• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:17 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I liked wandering witch, but holy crap, worst parent ever! And I feel like her parent and Fran get off way too easily. First Elaina is already facing setback by not being able to find a tutor, so getting someone to to force to deal with setback makes no sense. Second, either someone never face setback, in which case its pointless for them to learn to deal with them, or someone will eventually face a setback anyway and will learn to deal with it then, setting one up is then pointless. Third, what was the parent goal? How would having Elaina serve as a de facto slave for a month teach her anything? Sure Fran ended up teaching her a "good" lesson but that wasn't her parent goal. Also I'm not sure the lesson is a good one, it sounds like Elaina had literally no other option but to apprentice under a witch, what should she have done if Fran really was bent on just exploiting her, steal the badge while Fran is asleep and claim she's a witch now? But everything is fine cause Fran said she was sorry (after beating up Elaina) and Elaina is just okay with her parent? I don't think I'd ever want to see my parent again after they'd pull something like that on me and even if Fran ended up teaching me anything I would not be sad at all seeing her leave.
The parents' goal was to discourage her from becoming a witch, or at least that was how I read it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole bit with the root demon in Yashahime is supposed to be adapted from an epilogue chapter that Takahashi wrote as part of charity anthology with other Shonen Sunday titles for the Tohoku earthquake relief, but it's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
meiam wrote:
I liked wandering witch, but holy crap, worst parent ever! And I feel like her parent and Fran get off way too easily. First Elaina is already facing setback by not being able to find a tutor, so getting someone to to force to deal with setback makes no sense. Second, either someone never face setback, in which case its pointless for them to learn to deal with them, or someone will eventually face a setback anyway and will learn to deal with it then, setting one up is then pointless. Third, what was the parent goal? How would having Elaina serve as a de facto slave for a month teach her anything? Sure Fran ended up teaching her a "good" lesson but that wasn't her parent goal. Also I'm not sure the lesson is a good one, it sounds like Elaina had literally no other option but to apprentice under a witch, what should she have done if Fran really was bent on just exploiting her, steal the badge while Fran is asleep and claim she's a witch now? But everything is fine cause Fran said she was sorry (after beating up Elaina) and Elaina is just okay with her parent? I don't think I'd ever want to see my parent again after they'd pull something like that on me and even if Fran ended up teaching me anything I would not be sad at all seeing her leave.
The parents' goal was to discourage her from becoming a witch, or at least that was how I read it.

The point was to teach Elaina about how to deal with setbacks more aggressively and pointedly. When a kid has succeeded on their merits alone their whole lives, they won't know how to deal with conflict that is patently unfair, or with people who will exploit their willingness to work within the system to get by. Her parents knew that, if she tried to go and travel the world on her own without figuring this out, she'd be screwed, and the lesson would be more meaningful coming from a witch, instead of them. At least, that's how I read the situation.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Warlords of Sigrdrifa links to Inuyasha in the guide.

Fixed.

Re: Elaina's parents discourse.

It wasn't to discourage her from becoming a witch. Elaina is gifted so everything has more or less been easy for her. Her parents notice that when she put down her fellow testers as "weak" that it was a likely outcome that she'd continue on that path and could easily become full of herself or lack empathy for those around her who struggle at things that come easy for her.

So they paid off her teacher to push her in a way that would make her experience hardship and frustration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

It wasn't to discourage her from becoming a witch. Elaina is gifted so everything has more or less been easy for her. Her parents notice that when she put down her fellow testers as "weak" that it was a likely outcome that she'd continue on that path and could easily become full of herself or lack empathy for those around her who struggle at things that come easy for her.

So they paid off her teacher to push her in a way that would make her experience hardship and frustration.

I agree with all of this, but I'm with meiam that Fran took it too far - something that's a particular issue of hers in later chapters, too. From reading the first two novels, my two cents is that Fran's power is offset by the fact that she's a very poor judge of when and how to use it, particularly when teaching others.

Thinking about it, that starting with the chronological first story meant that the anime opened with a Fran story is part of why I was hoping that they'd stick with the order in the books...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I think the whole bit with the root demon in Yashahime is supposed to be adapted from an epilogue chapter that Takahashi wrote as part of charity anthology with other Shonen Sunday titles for the Tohoku earthquake relief, but it's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure.

