• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The God of High School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
because quitting early just reeks of impatience and having demanding standards.

Nothing wrong with having demanding standards. Just like there's nothing wrong with not having demanding standards.

I echo all of Minos_Kurumada's questions and add two more: why did she have to quit the tournament to get married (wedding didn't seem to be held on a fight day), and if she quit, how was she fighting at the end? Seems like telling them you resign would be something you couldn't come back later and say, "Oops, changed my mind."
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Hate to find myself defending the webtoon, considering that so far I've been enjoying the anime far more (and only really reading the webtoon for the Korean reading practice)... so I won't do that, but instead muse a little about the differences between how the latest arc was portrayed in the webtoon and the anime, while providing answers to good-faith questions Very Happy

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
-¿Why is Mira's dojo not full of students wanting to learn the style of one of the top 4 fighters on this super popular tournament?

-¿Why is she fighting in a sailor fuku instead of the uniform of her dojo for extra publicity if she cares so much about reviving the business?

Less of an answer and more of a comment on the differences (I feel like most of what I write here is gonna be that), but a major difference in the webtoon is that, unless I'm forgetting something from the earlier chapters, there doesn't even seem to be a dojo at this point. Even the bit with Mira's uncle trying and failing to teach kids in the aftermath of his brother's death is anime-original. For all intents and purposes Mira is the Moonlight School.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
-¿Why is she still cut the next day? ¿What happened to the nanomachines?
The webtoon actually states that the nanomachines don't work nearly as well on wounds sustained away from the tournament area. Jin Mori even weighs in that the wounds he got when fighting the commissioner prior to the tournament weren't fully healed either (and I don't think he ever brought them up prior to this arc).

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
-¿Why doesn't she have a sword the next day? ¿Couldn't she pick a shinai from the dojo?
The webtoon shows that she had to buy a new one, only to have it break under the force of Daewi's first hit. Not sure if the anime wants us to think that she decided to fight swordless, or just that Daewi's hit caused it to fly off somewhere we couldn't see (I suspect they might have given up on drawing the sword because the scheduling wasn't in their favor).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I echo all of Minos_Kurumada's questions and add two more: why did she have to quit the tournament to get married (wedding didn't seem to be held on a fight day),

This is something that applies to both the webtoon and the anime, but might have been demonstrated more clearly in the former. It's not that she had to quit the tournament, it's that she had no more reason to participate, considering that her primary motivation for joining in the first place was to revive her family dojo, and now there seemed to be a much easier way of doing it. The webtoon provides her with a couple of extra bits of motivation: A) her family is poor and heavily indebted, and B) a somewhat iffier aspect of the webtoon's character of Mira and her relationship to her father's memory in that instead of telling her that she must find a "strong successor" to revive the dojo he implores her to find a strong seed, so the idea of saving the dojo is tied strongly to finding a suitable husband in her head. The anime thankfully tones that down (although it does introduce a bit of an inconsistency, in that Mira's father tells her to find a "strong successor" in episode 2, but in episode 4 she repeatedly points out that she's the successor) and even the webtoon mostly plays it for laughs, but that bit of characterization is still there.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
and if she quit, how was she fighting at the end? Seems like telling them you resign would be something you couldn't come back later and say, "Oops, changed my mind."
Now this is something where the webtoon is pretty much equally unclear. Mori does say that he'd heard about Mira's wedding from the commissioners, and Mira does say that she doesn't intend to fight any further, but no explicit mention is made of her going trough any formal procedures to withdraw from the tournament, or for that matter to be reinstated in it. Guess we're supposed to assume she meant to hand in her resignation immediately after the wedding Smile

Anyway, I do agree that it was one of the more bizarre arcs of the story and I'm glad that the anime didn't spend more than one episode on it, but a part of me wonders if it could be adapted in a slightly less confusing way..
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The webtoon actually states that the nanomachines don't work nearly as well on wounds sustained away from the tournament area. Jin Mori even weighs in that the wounds he got when fighting the commissioner prior to the tournament weren't fully healed either (and I don't think he ever brought them up prior to this arc).

How convenient...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, totally forgot to mention one thing that was a lot clearer in the webtoon (spoilering this since it's very likely to be addressed in the next episode): spoiler[the webtoon explicitly states that Daewi's friend is not dead as of his fight with Mira, just in a critical condition and very likely to die within the next few days. I guess the anime hints at that by having Daewi's bullies approach him under the assumption that the friend is on the brink of death but not actually dead yet, but apparently a lot of people, including James, assumed that they weren't up to date and that the scene in the hospital showed him die.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What about Daewi? Does he also have magic fighting powers, and if so, how much of the crazy visual touches we see in this fight should we take literally?

IIRC the four special forms of his karate move around air and manipulate air pressure so he can finish people with an air cannon (Azure Dragon), no superpowers there just MARTIAL ARTS. It's been a while since I've read the webtoon though. I don't remember the details of Mori's Green Dragon Kick unfortunately.
Quote:
why does the world not seem in any way phased by the presence of giant evil ghost Stand things and teenagers who fight like Dragonball Z charatcers!?

*fazed
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Being a reader of the GoH webtoon and having just watched the big fight between Daewi and Mori in ep 5, I really suggest those wanting more context to read the webtoon.

