjoy it so I don't really get the hate for it.
Sure, that's legit. I mean the flaw isn't that it's different from the source material, it's that it puts up a ton of ideas and plot threads and questions, then rushes through an unearned arc that doesn't answer pretty much any of those questions. The previous 2 movies had that same flaw, it's just that they could rely on my familiarity with the prior material, so they had a bit of crutch that 3.33 doesn't. If 3.33 had diverged wildly from the original, but properly explored this new world and the new challenges the characters were facing, I think I would have loved it. But that's not really what happened.

But hey, if you liked it that's great. I don't think anyone here is trying to change your mind, we're just talking about our own experiences with these reboots to try and modulate our hype level for number 4.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'm tremendously wary of this installment after the up-its-own-backside surrealism of 3.33, but if it somehow manages to deliver a mostly coherent story I'll call it a good day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3