• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shinchosha Publishes AI-Drawn Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
SHD wrote:

....?? "Or what" should be my question, my friend. How exactly did you go from "AI doesn't interpret creatively, it's like a dog blindly responding to commands"

Because I feel it's a moral judgment, that's all.
From my own point of view it's a technological achievement and should be praised, not vilified. Again, it's the use that matters.

If you think that "AI is a machine that doesn't have any inspiration or creativity of its own and thus is not doing a conscious effort at producing art, instead it's mechanically mixing elements according to a set of triggers and an algorithm, ergo any result it produces cannot be regarded as the same as an artist being inspired by others' art" is a moral judgement then I think I have to remind you that as far as we are aware AI are not considered a sentient lifeform yet, no matter what certain Google developers may think. Hell, it has less creative vision than those zoo animals who produce "art" by randomly smashing a brush against a white canvas, because at least those animals can make a conscious decision to say, use the red paint instead of blue, because for whatever reason that appeals to them more. AI doesn't understand the concept of "this appeals to me".

I work with AI language engines and machine translation daily, as part of my job. I think it has now evolved to a level where, for many languages it can work almost(!) perfectly with certain(!) types of text. But no matter how good it is, it doesn't know what it's doing. It doesn't understand the text that it's translating. It's mixing and matching and evaluating the result according to a complex set of guidelines, but it doesn't make decisions based on the meaning of the text. Eg. it doesn't understand formality levels, it only knows "if X then A", "if Y then B", and it doesn't realize when context should overwrite that. Lower level MT doesn't even understand segment breaks, doesn't understand scene cuts, doesn't understand context. In short, it can't understand the text it works with, it doesn't even understand the difference between a contract and a sci-fi short story. And it still needs a human input to tell it whether it's doing its job well or not, because on its own it can't tell if it produced a superb translation or complete garbage word salad. (The result it produces on creative works is hilariously similar to those scanlations or lyrics translations where the so-called translator is clearly just going from one sentence to another, without being able to interpret the text as a whole.) I like to call it "write only mode."

tl;dr: MT/AI translation has evolved enough that it's capable under the right circumstances(!!!) but what it's doing is not the result of any creative and conscious work. It's a dog bringing toys to its trainer, but it can't tell why it's doing it, what the trainer wants, or whether it's even doing a good job without being explicitly told so.

Also, I'd like to point out that the text we train our engines with is sourced from our own archive that we paid for and is legally our property, the translators having signed their rights away to us, with their full knowledge, after having been compensated for their work. We didn't just grab a database of text lying around and used it without its owners' permission (or without any quality check, for that matter).

ximpalullaorg wrote:
Stealing = physically remove the item/whatever from circulation. Best case (but the law is not up to par) would be unauthorized use or reproduction, not stealing.

Sophism = what you just did above. Look, no matter how you twist the words, the fact is that 1. currently existing AI image generators are mindless algorithms working from databases of works by artists who never gave any permission for their works to be used that way, which is already shitty, and then you have people making money from images generated this way, which is double shitty; 2. due to the above, AI image generators are able to generate images based on the style of individual artists, which is HUGELY shitty and brings up incredibly important questions re: intellectual property, copyright, etc. And until these shitty aspects are sorted out no-one should be able to make money from images generated this way, or I argue no-one should be even allowed to call these images their own creation. Or even "art".

Last edited by SHD on Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Don't like it on social medias. Don't buy it. Don't read it. Boycott it.

If it doesn't have any success, nobody will use it to sell something made with it. But we need a law that says that they need to have a BIG RED STICKER "An AI has been used to create this work" on their work.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
nemuyoake wrote:
If it doesn't have any success, nobody will use it to sell something made with it. But we need a law that says that they need to have a BIG RED STICKER "An AI has been used to create this work" on their work.

Probably don't need a law --- the sticker will be there to boost sales as a novelty item, unless the work actually is, you know, good.