The anime is going at a blistering speed and while characterization is understandably skipped over for the fancy fight scenes, I feel as if even those aren't reaching the heights they could be. Sure, they're highly stylized and pretty to look at, but personally I'm taken out of the fights because I know the webtoon explains the use of the fighters' techniques, which gives them plausibility on a technical level instead of simply showing move spam that comes out of nowhere. It was made really apparent in this episode with the lack of explanation for Daewi's stances and Mori's techniques, as well as his final one.

Oh, and I'm really not a fan of how Mori's signature move, the Triple Kick, is portrayed in the anime: spoiler[https://godofhighschool.fandom.com/wiki/3rd_Stance_Hwechook]
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ProlificSky wrote:
Being a reader of the GoH webtoon and having just watched the big fight between Daewi and Mori in ep 5, I really suggest those wanting more context to read the webtoon.

The anime is going at a blistering speed and while characterization is understandably skipped over for the fancy fight scenes, I feel as if even those aren't reaching the heights they could be. Sure, they're highly stylized and pretty to look at, but personally I'm taken out of the fights because I know the webtoon explains the use of the fighters' techniques, which gives them plausibility on a technical level instead of simply showing move spam that comes out of nowhere. It was made really apparent in this episode with the lack of explanation for Daewi's stances and Mori's techniques, as well as his final one.

Oh, and I'm really not a fan of how Mori's signature move, the Triple Kick, is portrayed in the anime: spoiler[https://godofhighschool.fandom.com/wiki/3rd_Stance_Hwechook]

I think the reason why the cut out the technical jargon in all the moves & techniques is because it would interrupt the pacing of the fights. The battles so far have all been just continuous movement, neither character letting up, and just constantly fighting with nonstop choreography.

Stopping to explain every the moves & how they function would disrupt that. Hell the review for this episode felt that Daewi's flashbacks disrupted the pacing to his battle with Jin. It be worse if they constantly stopped every time someone pulled a new move & explained it.
ProlificSky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I totally get that, which is why my complaint is a personal one. While I enjoy constant uninterrupted action, I also really enjoy the more measured, technical kind you would find in series such as Hunter x Hunter and Jojo.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have had an issue with the GoH anime if I hadn't read the webtoon first, since it did provide context for all the action.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The webtoon actually states that the nanomachines don't work nearly as well on wounds sustained away from the tournament area.

You're learning Korean now? Very Happy

I went to look up the part about the wedding (I had read quite a bit of GoHS when it first came out but lost track of it after awhile and recall next to none of it) and saw that she did seek treatment with nanomachines and they yelled at her that they weren't a public health center and they wouldn't do it again for injuries sustained outside of the ring. Yet in the anime, she apparently got yelled at for not seeking treatment! Girl can't win no how.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You're learning Korean now? Very Happy

Well I sorta have been doing that on and off for the better part of a decade, but I feel like I've only actually been making any progress now, after discovering webtoons via Crunchyroll's adaptations. Having interesting content to consume goes a long way Smile
db999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that I ended up liking this episode. If someone had told me a few weeks ago that this series was going to have an episode lacking in fights, and focusing completely on the plot, I would have been dreading getting here. It's nice to finally get most of the necessary context for what's going on. Sure it's nothing groundbreaking, pretty much just standard action show fare, but it's at least somewhat effective in delivering this exposition. The only parts of this episode that didn't work for me were the deaths at the end, because we've gotten absolutely nothing to develop those characters beforehand. I also liked the show finally clarifying that the people behind the tournament are supposedly not the villains of the series but the rival organization Nox. I thought back in the awful wedding episode that the robed people were allied with the tournament organizers, but it's nice to get confirmation that the guy who tried to marry Mira was part of this rival villain group. I wouldn't want to many episodes of this type in the series, but I'm glad we got this one at least because now I might actually find the plot somewhat interesting. I could have kept watching this show completely based just on the fight scenes alone, but hopefully from now on I won't be so actively disinterested in the plot when fights aren't happening.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Feels like this anime is quite useless to review since they're skipping 80% of the story and fight expositions. It's just one big animation galore.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
You know, i hate being the type of person that says that reviewers are out of touch but this review seems a bit odd to me.

Yes, there are issues with how Mira is handled, how characters are introduced and then killed in some cases and the general introduction of stuff. I however am not entirely sure that makes this a terrible episode, not great sure, but not terrible.

I guess it's mainly because i came into this episode expecting set up and expansion of the conflict from a small scale to a large scale and i got that. I just feel there is a difference of expectation.

Regardless, while the stuff with Mori can be quite on the nose and the previous mentioned flaws, I still find the show has some worth following for pure insanity
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
which isn't presented as a flashback even though it has to be
The apparent shift in time of day doesn't count? Did it need a sepia filter?
Quote:
He has a Joker card, on account of being so twisted. Who is he?
That was Q's card, since jokers are his aesthetic.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
just looking up the best fight scene clips on YouTube

This is exactly what i will do after watching epi 7... Man, all i thought during the epi was: 'THIS S* MAKES NO F* SENSE!'... In one scene the guy was impaled by a scythe, and in the other he was ok and even his clothes weren't torn... And then we have the shark scene... WTF????????? That guy was chewed really, REALLY good and lost a TONNNNNNNNNNNNN of blood, but in the next scene he just had some minor wound? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?????????? --' What a trash show... crunchyroll is at 1x0 for me now... Lets see what will happen with Noblesse... ;/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8