• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Northern War (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
That's kinda what I remember as well spoiler[except I don't remember Fie being involved], but there's also supposed to be the Rean thing that happens and somehow they gonna have to deal with Lavi's commander and have some sort of conclusion for all these anime original characters. That's all supposed to happen in one episode?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
Well, gosh, that wasn't confusing at all!!! Yep, as a non-gamer, I had NO problem following the blizzard of characters who pop up and totally followed all the situations. Really. Honest.

Okay, so that's a massive lie. BUT! At least there actually is a Northern War... sort of.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
That was most certainly an ending of all time, yep. Probably about the best we could hope for, given the limitations, track record, and sheer number of dangling plot threads.

So, let me start with Rean- one of the few potential wtf elements that I can actually explain. spoiler[He's had the ability to tap into some unexplained dark power (and it is frequently remarked upon as feeling "dark" or "evil",) for about as long as he can remember. However, he loses himself when he does so. So he's always been afraid of the damage he could do, if he were to completely lose control to this power. Thats one of the reasons he learned swordsmanship-to practice self discipline and fine control. He gained limited control of it recently in the timeline, but then it grew yet stronger. He blacks out completely, annihilates enemies around him, and wakes up days later with no memory of what happened. This scares him, but it also gives him reason to retire from active duty- if he goes out of control, he'll make tense situations much worse, so he needs to stay more on the sidelines. And after the conversation with Lavi, he "retires" into teaching history at a military academy, which is where game 3 picks up.
]

Jayna, I have no answers for. I feel like I should look a bit harder at her whole speech; that reads like something that may hint at implications for wider Trails lore. But as is, she's a frustratingly bland villain in a series that typically does better. As with a few characters- Talion, as an example- the arc isn't inherently bad, but they needed more time to flesh out the development.

To restate my problems with the overall show- it has 2 fundamental issues, before any qualms I may have about the execution. It cannot decide who the intended audience is, or even what the intended story is. We have distracting cameos, the early extended travelogue, too little info for newcomers, but established fans are wondering when they'll get what they came for. Its a mess. I can see a good show in these ingredients, but what was presented is ill considered.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:08 pm Reply with quote
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Convoluted nonsense. I don't really understand what Tally's deal was. I didn't understand at all why he changed sides in the first place or why he decided to change sides again in the end. No idea what the evil woman's motive was.

If I understood correctly, the rookies were the ones somehow controlling the archaisms, but the whole pocket dimension shit was extremely confusing. The evil woman said something about curses, no idea what that was about. The curse that I know of from the games is an entirely different thing.

The way Rean loses control was weird. One second he is fine, then the next he suddenly goes berserk. The scene is poorly constructed, it gave me the impression that the stuff going on with Lavi was somehow affecting Rean but that doesn't make any sense. If it's emotional turmoil over not being strong enough to protect the civilians then it feels like his sudden loss of control lacks a proper trigger, like someone getting injured or something. I'm guessing it's the rushed pacing just making that scene come out so weird. And pretty much right after waking up from being unconscious for multiple days, he is up and about being his usual self when this incident is supposed to still be affecting him like 2 years after all this.

Awful, just an awful finale. Well, at least Kevin and Ries got some acknowledgement.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

If even people who have played the games are lost, imagine how a non-gamer like me must feel. What a mess. I've rated this Not Really Good and I feel I'm being a bit generous. But you know the super weird part? Despite all its many problems, there was something about this show that kept me from dropping it. Wanna know something weirder? If there was a continuation, I would watch it.

Yeah, I know... I don't really understand my brain at times either and I actually own it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3