I remember when Photoshop was first introduced there was some outrage at a photographer who used it to revise the composition of a photograph (moved a pyramid in a photo that ended up on the cover of National Geographic). And I think some photos of models were modified to make them slimmer, or their lips fuller, or something, and this was scandalous. Is that still considered a big deal? Or is Photoshop now just a tool that photographers use?
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

If you think that "AI is a machine that doesn't have any inspiration or creativity of its own and thus is not doing a conscious effort at producing art, instead it's mechanically mixing elements according to a set of triggers and an algorithm, ergo any result it produces cannot be regarded as the same as an artist being inspired by others' art" is a moral judgement then I think I have to remind you that as far as we are aware AI are not considered a sentient lifeform yet, no matter what certain Google developers may think.

I'm perfectly aware. In fact, even AI as a definition is wrong. But this whole discussion is moral, because people (not talking about anyone writing here, just a generalization) assume that's inherently "evil".

Quote:
Hell, it has less creative vision than those zoo animals who produce "art" by randomly smashing a brush against a white canvas, because at least those animals can make a conscious decision to say, use the red paint instead of blue, because for whatever reason that appeals to them more. AI doesn't understand the concept of "this appeals to me".

Once I for fun I messed up the prompt and I got a completely abstract art which may be the sum of other "visions" but in the end was something that didn't exist beforehand (also, it was horrible to look at, but that's beside the point).

Quote:
tl;dr: MT/AI translation has evolved enough that it's capable under the right circumstances(!!!) but what it's doing is not the result of any creative and conscious work. It's a dog bringing toys to its trainer, but it can't tell why it's doing it, what the trainer wants, or whether it's even doing a good job without being explicitly told so.

I know how a model works. That's certainly not limited to AI.

Quote:
We didn't just grab a database of text lying around and used it without its owners' permission (or without any quality check, for that matter).

Let me be clear: there is discussion to be made regarding how to treat generated artworks, but the "general passive-aggressive" attitude towards it isn't doing any favor to those who want some kind of "regulation".

Quote:

Sophism = what you just did above.

Since when the law is sophism?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Aside from all the arguments about whether this is morally acceptable or the death of art as we know it or whatever, I'm kinda surprised it got published, given it looks... quite bad, even by AI art standards. They tried to disguise it by using an indistinct and mushy art style, but even the sample pages (presumably some of the best ones) are full of bizarre shapes and general weirdness. Just look at this one. Disintegrating arms and feet, a nose that looks like it was glued on, some sort of incomprehensible device vaguely shaped like a gun, and what is even happening in that last panel? Was she shot by a melt-ray?

Most likely, this was published because it's AI art--it's a hot new gimmick, and controversy is, as always, free advertising. Making something good and consistent--and not freaky unintentional surrealism--with AI remains extremely difficult, because none of the current techniques use anything like "intelligence." They're just blending existing artworks together using word association, with no comprehension of what the words mean or what art is meant to depict. Apps for morphing multiple faces into one existed 20 years ago; this is just a more advanced version, with more inputs and more potential for copyright infringement.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

Stealing others work is not a groundbreaking new achievement. Unethically, and illegally, using others work for their own profit is an extremely old practice and it sure is weird how many people want to view that as praise worthy while shitting on the work that was stolen.

Stealing = physically remove the item/whatever from circulation. Best case (but the law is not up to par) would be unauthorized use or reproduction, not stealing.
It's actually the same fallacy as piracy = stealing.