Very Interesting because when watching it reminded me of Inuyasha filler episodes not written by Takahashi.,
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't quite caught up on everything yet, but holy hell Warlords Of Sigrdrifa is already in the running for AOTS solely based on the character interactions alone. Ironically the actual plane battles were the least impressive element for me, even if the climax of Miyako divebombing with her katana was raw as hell, but the sharp rapport these really well-characterized girls have is dome of the most enjoyable I've seen in a long time. Dismissing them as stock archetypes is doing them a disservice I feel, with the exception of possibly Miyako. But the narrative on display with that first episode is good and tightly written enough that I could easily see this as just a standalone OVA story. I'm really curious where they're going to go from here. It sucks to see people write this show off because of a somewhat derivative premise, because the execution really is top-notch.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

I agree with all of this, but I'm with meiam that Fran took it too far - something that's a particular issue of hers in later chapters, too. From reading the first two novels, my two cents is that Fran's power is offset by the fact that she's a very poor judge of when and how to use it, particularly when teaching others.

Thinking about it, that starting with the chronological first story meant that the anime opened with a Fran story is part of why I was hoping that they'd stick with the order in the books...

Look at it this way: stories wouldn't be interesting if the characters were perfect all the time and didn't have realistic flaws.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The Hanyo no Yashahime premiere adapted the final epilogue chapter of the manga that The Final Act had no time for. It's nice that they went ahead and did that, as unnecessary as it we as to do a decade after the fact. I guess we have to wait a week for the real story to begin.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Out of all of the franchises featuring OP protagonists in a magic school setting, Mahouka easily has the most passionate defenders.

A lot of that has to do with how detractors tend to ignore what it's going for. They see an OP protagonist and write the series off as garbage. I'd see where they were coming from if it was another "protag is supposed to be normal/weak but the plot finds ways to make them unbeatable" series, but it's not. It's an "OP character tries to live a normal life but fails miserably" series.

Quote:
Whenever someone uses the phrase “OP” in reference to an anime protagonist, my mind immediately shoots to Tatsuya from The Irregular at Magic High School. That quality stands to get him in some trouble this season (or rather, more trouble) because he's now firmly in the sights of foreign powers who aren't sure they're comfortable with what he can do

She gets it.

It's fine if some one doesn't like this, fans just want to make sure it's for accurate reasons.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
FYI, I noticed that the guide is using a lot of my translations of the plot synopses; I didn't have access to any official translations at the time, so if any of mine differ from what came out in the final subtitles themselves, let me know so I can adjust them. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
A lot of that has to do with how detractors tend to ignore what it's going for. They see an OP protagonist and write the series off as garbage. I'd see where they were coming from if it was another "protag is supposed to be normal/weak but the plot finds ways to make them unbeatable" series, but it's not. It's an "OP character tries to live a normal life but fails miserably" series.

Frankly, the franchise does not do a good job at that, either. What the franchise wants to do with Tatsuya is pretty obvious, but the writing skill to pull it off is not there. Even considering that, he still comes off as "I'm cool because I'm unbeatable and a master at everything except interpersonal skills." Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" comes to mind frequently when I see Tatsuya on the screen. (If no one has ever made this AMV featuring Tatsuya then a golden opportunity has been wasted.)

I'll still be watching the series, though, because fortunately it has merits besides Tatsuya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
If I counted correctly, of the ones covered so far, that's 7 Funi (and sometimes Hulu) exclusives, 6 CR exclusives, and one on both. Almost a perfect split... makes me feel like they're doing this intentionally.

Wandering Witch is the only one so far that catches my interest at all and, of course, it's on Funi. Couldn't watch Deca-Dence last season for the same reason. I can't stand this system. Guess I'll have to decide whether to give up and buy another entire service just for anime streaming, or go the yar-har route again.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
^
That split won't stay relatively even, as the bulk of the titles from this point out are currently Funi exclusives. CR still has a few claim slots left, though, so they may be co-releasing a few things. By the end of the PG season it will probably be closer to a 2:1 ration for in favor of Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
FYI Yu in the new love live is a stand in for the player hell her name is yu the same as persona 4's stand in
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14