• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss Café Serves 'Liquid Extracted from Reg'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Kirki wrote:
What is it with Made in Abyss and urine already

You're not to far into the manga then- 'cause it's all about the fecal matter more than urine in the latter chapters.....

Who doesn't love a spoiler[former human who's mutated into a living toilet- that licks underaged girl's asses clean...and yes the writer had Riko enjoy it.]

don't forget the spoiler[four [expletive] panels dedicated to close ups of riko making o-faces while the toilet ate her out.]

fun fact: this was the first and, as of this post, only chapter of made in abyss i have ever read. i'm sure you can figure out why i've never gone back to it.[/spoiler]
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

You're not to far into the manga then- 'cause it's all about the fecal matter more than urine in the latter chapters.....

Who doesn't love a spoiler[former human who's mutated into a living toilet- that licks underaged girl's asses clean...and yes the writer had Riko enjoy it.]

The fauq i just read... was this in the movie? I know it was not in the series[/quote]

Won't be in the movie, it happens a lot later on. Other scenes during that arc include spoiler[a creature offering to buy Riko's body (because human children are "the most valuable"), tentacle-ish creatures groping Reg, creatures pulling Riko's clothes off and sticking odd tendrils in her mouth, a cute little creature's organs getting squeezed so hard their intestines pop out of their butt and a monster with a big, pimply ass)]

I enjoy the manga but not enough to defend the shit that happens in it lol
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, ew, this is weird in a very bad way. I mean, the concept itself is kind of creepy, but to color it like THAT? At least if, say, someone did a "Gelfling essence" drink tie-in for The Dark Crystal, it wouldn't LOOK gross.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

The fauq i just read... was this in the movie? I know it was not in the series

The arcs after what this movie adapted-Heck just read chapter 50...That chapter alone pretty much encapsulates all of the author's fetishes,plus just how dark Made in Abyss truly is.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
I think this is [expletive] hysterical myself.

Its Black Comedy. Its gonna be gross, and some people should just accept that.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Who knows it might taste awesome but just horrible with the name.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Won't be in the movie, it happens a lot later on. Other scenes during that arc include spoiler[a creature offering to buy Riko's body (because human children are "the most valuable"), tentacle-ish creatures groping Reg, creatures pulling Riko's clothes off and sticking odd tendrils in her mouth, a cute little creature's organs getting squeezed so hard their intestines pop out of their butt and a monster with a big, pimply ass)]

To be fair, a couple of those spoilers you gave are rather misleading, to the point that they border on being disingenuous.

spoiler[The creature who offers to buy Riko's body literally wants her body to live in; it was a solicitation for "body swapping", not prostitution. And likewise, the statement about the "value of human children" in that context had nothing to do with sex either. ] Those scenes are body horror, not sexual in the slightest.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
To be fair, a couple of those spoilers you gave are rather misleading, to the point that they border on being disingenuous.

spoiler[The creature who offers to buy Riko's body literally wants her body to live in; it was a solicitation for "body swapping", not prostitution. And likewise, the statement about the "value of human children" in that context had nothing to do with sex either. ] Those scenes are body horror, not sexual in the slightest.

True, but when you look at it in the context of all the other skeevy stuff in the manga, you can't help but seeing it (At least, at first) in a bit of a creepy way. (And I don't mean just a body horror creepy way)
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
True, but when you look at it in the context of all the other skeevy stuff in the manga, you can't help but seeing it (At least, at first) in a bit of a creepy way. (And I don't mean just a body horror creepy way)

Bondrewd feels like an author insert, to be honest. I am truly glad I dropped this series.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

This isn't even the weirdest themed cafe foodstuffs you can find in Japan. There's cafes that bill their brown curry sauce as diarrhea and plate it accordingly, It's probably a bit weird for westerners, but you can find food in the shape of body fluids or sex organs in Japan quite commonly. People have probably heard of nyotaimori, at the very least. I mean, Shin-chan sells butt pudding, so why not this? This is plain vanilla compared to others I've seen and read about
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

This isn't even the weirdest themed cafe foodstuffs you can find in Japan. There's cafes that bill their brown curry sauce as diarrhea and plate it accordingly, It's probably a bit weird for westerners, but you can find food in the shape of body fluids or sex organs in Japan quite commonly. People have probably heard of nyotaimori, at the very least. I mean, Shin-chan sells butt pudding, so why not this? This is plain vanilla compared to others I've seen and read about

I think the issue isn't just the "urine" name/color but the fetishization of children peeing themselves/having urine extracted from them (along with other similar sexualized imagery of children being tortured) that is quite common in the series that makes it specially off-putting.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I think the issue isn't just the "urine" name/color but the fetishization of children peeing themselves/having urine extracted from them (along with other similar sexualized imagery of children being tortured) that is quite common in the series that makes it specially off-putting.

Pretty tame, I'd say. spoiler[Later in the story, we learn how the 'narehate village' came to be. The guide the ancient explorer team had in the backstory was infertile(and, well, a child too...) and they came across an artifact that could grant wishes. So what does she wish for? To be able to give birth. Wish granted. Except, because you know there's always an except with this author. What she gives birth to is stillborn. For the rest of the team, which isn't much of a team anymore as much as a few on the brink of madness at this point, this seems to come as a welcome break as they start using those stillborns as food because everything else seems to have a nasty tendency to result in body horror. Ah, did I mention she can't stop giving birth? And apparently she's immortal now.

Fast forward to the events after Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul, you have a 'thriving village'. ...Of body horror.]

So yes, urine isn't really that much of all things extracted in this story Confused ...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's really gross. Even the comparison image from the show makes me wonder if I'm going to enjoy this next arc of the anime nearly as much as I had been expecting.

Suffering/pain/hardship is an important thing for characters to endure for a story to have any depth, but the, er, particulars of this form of it seem in unnecessarily poor taste..
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
@Blanchimont

spoiler[
Irumyuui's children weren't stillborn-this is Made in Abyss we're talking about here-All her children starved to death due to being born without a digestive system,Faputa being the single exception.

(Irumyuui went on to morph into the village itself ....)
]
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
@Nordhmmer You're right, forgot about that. Been a while since I read it.

...Though somehow I don't think that makes it any better. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4