Thank you for illustrating the absolute terrible brain dead logic it takes to buy into this stuff. Profound stuff. You are exactly the type of person the creators of AI art programs were thinking of when they knowingly stole the work of thousands of artists. They did so knowing it was illegal, but that doing it legally would be incredibly expensive. So instead they simply stole, and then figured if they could convince enough people that already hate artists and artistic pursuits that they could argue that there actually wasn’t anything wrong with what they did because hey, fudge those artists. The entire discussion about it being new tech has nothing to do with the practice they did to create it already being illegal. It’s just a convenient excuse to try and move the discussion towards something easier for people to eat up, which is apparently that artists are an entitled lot. It’s so bald faced and stupid but hey, here you are arguing it. You’ve even got people pretending this has any resemblance to photography, where if all you did was have a robot click a shutter to take picture of other peoples work it would obviously not be you making art, just low effort plagiarism. All the while the guys that threw these things together are brazenly open about how they did it for money, are making tons of money off them, and desperately hoping that they can argue that existing laws shouldn’t apply to them for nebulous reasons surrounding profit.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:09 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Aside from all the arguments about whether this is morally acceptable or the death of art as we know it or whatever, I'm kinda surprised it got published, given it looks... quite bad, even by AI art standards. They tried to disguise it by using an indistinct and mushy art style, but even the sample pages (presumably some of the best ones) are full of bizarre shapes and general weirdness. Just look at this one. Disintegrating arms and feet, a nose that looks like it was glued on, some sort of incomprehensible device vaguely shaped like a gun, and what is even happening in that last panel? Was she shot by a melt-ray?

This is pretty much my thought. It's gonna suffer from the same AI art thing where everything looks fine at a glance but completely falls apart once you look too closely and see the gun has a second trigger. The problem is the fact that it's AI has created automatic promotion
overlordrae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Unethical training sets aside(and yes they ARE unethical), AI works have been ruled to not be able to be copyrighted in the USA. Honestly many companies might not want to go this route because it'll be open season on piracy.
Predictabo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:27 pm Reply with quote
overlordrae wrote:
Unethical training sets aside(and yes they ARE unethical), AI works have been ruled to not be able to be copyrighted in the USA. Honestly many companies might not want to go this route because it'll be open season on piracy.

Only because the perceived lack of "human authorship" in 100% machine made outputs. The element of human authorship can easily be added back into the equation and achieve copyright status. For example, someone taking the output into Photoshop to edit, recolor, paint over, manipulate or combine multiple AI outputs into a single image.

AI assisted artwork is 100% copyrightable under current laws. The keyword being assisted.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:30 am Reply with quote
I can see this being useful for people who can't draw but have stories in their head and want to produce comics.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
I can see this being useful for people who can't draw but have stories in their head and want to produce comics.

Then they should write a novel.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:05 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
Then they should write a novel.

Or find an actual artist and hire them to illustrate their stories.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
OK, I think people are mixing up why exactly AI art is bad. It's not that "AI is a machine so anything it creates is soulless," because, as others have mentioned, plenty of artists use machines/technology to create their art. The reason that AI art is bad is that it's art theft, plain and simple.

These artists who have spent hours on their own art have not consented to having their art fed into a machine learning algorithm. And, what's more, a lot of these AI art tools are themselves subscription services, so these companies are actually profiting from widespread art theft, while actual artists are still continuously undervalued for the great work they produce.

What's more, as someone else pointed out, companies are already using these tools to circumvent hiring actual artists. Just look at the recent controversy in the publishing world where they decide to use an AI generated book cover instead of hiring an actual artist. Just like how you see a lot of translation companies nowadays choosing to underpay their translators by hiring them as "editors" to edit terrible machine translations (when doing so is actually more taxing on the translator since they have to fix all the mistakes compared to just translating themselves), you're seeing the same thing in the art world now where big corporations are choosing to go with AI art as a cost cutting measure. They do not actually think AI art is better, they just know it's cheaper.

