• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Premieres Dr. Stone Anime on August 24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
I think Lupin has the same problem One Piece had that it's become such a long series that casual fans find it intimidating to watch and casual fans don't know where to start watching. I also think maybe marking the newer seasons as "Part IV" and "Part V" probably didn't help and maybe made fans think they had to go back and watch all the old episodes to watch the newer stuff.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

How would you feel if someone called Lupin "garbage"?

You could say it. You’d just be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
You've made your point. Time to move on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think Lupin has the same problem One Piece had that it's become such a long series that casual fans find it intimidating to watch and casual fans don't know where to start watching. I also think maybe marking the newer seasons as "Part IV" and "Part V" probably didn't help and maybe made fans think they had to go back and watch all the old episodes to watch the newer stuff.

Well look at Adult Swim starting with Part II before Part I because it’s what Geneon Dubbed with no Part I in sight in America at the time. Also no Part III and still not brought over to America. With Part II, the 1st episode was about a reunion with the main characters. It made no sense at the time but I still enjoyed staying up to watch it on Adult Swim even if it was on school nights.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Poor Lupin. From 12:30 to 3:30.

Honestly, Gundam is doing worse than Lupin and set the new record for the lowest-rated Toonami premiere of all time. Put Lupin at the even 3am and Gundam at 3:30. (I know that's not much better, but it makes more sense than knocking Lupin to the last premiere slot.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

If Toonami "hated" Lupin, they wouldn't have even picked up Part 5 after Part 4 underperformed.

I mean Part 2 wasn't exactly a ratings hit on Adult Swim back in the day.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't started the series yet because I had a feeling Toonami would be getting it so thats awesome, But guess ill have to finish Lupin online cause I dont want to be up till 3 to watch it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure how it is MHA is consistently the number one selling comic in the US every month but simultaneously Toonami keeps pushing back the anime later and later. Dr. Stone though is a great show and one of my favorites of the summer season and the dub is really good too.

The ratings are around where One Piece was before it left Toonami. I think it is a show that wond up on Toonami a bit too late.

That would be my guess. For a while, it baffled me that it could go from the first slot to the last, but even the most recent season they aired is about a year old now. Assuming Toonami picks up season 4, maybe they'll have learned from it to air the episodes a few weeks after the simuldub like they've done with other shows.

Personally speaking, I suppose it doesn't matter for me since about half of Toonami tends to be things I've seen already. Although, it would be nice if those shows were towards the end of the block so I would be less likely to fall asleep during the shows I haven't seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3