I actually think AI/machine learning tools can provide a lot of benefits, but unregulated as it is now, and with how greedy/money-pinching corporations are, it just leads to rampant art theft and simply contributes to the awful practice of underpaying actual artists.
Eggmade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:59 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Most likely, this was published because it's AI art--it's a hot new gimmick, and controversy is, as always, free advertising. Making something good and consistent--and not freaky unintentional surrealism--with AI remains extremely difficult, because none of the current techniques use anything like "intelligence." They're just blending existing artworks together using word association, with no comprehension of what the words mean or what art is meant to depict. Apps for morphing multiple faces into one existed 20 years ago; this is just a more advanced version, with more inputs and more potential for copyright infringement.

Second on this. Moral or not... The preview pages (which I assume as advertisement for the product should already select the very best pages to be shown to create excitement) are very amateurishly structured and genuinely hard to follow as each panel doesn't have a natural flow into the next one. The character also looks different from frames to frames, and their expressions are hard to read what the characters actually feel.

This is an insult to proclaim that art is dead because something like this. Also, just to give my two cents, real artists won't really get replaced by a computer. Personally, as an Art Director who works with creators (illustrators, copywriters, film directors, animators, and many more) to create the final product, artists' intention and input work wonder into creating a good work. AI that creates a stereotype of existing works without understanding what it is doing can't discuss with me regarding how to make something better than what I exactly tell it to do. At best, after the technology has developed enough to move beyond its current funk, it would create something beautifully mediocre that never challenge or dare to be better than the prompt given to it. We should never downplay how much an artist's humanity (experience, personal intention, artistic philosophy) upgrade the working process. Although arguing with directors can occasionally annoy me, our inputs together often end up creating the better products than what I would get if they mindlessly do precisely what I told them to shoot.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:41 am Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
OK, I think people are mixing up why exactly AI art is bad. It's not that "AI is a machine so anything it creates is soulless," because, as others have mentioned, plenty of artists use machines/technology to create their art.

I wasn't saying that "AI is a machine so anything it creates is soulless." I was arguing that creating an image using an AI generator is not in any way similar to an artist being inspired by other artists' work, something that people keep trotting out to defend people using AI image generators and claiming the result as their own work, and making money off of them.
Also, I wasn't saying anything about soullessness, I was saying that 1. AI, having no consciousness, cannot be inspired or have a creative vision, and that 2. whoever requests the image to be made has no real creative input, since they're at the mercy of the database and the algorithm, and all their input is trying to fine-tune the triggers of the algorithm so that the result it spits out is something that appeals to them. Basically there's no creative vision, inspiration or transformation involved at any step of the process -> it's not art.

I agree with the rest, though, and I also mentioned all that in my comments.

A note on translation, though:
Suxinn wrote:
Just like how you see a lot of translation companies nowadays choosing to underpay their translators by hiring them as "editors" to edit terrible machine translations (when doing so is actually more taxing on the translator since they have to fix all the mistakes compared to just translating themselves), you're seeing the same thing in the art world now where big corporations are choosing to go with AI art as a cost cutting measure. They do not actually think AI art is better, they just know it's cheaper.

While all this is true, I'd just like to point out the different levels of responsibility here. For one, translation companies do that not because they want to, 99% of the time, but because that's what their clients want. Clients are often perfectly aware that machine translation is inferior, but they just want to cut costs, and MT is infinitely cheaper than human translation, even with human editing involved. And there's a lot of cases where this actually makes sense both translation-wise and business-wise (note, most translation companies and freelance translators have been using computer assisted translatin tools such as translation memories for decades now, because there's just no point in translating documents built of stock elements such as contracts/TOS/etc. from scratch every single time). The problem comes when this attitude moves away from those cases and into more creative texts, which I was trying to draw attention to with my little tangent about MT/AI translations my a previous comment, that MT/AI simply can't handle well because it has no idea what it's doing.

So anyway, it's not the translation companies, it's the clients not willing to pay. And also - the end users. Because ultimately the clients are fine with the result, even if it's full MT with perhaps a human spending a bit of time correcting the worst errors, and that's because the end users are OK with the result as well, or if they're not, they're not complaining. So, do complain.

Last edited by SHD on Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6